Thread: Garbage and recycling in Town

Garbage and recycling in Town

In 1996 each home-owner in town paid $124.50 for this service.
    In 2010 each home-owner in town paid $192.00 for this service.

I believe next year the town will send out RFP's to continue this service. Currently you can place 5 bags(70 lbs ea) to be picked up on a weekly basis.

I usually don't check out garbage, but how many families in town do we have that generate that amount of garbage on a weekly basis?

Maybe the town could request only a 4 bag pick-up, or even a 3 bag pick-up to try and keep costs under control. This may even spur a little bit of recycling in town.

And what about those seniors that spend most of the winter in a warmer climate, why are they paying for year-round pick-up?

Maybe even contract with a company to clear up some metal, you know, all that extra crap we have sitting in our garages and basements. It would be interesting to see how much money that would generate.

Just thinking out loud..........any comments?
    I never said I had no idea about most of the things you said I said I had no idea about.

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers77 View Post
    In 1996 each home-owner in town paid $124.50 for this service.
    In 2010 each home-owner in town paid $192.00 for this service.

I believe next year the town will send out RFP's to continue this service. Currently you can place 5 bags(70 lbs ea) to be picked up on a weekly basis.

I usually don't check out garbage, but how many families in town do we have that generate that amount of garbage on a weekly basis?

Maybe the town could request only a 4 bag pick-up, or even a 3 bag pick-up to try and keep costs under control. This may even spur a little bit of recycling in town.

And what about those seniors that spend most of the winter in a warmer climate, why are they paying for year-round pick-up?

Maybe even contract with a company to clear up some metal, you know, all that extra crap we have sitting in our garages and basements. It would be interesting to see how much money that would generate.

Just thinking out loud..........any comments?

Put your metal items by the road there are more scrappers around here than you would think. Only thing is if you put it out put it separate, I had some aluminum in a garbage can that had no lid and they made a mess getting it.

Here's an idea why not have a site somewhere in town take this stuff to. Then the town will get the money for it. I believe if a town has a contract for it and someone takes it and they get caught they could be charged with stealing. I saw an article about this a few weeks ago but I can't locate it now. Supposedly some guys were charged with theft when taking stuff from trash. I also did read that there was a fist fight with the garbage hauler while doing it. Anyone else read this article?

Quote Originally Posted by mnb811 View Post
    Here's an idea why not have a site somewhere in town take this stuff to. Then the town will get the money for it. I believe if a town has a contract for it and someone takes it and they get caught they could be charged with stealing. I saw an article about this a few weeks ago but I can't locate it now. Supposedly some guys were charged with theft when taking stuff from trash. I also did read that there was a fist fight with the garbage hauler while doing it. Anyone else read this article?
    I'm almost positive that what scrappers are doing is illegal.

I would rather see the town generate those revenues instead of a few individuals.

Not that there is anything against scrappers...................
    I never said I had no idea about most of the things you said I said I had no idea about.

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers77 View Post
    I'm almost positive that what scrappers are doing is illegal.

I would rather see the town generate those revenues instead of a few individuals.

Not that there is anything against scrappers...................
    I know in the Village of Hamburg, the Municipality feels once the private citizen puts the material to the curb, it is property of the Village. My sister saw an AWESOME pair of OLD wood skis in someone's garbage, and she got shook down by the VHPD......telling her that was Village property...and she could be charged with Larceny.
    I know friends who save scrap and they turn a couple hundred dollars a couple times a year, just from saving their own household junk. Imagine how much across the board we could get if done town wide. Now becomes the question, how much will it cost to administer a program like that?
    Cost vs Reward benefit....there in lies the worthiness.

Thread Information