Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Town’s response to Covid-19 crisis

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Lee, I don’t know how old you are & it’s none of my business. My guess is we’re not that many years separated. I vaguely remember the Asiatic (wasn’t racist to call it that back then) flu in 1957. I know it killed over 115,000 Americans back when there weren’t nearly so many of them. I remember the “polio count” every summer until Salk vaccine came along. That was caused by a virus as well. My wife’s cousin was unable to bear children because of it. They didn’t shut down the economy every summer. Instead, they isolated the ill and those with whom they’d come into contact. And every year they got through until a vaccine came along. Much of this has been a media created panic and that’s a pity for everyone.
    Old enough Grump to remember the end of WWII, the Holocaust, polio, tuberculosis, scarlet fever, and other health panics of the time. Through the years wars, cold war, agent orange, multiple epidemics, recessions, and terrorism.

Through all that I have never been so afraid for my country as in the last four years. The hatred, animus and divisiveness between political parties, the lack of media integrity and bias on their part has caused me to distrust and disbelieve most of what is being disseminated to the public.

How troubling it is to me to be labeled a ‘deplorable’ for voting for a presidential candidate I did not support in the primary – a flawed man who can’t learn to shut up. However, IMHO, has more integrity that a hypocritical party that professes inclusiveness, tolerance, and compassion, while exhibiting none of that to individuals expressing other opinions or questioning their double-standard policies and practices.

I would have never imagined we would come to a time when individuals could declare ‘fu**’ the president and call him a ‘racist’ for identifying the country of origin for the virus – a country that lied and hid its transmission and lethality.

The public is so screwed. It is justified in being scared, more so of the politicos and so-called medical experts whose modeling and forecasts have been inconsistent at best.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Lee, I might add I spent time in the political world. I left finally because I came to realize that it’s all about the money for those in elective office. For a long time I supported lobbying because I realized that lawmakers aren’t omniscient and can benefit from professional advocates on all sides of an issue when trying to draft effective legislation. Increasingly, the lobbying became about money as everyone bellied up to the trough to feast on the piles of taxpayer money politicians were mulcting out of the people. I got out.
    I really appreciate your sharing and enjoy our exchange. I don't often visit other threads.

I was born and raised in the City of Buffalo and because of my fathers’ involvement in union organization and city politics learned early on the nuances of politics – compromise (wink, wink).

Got married and moved to Cheektowaga – the bastion of friends and family patronage. Living in Lancaster for the past 30+ years – the last 20 involved in Lancaster politics as a resident.

I came from a strong Democrat-union based family – both sides. Have been a lifelong unaffiliated (blank) registered voter. Take heat from both political sides because of not voting their way.

Over the years, I was led to believe politics was the art of compromise for the common good. I learned early on, and too often seen the best interests served favored that of either party / politician over community.

It is incredible the BS voters will swallow because of their rigid party affiliation and all that their party stands for.

Erie County continues to be a virus ‘hot spot’ and not ready for opening non-essential businesses. Agree, as enough data is available to make a credible decision.

Governor Cuomo is quoted in today’s newspaper declaring: “I want every New Yorker to know all the facts. If you give them the facts, they will respond intelligently. But to have to give them the real facts and that’s transparency.”

Our town / village / county representatives are looking for information on how their municipalities are faring in the pandemic and are being stonewalled by local and state health institutes in getting that information.

Lancaster now has 231 confirmed Covid-19 cases.

4-10-2020 – 67 confirmed Covid-19 cases
    5-2-2020 - 173 confirmed Covid-19 cases.

In 10 days, confirmed cases in Lancaster increased by 58 – increased testing?

Outside of nursing home deaths, no information as to resident deaths, hospitalizations, patients in ICU or on ventilators.

Our confirmed case load is significantly increasing in comparison to some municipalities that were ahead of us in count one-month ago.

Transparency, I think not!

Matt, it's very confusing as Walmart and Target do have their clothing departments open but shops like the New York store are considered non-essential.

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Erie County continues to be a virus ‘hot spot’ and not ready for opening non-essential businesses. Agree, as enough data is available to make a credible decision.
    https://www.google.com/search?client...19+erie+county

There have been 292 deaths, 3891 with 479 recovered.

We seem to have 918,702 (2019) residents.

So we have had .00031% of erie county die because of Covid. Many have other issues that probably contributed to this.

How or why is this considered a "hot spot" to the point of crushing local businesses?

Percent in Erie County

292 Deaths 0.00031 Percent of Population
    3,891 Confirmed Cases 0.0042 Percent of Population
    479 recovered 0.00052 Percent of Population

Open everything up but use common sense precautions. If people want to stay home that's fine. It's their choice.

I find it odd how the virus isn't deadly enough that home depot, wegman's, tops, lowes, etc are open yet smaller businesses have to be closed or forced to work from home.

The hypocrisy about being safe and every life matters is a joke.

You have those worried about the spreading of disease yet they demand open borders and sanctuary for those illegally here. If every life matters you want a secured border.

Then you have people in a photo signing into effect late term abortion with ghoulish grins on their faces. Cuomo making comments who are we to decide who lives or dies.

Tony:

Your post validates that statistics can be used / manipulated to reach one’s own conclusion / intent. Unfortunately, you do not control data dissemination. What you see is not always what it appears to be!

Your data chart is not current. Today’s numbers:

U.S.

1,421,061 confirmed cases
    84,763 fatalities
    6.0% mortality ratio to confirmed cases

New York State

318,648 confirmed cases - 22.4% of total U.S. cases
    22,015 fatalities - 26% of total U.S. fatalities
    6.9% mortality ratio to confirmed cases

Erie County

4,484 confirmed cases
    387 fatalities
    8.6% mortality ratio to confirmed cases

I would agree Erie County should be declared a ‘hot spot’, that is, using the data they are disseminating and including nursing home deaths.

Do I believe righteous frustration exists on both business and residents alike to get the economy back on track? Indeed. But, it’s the governors call – influenced by the County Executive, both Democrats following the National Democratic Party playbook - stonewalling with stay-at-home’ and ‘refuse to go back to work we will pay you for doing so’ policies.

No concern on the part of the Dems to perform a cost/benefit risk analysis to determine stay-at-home / refuse-to-go-back -to-work policies regarding impact to the economy, essential worker health, increase in death rates from suicides, substance abuse, family physical / mental abuse, etc.

Transparency, credibility, best interests of the citizens? I think not.

Fortunately, some of the governors who control the openings are beginning to see through the BS. Push back is coming to the ‘F*** Trump movement.

Erie County trails everyone as usual as they trail everyone in everything. Well, except posts about the county executive’s hair. There we’re #1! How’s that working out for the normal people here who just want to go back to work and live their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Tony:

I would agree Erie County should be declared a ‘hot spot’, that is, using the data they are disseminating and including nursing home deaths.

Just My Thoughts and Opinions:

I am not making any accusations, and I want that made very clear.

County Executive Poloncarz is correct in being alarmed about the trending deaths in Erie County, but absent a true and complete narrative to support the presented statistics, is it not possible that some of these deaths, while occurring in health facilities resident in Erie County, may in part be attributed to those patients who may have been transferred from other regions of New York State?

(I should point out that in the crisis, it was publicly mused that some Covid-19 infected residents of NYC may be transferred to other regions of New York State, including Buffalo.

Reference: https://www.wivb.com/news/gov-andrew...een-hospitals/).

If such is actually the case, even though the deaths and hospitalizations would have occurred in Erie County, would such a circumstance not skew the numbers and misrepresent the actual Covid-19 spread among Erie County residents within Erie County limits?

Just askin'.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; May 14th, 2020 at 02:41 PM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post

County Executive Poloncarz is correct in being alarmed about the trending deaths in Erie County, but absent a true and complete narrative to support the presented statistics, is it not possible that some of these deaths, while occurring in health facilities resident in Erie County, may in part be attributed to those patients who may have been transferred from other regions of New York State?

(I should point out that in the crisis, it was publicly mused that some Covid-19 infected residents of NYC may be transferred to other regions of New York State, including Buffalo.

If such is actually the case, even though the deaths and hospitalizations would have occurred in Erie County, would such a circumstance not skew the numbers and misrepresent the actual Covid-19 spread among Erie County residents within Erie County limits?

Just askin'.
    If you do look on the state's site, they indicate that there were 411 fatalities in Erie County with 394 fatalities who were residents of Erie County.
    This could mean that 17 of the fatalities in Erie County were of out of county residents but there could also be Erie County residents who died in other counties.

Then, you look at Niagara county who had 38 deaths that occurred in their county but 52 niagara county residents have died.

https://covid19tracker.health.ny.gov...&%3Atoolbar=no

Georgia L Schlager

I don’t think they ever actually brought people here from the New York City area. I think 30 or 40 ended up in Albany. But it never got as bad as they expected in NYC. That’s why the USS Comfort sat there basically unused, that’s why the the emergency hospital in the Javitts Center was never more than half full, that’s why the emergency facilities built on Long Island never saw a patient. I’m sure Erie County hospitals get patients from the immediate surrounding counties.

"Well, There He Goes Again!"

For Heaven's sake, what is this supposed to mean?...

"Ruffino says the Town of Lancaster has seen major losses in court fees ..."
    Assuming that fines are a component to his suggested "court fees," does Supervisor Ruffino consider our town court system an institution to seek and/or administer justice, or an ATM?

Reference: https://www.wivb.com/news/local-news...rt-to-layoffs/
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; May 14th, 2020 at 05:59 PM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Just askin'.
    You clearly need mental health counseling, and in a hurry.

You are OBSESSED!

Assuming that fines are a component to his suggested "court fees," does Supervisor Ruffino consider our town court system an institution to seek and/or administer justice, or an ATM?

The court of public opinion has never been on your side, pal!

You should be fined for every dim-witted comment you post!

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
    You should be fined for every dim-witted comment you post!
    Nah, Lancaster would really go broke waiting for such opportunity, but your comment does sound like a threat, eh Bobby?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; May 14th, 2020 at 07:11 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information