Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy Kwanzaa!

Unregistered

Happy Kwanzaa!

same to you!

It's one of the few holidays that I pre-date.

I celebrate the right to celebrate anyone's blackness.

Kwanzaa celebrates what its founder called "The Seven Principles of Kwanzaa," or Nguzo Saba (originally Nguzu Saba - "The Seven Principles of Blackness"), which Karenga said "is a communitarian African philosophy" consisting of what Karenga called "the best of African thought and practice in constant exchange with the world." These seven principles comprise Kawaida, a Swahili term for tradition and reason.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwanzaa

I look forward to the day when skin color won't matter

1 Samuel 16:7 ... for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Unregistered

Religion

I am looking forward to the day that religion/spirituality won't matter either.

Quote Originally Posted by Steiny View Post
    I am looking forward to the day that religion/spirituality won't matter either.
    religion and spirituality are 2 different things. Jesus will tell you the same thing.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Quote Originally Posted by mesue View Post
    religion and spirituality are 2 different things. Jesus will tell you the same thing.
    Jesus tells me things,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    Jesus tells me things,,,
    He tells me a lot of things. It's not all warm and fuzzy either

Because of blacks not knowing where they came from and families being seperated at slavery, Kwanzaa roots are not known or practiced by many minorities.

Don't people realize that the guy who founded Kwanzaa is a convicted felon?

In 1971, Karenga, Louis Smith, and Luz Maria Tamayo were convicted of felony assault and false imprisonment for assaulting and torturing over a two day period two women from the US organization, Deborah Jones and Gail Davis. [2] A May 14, 1971 article in the Los Angeles Times described the testimony of one of the women: "Deborah Jones, who once was given the Swahili title of an African queen, said she and Gail Davis were whipped with an electrical cord and beaten with a karate baton after being ordered to remove their clothes. She testified that a hot soldering iron was placed in Ms. Davis's mouth and placed against Ms. Davis's face and that one of her own big toes was tightened in a vise. Karenga also put detergent and running hoses in their mouths, she said."

Personally I don't think Dr. Karenga sounds like a very nice person.

Kwanzaa is NOT a religion, it's a celebration. Kwanzaa has no business being in this thread (religion).

Unregistered

Kwanzza

Kwannza is a spiritual celebration of the harvest. It is amazing how our society is so quick to bash and eliminate any celebration that is not Christian or in the majority.

Kwannza is a spiritual celebration of the harvest. It is amazing how our society is so quick to bash and eliminate any celebration that is not Christian or in the majority.
    Then why is it celebrated several months after the harvest?

Unregistered

American

Expand your thinking of the American Harvest as in African they have different times of harvest due to Africa covering both hemispheres.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwanzaa

I don't see anyone looking to bash Kwanzaa, but BlockClub is correct - it has nothing to do with religion.

And, while I understand the way you like to be diverse, and celebrate all holidays, the truth is, that you're being quite disingenuous by celebrating Kwanzaa if you are not African American. According to the Wikipedia link, the founder of Kwanzaa said his goal " was to "...give Blacks an alternative to the existing holiday and give Blacks an opportunity to celebrate themselves and history, rather than simply imitate the practice of the dominant society."

So, in other words, they wanted their own Holiday, but you feel the need to jump in, and celebrate, as well.

Steiny, if you really did practice what you preach, you would be condemning Kwanzaa, as being exclusionary. But, you being you, - you celebrate it.

Go figure.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information