Thread: Lancaster Board of Education Special Meeting

Lancaster Board of Education Special Meeting

On Monday January 5, 2009 at 7pm in the district office board room, the Lancaster Board of Education will host a special meeting to discuss Governor David Paterson’s 2009 proposed budget and mid year cuts to the 2008 budget.

More...

Links to Some Documents of Interest...

Here's a few links to some documents that may be of interest for folks to download and review before the Special Meeting:

- 2009-10 Proposed NYS Executive Budget - Proposed Lancaster School District State Aid:

http://www.nysed.gov/stateaid/dist/a141901.html

- Lancaster School District Teacher and Superintendent Labor Contracts:

http://www.seethroughny.org/Contract...4/Default.aspx

- Lancaster School District Revenue and Expenditure Reports for budget years 1996 through 2006:

http://wwe1.osc.state.ny.us/transpar...lgovsearch.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by opfrontdoor View Post
    Here's a few links to some documents that may be of interest for folks to download and review before the Special Meeting:

- 2009-10 Proposed NYS Executive Budget - Proposed Lancaster School District State Aid:

http://www.nysed.gov/stateaid/dist/a141901.html

- Lancaster School District Teacher and Superintendent Labor Contracts:

http://www.seethroughny.org/Contract...4/Default.aspx

- Lancaster School District Revenue and Expenditure Reports for budget years 1996 through 2006:

http://wwe1.osc.state.ny.us/transpar...lgovsearch.cfm
    Great information. Thanks!
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Quote Originally Posted by speakup View Post
    On Monday January 5, 2009 at 7pm in the district office board room, the Lancaster Board of Education will host a special meeting to discuss Governor David Paterson’s 2009 proposed budget and mid year cuts to the 2008 budget.

More...
    And we will also discuss how we can really screw the taxpayer and sell the Seniors and people on fixed income how to prepare dog food.
    I hope you people burn in hell so you are worried about the cuts? Thats a word a school board does not like. I live in The Niagara Wheatfield district its run by the Taliban. So good luck on the cuts like I said feel my pain for a change.

Can't the school board and taxpayers do as some private sector employers do regarding health care benefits.

Can't we as Lancaster school taxpayers state that we have x amount of dollars do go towards each employee's health care benefits. If the employee wants family coverage he/she (employee) will have to contribute more towards their coverage. If individual and family plan employees want coverage with lower deductibles, then they will have to contibute even more premium monies for their coverage as well. We, in the private sector concede every year due to rising health care costs. Why do school employees have to have the "Cadillac" plan?

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Can't the school board and taxpayers do as some private sector employers do regarding health care benefits.

Can't we as Lancaster school taxpayers state that we have x amount of dollars do go towards each employee's health care benefits. If the employee wants family coverage he/she (employee) will have to contribute more towards their coverage. If individual and family plan employees want coverage with lower deductibles, then they will have to contibute even more premium monies for their coverage as well. We, in the private sector concede every year due to rising health care costs. Why do school employees have to have the "Cadillac" plan?
    Let the sarcasm start:
    What????? How dare you compare a union school employee to a private sector worker. Don't you realize that tax money pays for the salaries of these unionized employees. There is no "too much" when it comes to how much taxes can be raised to cover these much needed expenses.
    Let the sarcasm end!

Really, you are asking that these taxpayer funded employees take a cut, or concessions? Of course you are correct, but will this ever happen? I am still waiting...
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

A Link to Another Document of Interest...

Here's a link to another document of interest - the October, 2007 recommendations from the New York State School Boards Association (NTSSBA) entitled "Report of the Task Force on Maximizing School District Resources."

http://www.nyssba.org/clientuploads/...tResources.pdf

A good read if you have the time.

They outline 55 recommendations in 13 categories. The categories include State Mandates, Public Employee Pensions, Health Insurance, Collective Bargaining, School District Consolidation, and Property Tax Assessment and Collection.

Apparently nobody's listening in Albany, where, unfortunately, all of our woes in our Vampire State started, are sanctioned, and go unabated.

In my opinion, if positive changes are ever to be made, and again, unfortunately, they will have to begin here at home -at the local School District level at 2009-2010 budget approval time - with taxpayers sending a clear resounding message that we have had enough and the trough is empty - a message that was evident in comments made by citizens at the meeting in Lancaster on Jan 5.

But folks, will we have the guts....

School activities need to all become pay to play. You want band, chorus, orchestra, here's your bill. You want to play a sport, here's your portion of the insurance and equipment cost. Fieldtrips, split up the bussing fees.

When classes go on fieldtrips the teachers typically do not use the Lancaster bussing because it's too expensive. They contract with other companies. If that's the case for a fieldtrip, imagine the additional expense of day to day pickup and dropoff.

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    School activities need to all become pay to play. You want band, chorus, orchestra, here's your bill. You want to play a sport, here's your portion of the insurance and equipment cost. Fieldtrips, split up the bussing fees.

When classes go on fieldtrips the teachers typically do not use the Lancaster bussing because it's too expensive. They contract with other companies. If that's the case for a fieldtrip, imagine the additional expense of day to day pickup and dropoff.
    So, you're telling me that it's cheaper to use a contracted bus service, than the taxpayer funded school busses?

I also think a modified pay to play for extra-curricular activities is a good idea. Make the participants pay for some of it. It's only fair. We had to raise money to pay for little league baseball, football, and hockey when I was a kid. I had to sell stuff, like candy bars and raffle tickets. The school kids do some of that now. Why not make it a modified pay to play system?
    The town board creates the problems and when the residents complain, the town board tells them it's the resident's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Wag View Post
    So, you're telling me that it's cheaper to use a contracted bus service, than the taxpayer funded school busses?
    100% Correct. I'll see if i can track down some exact figures.

Thread Information