Thread: IMHOLancaster's "New" Republicans At Mid-Term: Surviving Sabotage and Standing Strong

IMHOLancaster's "New" Republicans At Mid-Term: Surviving Sabotage and Standing Strong

ONLY My Opinions Based On My Understanding:

"...both the Democrats and Republicans are really one party drinking from the same troth. They work together, they scheme together, they share the patronage..."---Greg Sojka, July 5, 2018
    Half way through its two-year term, the "New" Republican Party under Greg's Sojka's leadership and a patronage-free Executive Committee has much to celebrate.

Its "all-inclusive" message and its policy of endorsing candidates solely on the basis of qualifications and competence, without strict regard to party label, seems to have perhaps resonated with Lancaster residents in 2019. In substantially supporting the "New" Republican direction, the Lancaster voters elected a Republican Town Council, played a significant role in the election of a Republican Erie County Legislator, and gave an impressive victory to Lynne Dixon, who was strong, but unsuccessful in her county-wide battle for Eire County Executive.

More importantly, the Lancaster voter rebuked Democrat majority control of the Town Council, and seems to have significantly rejected the establish "Swamp" elements of both parties.

Indeed, in my opinion, the "New" Republicans have much to be proud of. In light of what appears to have been a vicious bi-partisan "Swamp" axis to destroy the Sojka "Lancaster First" direction, it is semi-miraculous that the "New" Republicans are still standing, let alone standing strong, successful and tall. Consider the obstacles:

(1) When Diane Terranova made it known to the "New" Republican Committee that her refusal to comply with the frivolous patronage demands of Democrat Party power holders resulted in her diminished standing within the Lancaster Democrat Party under McCracken and Giza control, the "New" Republicans, acting in what they considered to be the best interests of Lancaster taxpayers and residents, were quick to endorse her for meritorious reasons. It is important to note that the endorsement came prior to the endorsement deliberations of the Democrat Party.

As I understand and assess the situation, when the Democrats publicly rebuked Terranova and endorsed Cynthia Maciejewski for Town Clerk, it appeared that the stage was set for a divisive Democrat Primary between Terranova and Maciejewski. As things stood in late March, 2019 prospects for the success of the "New" Republicans grew. Together with an envisioned uncontested Republican primary, the widely perceived patronage interests of the McCracken-backed Maciejewski would be exposed, and that perception would validate the direction of the "New" Republicans. In my opinion, it was at that point that the bi-partisan "Swamp" united to confront a rather seismic change in local politics, and the battleground of choice was the Town Clerk's race.

With Maciejewski attacking Terranova, the linch-pin of the "New" Republican direction" from the left, the establishment, or Rogue Republican elements under the management of Ralph Mohr, attacked Terranova from the right through the personage of Ann Desiderio.

Desiderio was a rather obscure figure, who had never expressed a prior interest in, or responded to public solicitations for, the office of Town Clerk. It was in April, 2019, that the un-vetted and un-scrutinized Desiderio in direct challenge to the endorsed candidate, embraced a rather curious, if not shallow campaign platform of strict partisan platitudes, along with an advocacy for a seemingly twisted and inappropriate future role for the Town Clerk.

Therefore, by late April, the Rogue wing of the Republican Party made high-profile inroads aimed at reducing the perceived validation of the "New" Republican direction, and also, in my opinion, weaponized the machinery of Republican politics and election law against the endorsed Republican candidate, all in an effort to destroy the New Republican Party.

(2) In spite of Sojka's direct plea to a gathering of the Erie County Republican Chairman's Round Table to "stop the sabotage," the Rogue wing of the Lancaster Republican Party appeared to doubled-down on its efforts to destroy the New Republicans.

Desiderio and her campaign manager Mohr managed somehow to convince the NYS Independence Party to lend its name to mailers in support the Desiderio campaign, and for a candidate which it did not otherwise endorse for the office. Furthermore, as I understood the situation, Desiderio apparently made no attempt whatsoever to petition for the Independence line in the exact same race. As such, the resultant Independence support, in my opinion, was and remains, a totally inexplicable and bizarre occurrence.

(3) The Rogue elements of the Lancaster Republican Party were also the focus of suspicion regarding the rejection of the Independence Party petitions of Diane Terranova and Bob Leary, who names appeared on the exact same Independence Party Petitions which held the names all of their comrade running mates. To many, the rejection of the two names were indicative of Rogue payback.

(4) The Rogue elements took to social media and blasted Terranova, the New Republicans, and their supporters for what might be termed "treasonous activities" in support of Terranova, while offering no explanation as to why Desiderio did not express prior interest in the position, nor did they express any concern whatsoever regarding her un-scrutinized background.

After Desiderio emerged as the victor in the low-turnout Republican Primary, the Rogue Republicans continued to employ that same social media tactic(s) during the general election.

(5) Diane Terranova defeated Maciejewski in the Democrat Primary; a stunning rebuke to the McCracken-Giza political power holders, but suspicions of Rogue Republican collusion with the McCracken-Giza forces regarding the general election campaign were occasioned by a seeming lack of Democrat Party financial support for Terranova.

More suggestive of a possibility of such collusion, was the apparent suppression of Terranova's voice by the Lancaster Democrat Party leadership at a committee meeting, along with a rather negatively slanted and apparently inaccurate description of Terranova's past support for the Democrat Party.

Far more troubling to some Lancaster voters was the absolute silence from Ron Ruffino when Ms Terranova was seemingly mistreated at the same committee meeting.

Indeed, it seemed, and still seems to me, that there was something of a McCracken-Giza-Mohr axis in existance, and that their joint efforts were applied in support of the destruction of the "New" Republicans under Sojka's leadership in retribution for the initial endorsement of Terranova.

(6) Again with respect to the Independence Primary, significant suspicions of "stalker candidates" in use by the Democrats emerged. I intend to focus on this issue frequently in anticipation of future elections.

All of foregoing perceived sabotage notwithstanding, the "New" Republicans' candidate for Town Clerk won comfortably.

Also, the "New" Republican candidate for Supervisor virtually tied the Democrat candidate for Supervisor.

The "New" Republicans can claim significant credit for the strong showing of the Republican candidate for the 8th Legislative District in Lancaster.

The "New" Republicans can claim some credit for the strong Lancaster showing of Lynne Dixon.

MOST SIGNIFICANTLY: The Lancaster voters, apparently inspired by direction of the "New" Republicans under Sojka's leadership, ended Democrat majority control of the Town Council.

A solid performance by the New Republicans under any circumstances; in the 2019 atmosphere of sabotage and intrigue, an outstanding showing.

Congrats to the Lancaster voters, Lancaster's "New" Republican Party, and to Chairman Sojka.

As for the Democrats, as Ron Ruffino takes office on Wednesday, he does so with best wishes of the town that he now leads. However, he does so with the knowledge that his silent lack of support for Terranova may have facilitated the Democrat Party's loss of the Council majority.

In the current environment favoring gridlock, it may be hard to test Ruffino's seeming commitment to be independent of party bosses. All appointments requiring Council approval will be subject to bi-partisan approval.

If one is forced to rely on Ruffino's conduct with regard to Terranova during the primary and general election campaign, one may conclude that the Ruffino pledge to be independent of "party bosses" was at the very least disingenuous.

But, with his induction into the Supervisor's office, Ruffino now has an opportunity to keep faith with his pledge to be that leader independent of the party bosses. Absent a free hand and Council majority control, the taxpayer and all residents will necessarily be forced to look to his exclusively administrative appointments to glean any suggestion of his governing temperament.

As I see it, look to his picks for secretary, Deputy Supervisor, and Budget Director to suggest which Ruffino now leads Lancaster, and which direction Lancaster will take in the future if Ruffino eventually leads a Democrat-controlled Town Council.

Last edited by mark blazejewski; December 27th, 2019 at 08:00 PM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post

..elected a Republican Town Council,** played a significant role in the election of a Republican Erie County Legislator, and gave an impressive victory to Lynne Dixon, who was strong, but unsuccessful in her county-wide battle for Eire County Executive.

More importantly, the Lancaster voter rebuked Democrat majority control of the Town Council, and seems to have significantly rejected the establish "Swamp" elements of both parties.

**Error: The bold faced comment should read "...elected a Republican Town Council Member..."
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; December 27th, 2019 at 09:10 PM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

In my opinion, if Ruffino selects Maciejewski as his secretary is not an issue.
    Her current position and that of the Secretary to the supervisor have the same salary.
    It's a lateral move not a promotion. In fact, if she were to give up her planning board secretary position,
    she'd be losing that stipend.

As far as, the Lancaster Democratic lack of financial support to Terranova after her Democratic primary victory,
    the same could be said about the lack of financial support for Desiderio from the Lancaster Republicans after her Republican primary victory.
    Neither party financially backed their town clerk primary winners

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Her current position and that of the Secretary to the supervisor have the same salary.
    It's a lateral move not a promotion. In fact, if she were to give up her planning board secretary position,

As far as, the Lancaster Democratic lack of financial support to Terranova after her Democratic primary victory,
    the same could be said about the lack of financial support for Desiderio from the Lancaster Republicans after her Republican primary victory.

You are right it is no issue whatsoever, but just as I said...

Absent a free hand and Council majority control, the taxpayer and all residents will necessarily be forced to look to his exclusively administrative appointments to glean any suggestion of his governing temperament.

As I see it, look to his picks for secretary, Deputy Supervisor, and Budget Director to suggest which Ruffino now leads Lancaster, and which direction Lancaster will take in the future if Ruffino eventually leads a Democrat-controlled Town Council.
    I don't seem to remember Desiderio responding to a public solicitation expressing prior interest in the Town Clerk's position, and I don't recall a wild west-type barroom brawl scene being played at a Republican Committee meeting.

Just sayin'.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; December 28th, 2019 at 09:11 AM.

In fact, if she were to give up her planning board secretary position,
    Yes, I remember how sensitive she is to stipends. During the primary, she criticized Terranova for taking a stipend and vowed to end them for Town Clerk if she was elected.

The problem was, at that exact same time, Maciejewski herself continued to accept her own stipend, and that in the minds of many, raised serious issues of hypocrisy.

Since you compared Maciejewski with Desiderio, I take occasion to make a further comparison between the two.

Desiderio during the campaign said that she as Town Clerk would "represent" her constituents, and end a tax. A former Town Clerk took issue with those characterizations and assertions.

During the campaign, Maciejewski appeared to mirror Desiderio in that she vowed to "end" the stipends for Town Clerk. Seriously?

Maciejewski had an ability to refuse or give back the stipend she so detested, but had no power to "end" the stipends; only the Town Council has the power to do that.

If competence is a component to a desired standard, and if Maciejewski is appointed, the residents and taxpayers just may being paying a secretary to the CEO of the Town, who appeared during the primary campaign, to be somewhat challenged as to the legally-prescribed functions of Lancaster government, just my opinion of course.

As I said, watch Ruffino's administrative appointments; they may say a great deal about him.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; December 28th, 2019 at 09:30 AM.

Mark, who the heck is going to read all this BS?

Please!

Readers, Blazejewski is just sore because his Speakup nervous breakdown at the end of the campaign prevented him from posting and just maybe his candidate for supervisor could have pulled off the important win if Blazejewski didn't run home and bury his head in a pillow and whined. Heck, in a close race who knows? In other words you blew it!

LOL

If anything the Dems are pretty set for a while with the supervisor's victory. That's certainly a good town office to have while rebuilding for two year's down the road.

I agree with gorja about Cindy Maciejewski. Good for her. And she's eminently qualified by experience so I don't understand the whining by Blazejewski - the guy's either a crybaby after losing the top race or he just doesn't understand.

In a way the Dems find themselves in a similar position as Dino Fudoli when Dino took over the supervisor's office. But the big difference is that the new supervisor would probably have a much better demeanor and leave residents with a much better impression than the rough Dino did. That is, of course, in terms of civility, how one comports themselves with fellow board members, and not snubbing property taxpayers like Dino did when he refused to pay his taxes when everyone else had to.

So, NO, Mark, the Dems certainly are viable in future elections. Seems to me it's the grit of the last two Dems chairs that keep them going pretty good in a town that should have had more GOP success that we've seen. And the GOP has some internal issues, too, leaving me to think that the GOP council wins happened despite their crazy new chairman. The polarization nationally kept people 'on their line' more so this year than in decades. If anything, as I've written before, it was probably Sojka's endorsement and fixation on the town clerk's race that probably cost the Republicans the Conservative line in the primary for supervisor.

At the very least, the Dems live to fight another day.

Hey Breezy, too many conjugal visits with yourself while you were in Speak Up Prison?

I ask that in honor of an old wise tale, because you apparently are either blind or simply can not read.

To wit:

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
    I agree with gorja about Cindy Maciejewski. *Good for her. *And she's eminently qualified by experience so I don't understand the whining by Blazejewski - the guy's either a crybaby after losing the top race or he just doesn't understand.

Bit sensitive about Maciejewski, eh "Bobby"?

Criminees, if you are that touchy about the rumored Maciejewski appointment, I can't wait to see who gets the other administrative appointments. Maybe a Deputy Supervisor Cansdale or perhaps the voter-discredited McCracken?

Now I will use little words for you Breezy, so that even a barely sentient imbecile such as yourself, will understand: Ruffino, as with his secretary and budget director has the sole right to appoint a Deputy Supervisor, no matter how politically dependent or functionally incompetent. Just sayin'.

But, I digress.

I certainly am not "crying" about any such possible appointment, which I have repeatedly acknowledged is Ruffino's perfect right.

What I did write in my post, repeated to Gorja, and for the third time, I write to you numb nut, is that since the Democrats LOST GOVERNING CONTROL of the Town Council, and a partisan tie vote potential exists, a taxpayer, resident and a voter seeking to assess the strength and sincerity of Ruffino's commitment not to "be controlled by party bosses" must necessarily look to Ruffino's administrative appointments to test that commitment.

In a way the Dems find themselves in a similar position as Dino Fudoli when Dino took over the supervisor's office.
    Yikes, but I still I give you the courtesy of coherent response.

No, O' Venomous One, not a similar position.

The Democrats controlled the Council from 2012-2016. Perhaps you need to take your socks off and count on your toes, but four is greater than one; the Democrats controlled the Council 4-1 during Dino's term.

And, speaking of the 2015 race, with then at least fourteen years of patronage and pro-developer experience under his expanding belt, I understand Ruffino was turned down in his efforts to become Supervisor, and that is why Mrs. Coleman was recruited for the position.

I have heard that Mrs. Coleman was desperately approached for want of a qualified 2015 candidate for Supervisor, is that not true?.

Moreover, am I correct in understanding that Ms Wallace and Mr. Bruso declined the endorsement for Supervisor this year before the Democrats turned to Dancing Ron Travolta?

At the very least, the Dems live to fight another day.
    Yepper, do your Stalker Candidates Shopping Early, eh Breezy?*
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; December 28th, 2019 at 04:16 PM.

In other words you blew it!

LOL

Speaking of blowing races Breezy, is Bruso going back to UPS, or is he extending the limits of ambition and competence and connecting with Fed Ex?

Mark, who the heck is going to read all this BS?
    After 23 hours from the time of posting, 169 people with good taste, and 1 worthless partisan hack named "Breezy," that's who.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; December 28th, 2019 at 06:30 PM.

Seems to me it's the grit of the last two Dems chairs that keep them going pretty good in a town that should have had more GOP success that we've seen.
    You are spot on with the bracketed comment Breezy, and perhaps that is why the Republicans changed leadership and direction in October, 2018. Since that change of leadership, just look at the record of the "New" Republicans:

(1) The re-election of a superb Town Justice despite IMHO, a shallow identity politics campaign from a well-financed and strongly supported party-player challenger.

(2) A surprisingly respectable showing for a politically obscure candidate for NYS Assembly in 2018, against the heavily financed and much heralded "Whiz Kid" incumbent.

(3) The election of a Republican Council Member in 2019.

(4) A strong Lancaster showing for Lynne Dixon in the County Executive race.

(5) A strong Lancaster showing which significantly contributed to a decisive Todaro 8th Legislative District victory.

(6) A near-tie in the race for Supervisor.

(7) Oh yea, under the McCracken-Giza-Ruffino leadership, the Democrats LOST MAJORITY CONTROL of the Town Council.
    But in fairness, congrats "Breezy," because in my opinion Ruffino deceived just enough voters in 2019 to put him, almost powerless, at the helm of an evenly divided Town Council. Good luck with that Breezy!

And the GOP has some internal issues, too...
    No doubt Breezy, and Greg Sojka, in the interests of putting "Lancaster First," has had the integrity and intellectual honesty to acknowledge the New Republicans' differences with what I now consider to be the "Rogue Republicans"...

"...both the Democrats and Republicans are really one party drinking from the same troth. They work together, they scheme together, they share the patronage..."---Greg Sojka, July 5, 2018
    In connection with the issue of party division, was Ron Ruffino in attendance for Diane Terranova's swearing in today?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; December 28th, 2019 at 11:51 PM.

Thread Information