Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Becoming more active in the community

Becoming more active in the community

As some may have already noticed I have added an avatar, the symbol of the political party I have been an enrolled member of since 1984. I have also changed my signature with a link to the new website of the West Seneca Republican Committee.

I do not currently have, nor do I foresee me having, any intention to run for any elected office.

I have made a decision to be more active as a Republican and a citizen of West Seneca. I am donating my time and efforts to create and maintain the committee's website (It is still in development, but wanted to get something up!). I will also support efforts to facilitate more West Seneca Republicans to become active in our party, to recruit new members and candidates and support the candidates we as Republicans select.

I believe it is important that all of us take a more active role in our respective communities and parties.

As it stands now the West Seneca Republican Committee has numerous seats open. If you would like to become more active by joining the committee or help out in any other capacity please contact Brian Wirth by e-mail at chair@wsgop.org .
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Just to play devil's advocate for a moment... Something I have been thinking about lately; do political affiliations matter on the local level?

I am not criticizing or against a stronger Republican base, but I am curious what you feel Republicans would do differently than Democrats... on the local level anyway.

I believe to a limited degree there would be some differences. However, the major benefit, on a town level, would come from competing views, discussion and debate among competing candidates and more choices for the voters.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofCharles View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate for a moment... Something I have been thinking about lately; do political affiliations matter on the local level?

I am not criticizing or against a stronger Republican base, but I am curious what you feel Republicans would do differently than Democrats... on the local level anyway.
    ghost , I'm a registered Democrat , but have to be as I live in the City of Buffalo , I wouldn't ever be able to participitate in the Sept. primaries as Republicans never run as they have little to no chance of ever winning in a primary , then in the general election in Nov. , I can vote my heart , for the person , not the party , does it matter on the local level , in my case , yes.....
    And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15
    www.onlinemedia.net - www.vinyl-graphics.com

I agree, some well-informed well-rationed discourse is needed on all levels. I would think one of the bigger issues that can be decided on the local level is spending. Democrats apparently like big government, Republicans smaller government. Now please, do not take this statement out of context as some of my friends on here do, but the Supervisor seems to be on the side of saving money. I am curious how Republicans in Town feel about that. Would a strong Republican candidate come out in favor of smaller government?

He talks like he does, but some of his actions say the opposite.

Cool

You people need to remember that now-WS Supervisor Piotrowski ran as the endorsed Republican as well as the endorsed Democrat in 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy View Post
    You people need to remember that now-WS Supervisor Piotrowski ran as the endorsed Republican as well as the endorsed Democrat in 2007.
    Alot of them have, not only on the Town level, but the County as well. Which brings me back to my original point of, do party affiliations have a lot of importance on the local level?

Perhaps that has to do with Wirth being tight with Wally.

Seems to be Dtwarren doesn't need to run.

Quote Originally Posted by dgrzeb View Post
    ghost , I'm a registered Democrat , but have to be as I live in the City of Buffalo , I wouldn't ever be able to participitate in the Sept. primaries as Republicans never run as they have little to no chance of ever winning in a primary , then in the general election in Nov. , I can vote my heart , for the person , not the party , does it matter on the local level , in my case , yes.....
    http://www.answers.com/topic/primary-election

Now used in some form in every state there are three types of direct primary—closed, open, and blanket. Most states have closed primaries. These require voters to indicate at some stage a party preference, which entitles them to participate in the primary of that party. In those states where primaries are open, voters may choose which primary to participate in. They have access to the ballots of each party and must select one. In three states, Alaska, Louisiana, and Washington, the blanket primary is in operation. This does not require any indication of party affiliation and voters are free to move back and forth across a blanket-sized ballot that includes all candidates of all parties. This makes it possible for voters to participate in, for example, the Republican primary contest for a seat in the US Senate and the Democratic primary to select a candidate for mayor.
    New York, like most states has closed primaries. Because a candidate running on the Republican line would not likely win this causes two imbalances. First is it disenfranchises the regestered Republicans from the TRUE election which is the primary, and Second is you see silly situations like the same candidate running on both Republican and Democrat line in the general election. Of course the Republican voter can register Democrat and probably many do to make their vote count, but to some it is a distasteful option.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren View Post
    I do not currently have, nor do I foresee me having, any intention to run for any elected office.
    dan, think TA!

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren View Post
    As some may have already noticed I have added an avatar, the symbol of the political party I have been an enrolled member of since 1984.
    I have been a Republican all my voting life, as are my parents, and were my grandparents. My father and all my grandparents were immigrants, and my grandparents were blue collar, yet they still voted Repubican.

Unfortunately, except for a brief time in the 90s, the Republicans are out of office, and with the changing demographics of the country, and organizations like ACORN with their 'voter registration', and Moveon, and DailyKoz, and a leftist media and academia, and illegals made legal, I see the Republican Party and soon the US as it existed as a thing of the past.

For the Town of WS, 'becoming active' really means how much time and money will be wasted trying to give the people something they do not want... a two party system.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofCharles View Post
    Alot of them have, not only on the Town level, but the County as well. Which brings me back to my original point of, do party affiliations have a lot of importance on the local level?
    Let me answer this with a question, when was the last time an elected position on the local level went to a person who did not have the backing by at least one of the two major party endorsements?

I think the fact that both parties endorsed the same candidate (or no Candidate) is due to inaction on the part of one or both parties.

I was speaking to a friend who is on the town board of town downstate when this happened and he was floored by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    http://www.answers.com/topic/primary-election

New York, like most states has closed primaries. Because a candidate running on the Republican line would not likely win this causes two imbalances. First is it disenfranchises the regestered Republicans from the TRUE election which is the primary, and Second is you see silly situations like the same candidate running on both Republican and Democrat line in the general election. Of course the Republican voter can register Democrat and probably many do to make their vote count, but to some it is a distasteful option.
    However, when you do not have primaries because multiple candidates of the same party are not vying for a position the issue of how the primaries are held is moot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information