Thread: So what is Speakup?

Tony Fracasso - Admin

So what is Speakup?

I was searching my last name and spotted this.

Blogs & Bob McCarthy

August 22, 2008 by Buffalopundit
    Filed under: News
    The other day, someone posted a comment on my site accusing Bob McCarthy being on the take from Jack Davis.
    That is partly what prompted this post, and I have to confess that I did something stupid.
    I left the comment up for too long.
    As a matter of fact, I looked up the commenter’s IP address and found what appeared to be a valid email address for him/her, and I sent an email about that comment, asking what basis they had to post that. I never heard a reply. And then I forgot it was still up there.
    As I’ve always said, I will happily delete anything that is defamatory, and quite clearly the smear on McCarthy was just that. I apologize to him and the News that I didn’t get rid of it immediately.
    This in spite of the fact that legally, I’m not liable for defamation that some anonymous commenter leaves on my site. Even though I wouldn’t have to pay damages for the smear, and even though a lawsuit against me would be meritless, there is legal, and there is right. Editing away that comment was the right thing to do, and I failed to do it quickly enough by my own standards.
    Go read the full article

I spotted this part

Underscoring the fact that some mainstream press still fail to comprehend what a blog is, Channel 4 talks to Tony Fracasso from Speakupwny about blogs. With all due respect, and I’m sure Fracasso would back me up, Speakup is a great bulletin board resource for local news and chatter, but it’s not a blog. Even though I’ve been running this site for 5 years, and Craig has been doing it from the Republican side for even longer still, they don’t come and ask us about it, and we simply get lumped in among the National Enquirer, as if we’re just a bunch of tawdry rumormongers with no ethics or morality.

So what is a blog versus what speakup is?

I look at programs like word press and it's a basic "one forum" message board that accepts comments where as Vbull is a "multiple forum" message board that accepts comments.

Only thing really different is who is allowed to start a topic before the comments start.

On wordpress there are usually one or a few people who start a thread and then wait for comments on Vbull anyone can start a topic.

The layout might be different but the functionality is basically the same. So what makes one a blog and the other not?

a blog

it seems, if it is annonymous, doesn't fall under any restrictions. But if you are an affiliate of anything, then if you post a slandarous post, you may be on the hook.

first and foremost it is a message board. Basically a series of open conversations if you will, where anyone an post anything (within reason) about any topic.

The diference between this format and a blog is that there isnt 1 person pontificating about a certain topic. They both have merits.

With all due respect to Blog's, I'm a regular reader of BP, most of the blog posts are either opinion or updates of where the author's having dinner. Once in a while they have a story that makes the news. Can bloggers really be upset when the MSM doesnt take Blogs seriously when for the most part the blog one persons opinion? It would be like using only the letters to the editor to report a story

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by yokes View Post
    first and foremost it is a message board. Basically a series of open conversations if you will, where anyone an post anything (within reason) about any topic.

The diference between this format and a blog is that there isnt 1 person pontificating about a certain topic. They both have merits.

With all due respect to Blog's, I'm a regular reader of BP, most of the blog posts are either opinion or updates of where the author's having dinner. Once in a while they have a story that makes the news. Can bloggers really be upset when the MSM doesnt take Blogs seriously when for the most part the blog one persons opinion? It would be like using only the letters to the editor to report a story
    Yokes is spot on.

Unregistered
    blogs are a journal of topic entries by one person. an open book on line of the author's thoughts or activities of the day. a message board is like a crowded bar. a lot of people. a lot of conversations. a lot of different thoughts. both can suit the purpose of words on the internet. both can be successful with talk about current events and politics. blogs are popular by readers who have an interest in one author's posts. message boards are popular because there's communication with many people. message boards can be opinionated letters to the editors like some blogs. the success of a blog isn't defined by the number of comments. it's successful having an audience of readers who return for the author's words.

Quote Originally Posted by yokes View Post

I'm also on board with yokes post on this one.................
    And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15
    www.onlinemedia.net - www.vinyl-graphics.com

A blog is my own personal space. If you took all the threads that I started and placed them in one forum, that is almost a blog. What differentiates a blog from a message board is that in a blog, there is very little, if any interaction with others. I think I have commented twice in my computer posting life to blogs.
    If I don't like what someone says in response to my blog postings, I can delete it. I don't have that luxury here, or any other message board I post on.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I was searching my last name and spotted this.

Go read the full article

I spotted this part

So what is a blog versus what speakup is?

I look at programs like word press and it's a basic "one forum" message board that accepts comments where as Vbull is a "multiple forum" message board that accepts comments.

Only thing really different is who is allowed to start a topic before the comments start.

On wordpress there are usually one or a few people who start a thread and then wait for comments on Vbull anyone can start a topic.

The layout might be different but the functionality is basically the same. So what makes one a blog and the other not?
    blogs aren't interactive or as quick as a MB is..............they're not as personal to oother people , your MB , it seems that people get to know each other & start to know what one will post , a blog is almost like a diary , I don't care for blogs , don't read thhem or give them much insight , & unless someone points one out in a link here or on another MB , I don't read them.............as for your MB , I'm no lawyer , but unless a person can prove financial loss through libel from YOU personally res , you're good to go , I believe Jim "O" could comment on this far better then any of us unless there's a lawyer on board...........
    And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15
    www.onlinemedia.net - www.vinyl-graphics.com

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by mesue View Post
    A blog is my own personal space. If you took all the threads that I started and placed them in one forum, that is almost a blog. What differentiates a blog from a message board is that in a blog, there is very little, if any interaction with others. I think I have commented twice in my computer posting life to blogs.
    If I don't like what someone says in response to my blog postings, I can delete it. I don't have that luxury here, or any other message board I post on.

So why would people call it a blog versus a diary?

I guess I'm trying to define what blog is. Why wouldn't speakup be considered a "community" blog? Far more is discussed here than on any local blog.

Unregistered

Blog Defined by Merriam Webster

Main Entry: blog
    Pronunciation:
    \ˈblȯg, ˈbläg\
    Function:
    noun
    Etymology:
    short for Weblog
    Date:

: a Web site that contains an online personal journal with reflections, comments, and often hyperlinks provided by the writer ; also : the contents of such a site
    blog·ger noun
    blog·ging noun

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/blog

Unregistered

I guess I'm trying to define what blog is. Why wouldn't speakup be considered a "community" blog? Far more is discussed here than on any local blog.
    will this help? http://www.marketingterms.com/dictionary/blog/

I have control over my blog. I can delete posts by me or anyone else if I choose. I can't do that here. However, Vbulletin does allow for individuals to delete their own posts. But I think it decreases the over all post count and most MB admins don't like that. Which is fine by me, I'm just saying
    This is a cool site
    http://www.bgsu.edu/cconline/almjeld/beginnings.htm
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Thread Information