Thread: Assessment of Blvd Mall

Assessment of Blvd Mall

I was amused by the comments of Amherst’s assessor about the lawsuit by Jemal to lower the assessment of Blvd Mall. His argument is that it’s somehow unfair of the owner to vindicate his rights in court because it will cost the town money to hire lawyers and get appraisals done. Cry me a freakin’ river! If the town had knowledgeable municipal lawyers on staff instead of the usual coterie of political boot licks and ass wipes that they put in those positions they wouldn’t need outside counsel. And it’s not Jemal’s problem that the town, under the “management” of Planner Kulpa, is in fiscal trouble because it’s become a dumping ground for Poloncarz castoffs who are put in 6 figure do nothing jobs .

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Why can't the owner just get a company that does business property appraisals to have a baseline of value?

They have a baseline of value, what he paid for the property. The assessor’s blather about it not being arms length is meaningless. It was bought out of a foreclosure but any number of companies could have bid on it in foreclosure. This wasn’t a sale from a friend to a friend. The fact that the seller wanted to unload it is meaningless, it’s what the market would bear at the time under the conditions of the sale. And the fact that Jemal’s attorney had argued differently in a different case is meaningless; it was a different case with a different set of facts. And believe me, if Jemal’s attorney goes up against those clowns in town hall he’ll waltz them around by the Willy.

Hey Grump

Your a real tough guy as you call us meaningless, useless, no knowledge as you hide behind you web name.

I would be happy to answer your questions, and debate you on our position. My cell phone number is 260-5487.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    They have a baseline of value, what he paid for the property. The assessor’s blather about it not being arms length is meaningless. It was bought out of a foreclosure but any number of companies could have bid on it in foreclosure. This wasn’t a sale from a friend to a friend. The fact that the seller wanted to unload it is meaningless, it’s what the market would bear at the time under the conditions of the sale. And the fact that Jemal’s attorney had argued differently in a different case is meaningless; it was a different case with a different set of facts. And believe me, if Jemal’s attorney goes up against those clowns in town hall he’ll waltz them around by the Willy.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by DMarrano View Post
    Your a real tough guy as you call us meaningless, useless, no knowledge as you hide behind you web name.

I would be happy to answer your questions, and debate you on our position. My cell phone number is 260-5487.

Make me proud Grump. Call and get questions answered.

Good, Dave. I know you and I'm sure you have good reasons for what you've and the Town of Amherst have done.

I also do not believe you are a "six figure Poloncarz appointee", but that's another story.
    Even as a great rock is not shaken by the wind, the wise man is not shaken by praise or by blame.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Make me proud Grump. Call and get questions answered.
    I won’t waste my time because I don’t have any questions. Everything I said is absolutely true. Marrano doesn’t even bother to dispute it. In fact, as Marrano well knows (well, he should know), there were other bidders on the property at auction so there was a market for it and the successful bidder sold it an arms length transaction. Besides, according to the Snooze the other day, Planner Kulpa and Jemal are going to set the assessed value. Sounds to me like Marrano is just Kulpa’s Mortimer Snerd, having his strings pulled from the top instead of being the independent assessor setting assessments as contemplated under the law of New York.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Sun View Post
    Good, Dave. I know you and I'm sure you have good reasons for what you've and the Town of Amherst have done.

I also do not believe you are a "six figure Poloncarz appointee", but that's another story.
    Colonel, I didn’t say Marrano was one of the 6 figure salaries given by Kulpa to Poloncarz's, throw always. And it is another story. A pity the media won’t report it.

Quote Originally Posted by DMarrano View Post

What is there to debate? Everything I said is factual. Do you want to argue about whether there was a public sale of the property through a foreclosure sale that was “attended” and participated in by a group of prospective buyers? Do you want to argue about the fact that the sale by the successful bidder to Jemal was arms length? Debate with yourself. That’s all public record. What I said was that the town lacks knowledgeable legal staff to handle the assessment case. Remember, it you, not me, who complained that the town would be forced to hire outside counsel to handle the case in these difficult financial times. Your statement to the press admits of only 2 possibilities. One, your town attorney staff are incapable of handling one of the most common legal activities confronting municipal governments, assessment challenges. Or, two, the internal staff can handle it but the town is willing to doubly burden the taxpayers in these difficult times by hiring outside counsel while in house counsel are paid to sit there taking up space. I’ll let you explain which it is. Perhaps you’d also care to explain why the supervisor is setting assessed valuations, as he stated to the Buffalo News, when this is clearly your duty and responsibility under law. In fact, assessors get extended terms of office exceeding the terms of supervisors and board members to provide partial protection against politicians intruding into the assessment process. Or is it now the job of the assessor in Amherst to serve as recording secretary while the supervisor sets assessed valuations? And while on the topic of additional costs in these difficult times,where does the town propose to get the money to install roads in a commercial project owned by an out of state billionaire for the sole benefit of that billionaire? Or is that’s what causing the tingling sensation Amherst residents are feeling around their wallets. I can’t think of a single project in this area where the taxpayers have been stuck with bill for building out the infrastructure for an out of state billionaire....oh, wait, yes I can. Riverbend! How’s that worked for us? I smell another debacle brewing right here.

So the town & Jemal are back in the news fighting over the assessment of the Mall & Wegmans. We learned that Jemal isn’t alone; JC Penny is also seeking a reduction of the assessment of its Mall property. I don’t know whether the Snooze and the town crafted the story to address the issues I raised in this thread. But Kulpa is now waiting for his assessor and legal counsel to provide documentation regarding a proper assessment. But it still seems clear that at the end Kulpa will set the assessment even though he says “...I am not an assessor”. He certainly isn’t; he lacks the necessary certifications and the assessment duty is imposed by law on the assessor, not the supervisor. As for counsel defending the town it looks like there was a deliberate effort to obscure who represents the town. The Snooze was more than willing to identify by name the attorney for Jemal but simply and repeatedly referred to “counsel” for the town. Seems pretty clear that town is pissing away thousands on outside counsel while the in-house attorney staff sit scratching their asses and getting paid. Or they can’t handle a routine legal issue that constantly confronts local governments. Either way the taxpayers are getting hosed.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    paragraphs please.

Georgia L Schlager

I wonder if the Marriott will be the next one looking to reduce its assessment in light of the fact that the owner is basically looking to give it away. I was amused to read that all those hotels the News raved about are being quietly converted into apartments. The idea of Buffalo as a tourist destination ranks up there with the Wizard of Oz on the fantasy scale.

Thread Information