Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buffalo schools closing

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    On the 29th of Feb I took this photo. I made a joke that this packing material is made on demand.

It was a package shipped from Hong Kong. High end laptop screen.

Then I saw this the day before. Something flashed by on facebook about the simpsons predicting an outbreak.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    This is going to hurt

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I hope I am wrong but people see to be over reacting to this.
    I don't think it's being over blown at all. A couple of things to consider.

1. It has exponential growth and we're just at the start of it. If you don't fully understand this concept, I'll put it like this. Consider a lily pond that's empty. Day 2 there is 1 lily. Day 2 there are 2. Day 3 there are 4. It goes down the line. But what's important to consider here is that at some point the pond will be 100% covered. The day before it would have been just 50% covered and the day before that just 25% covered. Humans are only going to pay attention in the last days but the early days is when you need to do something.

2. We essentially testing nobody in the big picture and the numbers are off just those who are tested.

3. You can carry it and not feel the effects for weeks and actually get it with limited effects. So this is creating a false sense of security. But those who are at highest risk are really at risk here and those at low risk are adding lilies to the pond....

4. It lasts on surfaces for like 3 days I think. Which is crazy.

5. People are careless and dumb. Just look at how many people were out at bars this last weekend.

Going back to the exponential growth...consider the numbers 1 week ago to today. Consider that real measures to slow this have only been put in place for hours or days. Consider the two week runway on effects. If you're under 50 and in good health...YOUR personal risk is not that much. However, if you're careless you could pass this along to someone who is older or more at risk with things like respiratory issues. This is going to kill a lot of people I fear and it's mostly going to be seniors and the chronically ill.

Paraphrasing from other comments but everything being done today is going to see like too much. When we look back it will seem too little.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I get exactly what you are saying. I just don't remember this reaction on past virus/flu type outbreaks in the past.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Or someone is leaving out a lot of details and not letting the population know.

Leftie, it’s just a taste of Democratic Totalitarianism in full flower. Love the lily pond analogy. The thing is people are getting it and getting over it....something like 99.5% of them. You’re right. There are likely thousands who have been exposed to it and will never develop symptoms or symptoms so mild that they self-treat and recover. All those people out in bars this past weekend...are they all dead? Are they all sick? What about all the people out 2 weeks ago for whom the gestation period is ending. Are they all dead? Are they all sick? This is quite possibly the most overblown story in world history.
    Last edited by grump; March 16th, 2020 at 02:33 PM.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    We just have to make sure politics are not clouding people's judgement.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    This makes sense:

Newt Gingrich: An overreaction to COVID-19 is better than a disaster

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6142056429001#sp=show-clips

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Leftie, it’s just a taste of Democratic Totalitarianism in full flower. Love the lily pond analogy. The thing is people are getting it and getting over it....something like 99.5% of them. You’re right. There are likely thousands who have been exposed to it and will never develop symptoms or symptoms so mild that they self-treat and recover. All those people out in bars this past weekend...are they all dead? Are they all sick? What about all the people out 2 weeks ago for whom the gestation period is ending. Are they all dead? Are they all sick? This is quite possibly the most overblown story in world history.

You can look at this out you want but you're looking at it wrong I feel.

Below is the death rate by age and put some population numbers to it (https://www.statista.com/statistics/...y-sex-and-age/)

Death Rate By Age:

80+ - 14.8% - We have around 13 million in this bucket.

70-79 -> 8% - We have about 23 million in this bucket.

60-69 -> 3.6%

50-59 -> 1.3%

40-49 -> 0.4%

30-39 -> 0.2%

20-29 -> 0.2%

10-19 -> 0.2%

0-9 -> 0.0%

Just looking at the top 2 buckets. Even if we have an infection rate of just 15% in those groups, you're looking at 3,250,000 and 5,750,000 getting infected and 481,000 and 460,000 deaths. That is close to 1 million people. By comparison the flu has between 30k and 60k deaths each year.

In a continuing effort to one up each other Trump has announced that there should be no group meetings of 10 or more, thereby “trumping” shall we say, Il Douche’s limit of 50. Rumor is that Il Douche is going to come back with a suggested limit of 2 in a group. And if one of the 2 has a split personality, one of the personalities will have to wait outside.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Grump... maybe it's time to lay off the jokes for a week and let us see how things pan out.

I'm surprised how many people are avoiding going out.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Grump... maybe it's time to lay off the jokes for a week and let us see how things pan out.

I'm surprised how many people are avoiding going out.
    Are jokes making the disease spread faster? Are jokes making the disease more virulent? Will jokes affect the way things pan out?

Are jokes making the disease spread faster? Are jokes making the disease more virulent? Will jokes affect the way things pan out?
    I mean this is essentially culling the boomer herd. Kinda fitting to the worst generation ever that the thing that takes them out is rooted in arrogance and a lack a concern for others....

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    I mean this is essentially culling the boomer herd. Kinda fitting to the worst generation ever that the thing that takes them out is rooted in arrogance and a lack a concern for others....
    Finally! Think of how much better off the country will be when it’s run by millennials. Ha, ha, hee, hee, ho, ho. And lack of concern for others? If you’re accusing me tell me where I’ve shown a lack of concern for others. I happen to disagree with certain steps that have been taken that target small business. Don’t forget Leftie, it was BO who launched the Democratic Totalitarian war on small business with Obamacare & his stupid “You didn’t build it” speech. He was just helping put more money into the hands of Democratic Totalitarian billionaires like Zuckerberg, Buffett, Bryn, Musk and that crowd. I know that. Still, I think we need to be very careful in the choices that are made and who are the fall guys for all this stuff. And these idiots on tv and radio telling everyone to buy a restaurant gift card to help out local eateries. That sounds nice but if this drags on for long a lot of these places will never reopen. And when that happens you can bet that our piece of **** governor will sic the attorney general on them in a heart beat. And actually, the thing that is “taking them out” is rooted in a virus and old age, just like every year...not arrogance or lack of concern for others. If lack of concern for others were fatal the streets would be clogged with the corpses of millennials.
    Last edited by grump; March 16th, 2020 at 06:44 PM.

I happen to disagree with certain steps that have been taken that target small business.
    I get that. I agree this is going to sink a lot of small businesses and lower income folks. But that doesn't mean the risk to those at risk should be considered with a flippant regard.

And actually, the thing that is “taking them out” is rooted in a virus and old age, just like every year...not arrogance or lack of concern for others. If lack of concern for others were fatal the streets would be clogged with the corpses of millennials.
    This is not true. Here are some stats on this: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Iran has a 0.056% death rate.

China has a 0.039% death rate.

US has a 0.019% death rate.

South Korea has a 0.009% death rate.

The death rate is directly related to how this is being treated culturally. Full stop. The worst part in all of this is that we know how dangerous this can be to old people or the chronically ill. Yet people are still taking risks that could easily be avoided. You are clearly showing the arrogance I am speaking about. Millennials are clearly showing the lack of concern for others that I am speaking about.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    The death rate is directly related to how this is being treated culturally. Full stop. The worst part in all of this is that we know how dangerous this can be to old people or the chronically ill. Yet people are still taking risks that could easily be avoided. You are clearly showing the arrogance I am speaking about. Millennials are clearly showing the lack of concern for others that I am speaking about.
    Yep. I saw some bar having a "corona" night before the mandatory shutdown was given inviting people to come out.

The wall on the southern border doesn't sound all that bad now does it. I'd like to hear Bernie and others demand the wall come down so that people who may be sick can get help in the USA. He wants health care for those here illegally after all. Raised his hand even.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information