Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No language, no learning

The first rule should be...

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    Well it doesn't help that when you "learn" some english at school and then go home and speak spanish you won't retain anything!!
    That social services forms must be filled out in English, BY THE APPLICANT and not by some nancy-boy do-gooder social worker/enabler. And after I am given power by universal acclimation, all applicants for social services as well as their children, must be sterilized. You're not gonna breed on my dime any more.

That is how I would fix the Welfare problem.
    Last edited by Effigy; October 19th, 2008 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Effigy View Post
    That social services forms be filled out in English, BY THE APPLICANT and not by some nancy-boy do-gooder social worker/enabler. And after I am given power by universal acclimation, all applicants for social services as well as their children will be sterilized. You're not gonna breed on my dime any more.

That is how I would fix the Welfare problem.

Or you can start by putting time limit's on it AND require residency requirements!

Or you can start by putting time limit's on it AND require residency requirements!
    AND sterilization. To receive welfare/medicaid, you should have to sign your life over to the state. Make them think about how bad they want it. And we have to make sterilization of any children absolutely mandatory. You cannot let laziness like this go on for more than one generation.

Kind of like Klinger's section 8 in MASH, "You're going to spend the rest of your life in high heels, soldier".

Quote Originally Posted by Effigy View Post
    AND sterilization. To receive welfare/medicaid, you should have to sign your life over to the state. Make them think about how bad they want it. And we have to make sterilization of any children absolutely mandatory. You cannot let laziness like this go on for more than one generation.

Kind of like Klinger's section 8 in MASH, "You're going to spend the rest of your life in high heels, soldier".

Your bumping this thread. This is about No language, no learning

Doug.. you can learn two or even 3 languages at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by PickOranges View Post
    Your bumping this thread. This is about No language, no learning

Doug.. you can learn two or even 3 languages at one time.
    No if it's being reenforced you can't!

I have a good friend that grew up on Grand Island whose grandparents spoke polish around the house. By the time he was in 11th grade he was fluent in English and polish but had lost most of the French he learned for the last 5 years because he never spoke it when he got home like he did english and polish!

No if it's being reenforced you can't!

I have a good friend that grew up on Grand Island whose grandparents spoke polish around the house. By the time he was in 11th grade he was fluent in English and polish but had lost most of the French he learned for the last 5 years because he never spoke it when he got home like he did english and polish!

Of course that is with anything.. You hve to stay on top of it. That girl has no interest in learning because it is work or in this case homework.

Don't blame me.. I am paying the tax dollars so she can learn. When I get old, she better do the same to take care with me with her tax dollars.

Thumbs up Puerto Rican don't have to learn English

Around the house or outside the house has nothing to do with speaking a language I want to speak. It's my choice and I am protected by the freedom of speech. However, when it comes to respect and communication within the country where the main language is spoken, it's a different issue.

The article this thread was reffered to mentions Puerto Ricans in Buffalo with an American passports. Think about Puerto Rico and it's history. Whoever comes from this country doesn't have to apply and pass the citizenship test, including the English Language test. Many people apply for the public assistance and granted its benefits without any problems. Puerto Ricans are citizens of the United States and don't have to follow steps that other ethnic groups have to struggle with. It's not fare and not easy. I bet you knew that. Right?

If learning English is an issue, this girl should arrange to take literacy classes after school. There are plenty of free programs at numerous community centers around Buffalo. All are offered at no charge. If she and her family are not aware of the locations, the school counselor should be able to provide the information. If transportation is an issue, her school metro bus pass should be able to get her back and forth.

Thumbs up

That's the point: learn to help yourself; don't blame others. There's always a way from no way.

Quote Originally Posted by zanna vaida View Post
    That's the point: learn to help yourself; don't blame others. There's always a way from no way.
    Zanna,
    You obviously haven't been in the USA long enough. We have a saying here, "why take responcibility when you can blame someone else". Dem's blame republicans, republican's blame Dem's, Blacks blame whites, whites blame blacks, men blame women, women blame men. Why accept responcibility for your actions when you can blame someone else!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Zanna,
    You obviously haven't been in the USA long enough. We have a saying here, "why take responcibility when you can blame someone else". Dem's blame republicans, republican's blame Dem's, Blacks blame whites, whites blame blacks, men blame women, women blame men. Why accept responcibility for your actions when you can blame someone else!

Only person you have to blame for anything you don't have is yourself.

Thumbs up

Zanna,
    Who do you mean by, "we"? Who are "we"?

Don't "we"-strive for credibility when running for anything in life?

It has nothing to do with being or not being in the USA long enough. this is how the system works around the globe. It's a naturally normal reality of life.

Federal government has not declared english as our official language, only 28 states have!!

English is the de facto national language. Although there is no official language at the federal level

New Mexico has laws providing for the use of both English and Spanish, as Louisiana does for English and French.[132] Other states, such as California, mandate the publication of Spanish versions of certain government documents including court forms

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States#Language

Thumbs up

The former USSR was a union of 15 Republics. All had their native language and native schools; however, the russian language was mandatory in all schools (14 republics). All federal paperwork was written in Russian and people were forced to learn Russian.

Ask anybody who came from the former USSR and they'll tell you about ethnic discrimination.

In my home, I can speak any langauge I want and can. It's my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bannister View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the Board of Ed to provide an ESL teacher that actually speaks Spanish. I think that's a no brainer.
    agreed
    couldn't one of the Spanish teachers double as a ESL teacher?

and she's lived here 6 years and still only speaks a little english?
    you'd think after 6 years in the area she'd have picked up english just from exposure to it
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information