Thread: Cheektowaga Town Board Elections

Cheektowaga Town Board Elections

What a year this could be for the Town of Cheektowaga Town board elections. Could we actually see people go to the polls and actually vote for the individual and not the party? I attended a meeting last night at the Bellvue Fire Department and was SHOCKED to learn that Mr. Stan Kaznowski is just another Political Appointee by the Town Board. His opponent Mr. Gerald Kaminski stated that Mr. Kaznowski was appointed to last year even though he placed last in the General Election. To say the least i had to check and see if he was correct, and he was. So is this how our town who says they respect us as taxpayers and voters does things. It appalls me to think that the Town of Cheektowaga Board that we elected, and i say elected by voting would go that far by appointing the guy with the least amount of votes to fill a vacated seat. Should'nt it be the next in line with number of votes.

Im not picking on Mr. Kaznowski, he cant help that he has some friends on the town board that worry about him more than what the voters want!

So i say this as a Democrat in the Town that i think it is time to get some balance with the town and vote for the person not the party! It is time for some change. I think it might suprise alot of people to see what the other party could bring to the Town.

I think any change would be a good change from what we have now.
    I heard Mr Kaznowski speak at another taxpayer meeting. I have to say, I was not impressed. He gave me the impression that he felt he was entitled to keep the position because he already has it. Then I was left wondering if that is the attitude of the rest of the board, save one? That they are already crowned and therefore untouchable.
    Well, they are touchable by we the voters. But if we the regular unaffiliated voters do not get out there and vote, then all the committee members will still vote and keep their friends and family in. It's time to stop this nonsense. We the people voters need to out vote the committee members' votes and make a stand.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Our town board brain trust picked the loser of all them. The guy with the least amount of votes and they expect the Cheektowaga Community to have faith in their decisions.

Pathetic huh?

Yeah, it really is pathetic.
    I don't know which is more pathetic, the town board or the voter apathy.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Something to keep in mind about last year's election.

Stan was not on the democratic line in the general election, Charlie Markel had that honor. Stan was on a minor line, therefore did not get the votes that were received on the dem and republican lines.

When Alice M resigned her seat to become town clerk, the democratic position was appointed to a democrat. Did the republicans submit a name for the appointment? (I don't know so I am throwing that question out there)

Stan has to run in the general election this year to finish Alice's term. He has to run in the general election again next year if he want to remain on the board.

Personally, I think Stan is doing a good job and has been thinking outside the box and doesn't go with the "well we've always done it that way" kind of thinking.
    Adopt an English Springer Spaniel.
    http://www.springerrescue.org
    "Striving to be the person
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Our town board brain trust picked the loser of all them. The guy with the least amount of votes and they expect the Cheektowaga Community to have faith in their decisions.

Pathetic huh?
    Pathetic?, not really. The votes were so close between Charlie and Stan in the primary that we had to wait a few days to get the results. Remember the 6 vote difference?

See my post above about the reason for the least amount of votes. (come on Crabs... bring out the stats, then slam my post)

Rez, have you ever met Stan? Do you diss these people just based on what others say or have you actually met them, talked to them and then decided they were idiots?
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

oneemerald what am i missing

So Stan Kaznowski was appointed by the Dems even though he was a minor party line with the least amount of votes, Hmmm...So was this the Dems way of saying we know that you lost to Charlie Markel in the primary but run on a minor party line anyway to take some votes from others and we will appoint you to Alice's seat.... This is what really really should be put out to the voters. I'm guessing that this is what Erie County calls PATRONAGE JOBS.

Quote Originally Posted by OneEmerald View Post

Stan was not on the democratic line in the general election, Charlie Markel had that honor. Stan was on a minor line, therefore did not get the votes that were received on the dem and republican lines.

When Alice M resigned her seat to become town clerk, the democratic position was appointed to a democrat. Did the republicans submit a name for the appointment? (I don't know so I am throwing that question out there)

Stan has to run in the general election this year to finish Alice's term. He has to run in the general election again next year if he want to remain on the board.

Personally, I think Stan is doing a good job and has been thinking outside the box and doesn't go with the "well we've always done it that way" kind of thinking.
    Just because Stan did not run on the Democratic line, because he wasn't the endorsed Democrat, doesn't make him less of a Democrat. And doesn't make him any less in cahoots with the other long term board members.
    I was the Republican endorsed candidate that ran against Alice. I'm not a Republican. I didn't know I had to jump through hoops and to talk to Orsini to get my own party's endorsement. I found out the hard way just how dirty politics is. I never ran in an election before, nor did I have the money to do so. I said I would run because no one else would. How pathetic is that? Such apathy, or lack of faith, that no change could ever be made in the echelon of Cheektowaga politics that no one dared to run against Alice. It's a sad state of affairs for Cheektowaga.
    It was a learning experience and I am glad for that. Speaking of learning, where is Alex Maryvale? I learned a lot from his attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by cheektowagaloyal View Post
    So was this the Dems way of saying we know that you lost to Charlie Markel in the primary but run on a minor party line anyway to take some votes from others and we will appoint you to Alice's seat....
    I wouldn't doubt that at all.

Did the Republicans submit a name for the appointment???? Are you kidding me! Come on, really, that’s a joke right? Of course the republicans did not submit any name as they were not asked or even considered. We all know that this appointment was decided on right after election day.
    BTW, I was at a taxpayers meeting and there were several candidates present. Each was asked to say a few words about themselves and what they were running for. Mr. Arrogance (Stan Kaznowski) got up and said that he was already in the position and really didn't consider himself as running for the position. Amazing! I have news for Mr. Kaznowski, he IS running for his position because the voters will choose who will sit in that seat come November. He is not the only choice. There is a business owner from Cheektowaga that would like to be in Mr. Kaznowski's seat. His name is Jerry Kaminski and I, for one, will be voting for him come election day.
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Looking at the total votes from the last election, he finished 7 out of 7.

D MARKEL, CHARLES C 8,659 17%

D SWIATEK, JEFF 10,510 20%
    I SWIATEK, JEFF 1,020 2%
    C SWIATEK, JEFF 971 2%
    SWIATEK, JEFF Totals 12,501 24%

D ZYDEL, RICHARD A 8,871 17%
    C ZYDEL, RICHARD A 1,021 2%
    ZYDEL, RICHARD A Totals 9,892 19%

R KAMINSKI, GERALD P 6,630 13%

R MAISANO, RICHARD J 4,944 10%
    W MAISANO, RICHARD J 931 2%
    MAISANO, RICHARD J Totals 5,875 11%

R STEWART, C W 4,993 10%
    I STEWART, C W 873 2%
    STEWART, C W Totals 5,866 11%

I KAZNOWSKI, STANLEY J III 1,294 3%
    C KAZNOWSKI, STANLEY J III 980 2%
    KAZNOWSKI, STANLEY J III Totals 2,274 4%
    If it weren't for the United States Military, there would be NO United States of America !

Quote Originally Posted by cheektowagaloyal View Post
    What a year this could be for the Town of Cheektowaga Town board elections. Could we actually see people go to the polls and actually vote for the individual and not the party? I attended a meeting last night at the Bellvue Fire Department and was SHOCKED to learn that Mr. Stan Kaznowski is just another Political Appointee by the Town Board. His opponent Mr. Gerald Kaminski stated that Mr. Kaznowski was appointed to last year even though he placed last in the General Election. To say the least i had to check and see if he was correct, and he was. So is this how our town who says they respect us as taxpayers and voters does things. It appalls me to think that the Town of Cheektowaga Board that we elected, and i say elected by voting would go that far by appointing the guy with the least amount of votes to fill a vacated seat. Should'nt it be the next in line with number of votes.

Im not picking on Mr. Kaznowski, he cant help that he has some friends on the town board that worry about him more than what the voters want!

So i say this as a Democrat in the Town that i think it is time to get some balance with the town and vote for the person not the party! It is time for some change. I think it might suprise alot of people to see what the other party could bring to the Town.

Here is the problem a person like you and the rest of the cheektowaga Demo
    vote the line year after year. That is why this town has the problems it has had over the last 30 years. Vote for the person!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JustRetired View Post
    Looking at the total votes from the last election, he finished 7 out of 7.

D MARKEL, CHARLES C 8,659 17%

D SWIATEK, JEFF 10,510 20%
    I SWIATEK, JEFF 1,020 2%
    C SWIATEK, JEFF 971 2%
    SWIATEK, JEFF Totals 12,501 24%

D ZYDEL, RICHARD A 8,871 17%
    C ZYDEL, RICHARD A 1,021 2%
    ZYDEL, RICHARD A Totals 9,892 19%

R KAMINSKI, GERALD P 6,630 13%

R MAISANO, RICHARD J 4,944 10%
    W MAISANO, RICHARD J 931 2%
    MAISANO, RICHARD J Totals 5,875 11%

R STEWART, C W 4,993 10%
    I STEWART, C W 873 2%
    STEWART, C W Totals 5,866 11%

I KAZNOWSKI, STANLEY J III 1,294 3%
    C KAZNOWSKI, STANLEY J III 980 2%
    KAZNOWSKI, STANLEY J III Totals 2,274 4%
    OK, my brain needed some mental exercise this morning so I calculated the numbers based on the party lines.

Of the total number of votes cast (51697):
    Democrats received 54.3%
    Republicans: 32.1%
    Independant: 6.2%
    Conservative: 6.2%
    Working Families: 1.8%

For the Independent line:
    Kaznowski: 40.6%
    Swiatek: 32%
    Stewart: 27.4%

For the Conservative line:
    Zydel: 34.4%
    Kaznowski: 33%
    Swiatek: 32.7%

For the Working Families line
    Maisano: 100%

(disclaimer: total percentages over or under 100% are due to rounding)

Six out of seven candidates had a major line.
    The major party lines got 86.4% of the votes
    The minor party lines got 14% of the votes (see disclaimer)

Just calculating the three minor party lines you come up with:

Kaznowski: 32.1%
    Swiatek: 28.1%
    Zydel: 14.4%
    Maisano: 13.4%
    Stewart: 12.3%

It was interesting for me to bring a different perspective to the vote count. We have a stonger Republican vote cast than I had thought there was. Working Families can have a great showing in local elections if they can become more known.

OK, that's enough mental exercise for today.
    Last edited by OneEmerald; October 18th, 2008 at 10:06 AM. Reason: clairfication
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

OK, my brain needed some mental exercise this morning so I calculated the numbers based on the party lines.

Of the total number of votes cast (51697):
    Democrats received 54.3%
    Republicans: 32.1%
    Independant: 6.2%
    Conservative: 6.2%
    Working Families: 1.8%

For the Independent line:
    Kaznowski: 40.6%
    Swiatek: 32%
    Stewart: 27.4%

For the Conservative line:
    Zydel: 34.4%
    Kaznowski: 33%
    Swiatek: 32.7%

For the Working Families line
    Maisano: 100%

(disclaimer: total percentages over or under 100% are due to rounding)

Six out of seven candidates had a major line.
    The major party lines got 86.4% of the votes
    The minor party lines got 14% of the votes (see disclaimer)

Just calculating the three minor party lines you come up with:

Kaznowski: 32.1%
    Swiatek: 28.1%
    Zydel: 14.4%
    Maisano: 13.4%
    Stewart: 12.3%

It was interesting for me to bring a different perspective to the vote count. We have a stonger Republican vote cast than I had thought there was. Working Families can have a great showing in local elections if they can become more known.

OK, that's enough mental exercise for today.
    You've got some real funny math there. The votes aren't counted your way, thank God. The votes are counted by 1 person 1 vote. And when using this method (which is the method that all democracies use) Kaznowski came in last. Just to clarify for you: That means that Kaznowski had less people vote for him than voted for any other candidate running. Last out of 7. Stop with the funny math to try to make your point. By your funny math Maisano got 100% of the vote, just counting the working families line.
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    You've got some real funny math there. The votes aren't counted your way, thank God. The votes are counted by 1 person 1 vote. And when using this method (which is the method that all democracies use) Kaznowski came in last. Just to clarify for you: That means that Kaznowski had less people vote for him than voted for any other candidate running. Last out of 7. Stop with the funny math to try to make your point. By your funny math Maisano got 100% of the vote, just counting the working families line.
    Geez mike, what's your problem? I was exercising my brain! I wasn't trying to show that Stan won in any way. I thought it was interesting to see a break down across the party lines. It is obvious to EVERYBODY with a brain that Stan had the least amount of votes. Funny math my ass! I worked on that for a while this morning. Don't get on my case just because I like to do some statistics. Oh, and I'm glad you understood that Maisano got 100% of the Working Families votes.
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

Thread Information