Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016 census data reveals miles-long stretch of residential flight

Tony Fracasso - Admin

2016 census data reveals miles-long stretch of residential flight

2016 census data reveals miles-long stretch of residential flight

New population estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau show the big gainers and losers among Buffalo Niagara neighborhoods.

Often, they're right next to each other.

Twenty census tracts — either city or suburban neighborhoods or huge swaths of rural towns — showed gains of 15 percent or more over the past five years. But 11 of them adjoin tracts whose populations fell by 15 percent or more. Of the other nine tracts, five are also near big population-losing areas, a Buffalo News analysis of census figures shows.

Consider the City of Lockport. The population around the Erie Canal locks in the middle of the city dipped by nearly 24 percent, according to the census estimates. But it's sandwiched between two tracts that each gained about 16 percent.

Buffalo's Forest neighborhood — roughly bounded by Grant Street, the Scajaquada Expressway and West Delavan Avenue — grew in population by 42 percent. But the portion of the Black Rock neighborhood adjacent to the north lost 17 percent of its population, according to the estimates.
    http://buffalonews.com/2017/12/16/la...ime=1513456300

Cheektowaga saw some population growth in the northeast part of town, near the airport and Williamsville. But it saw double-digit declines in neighborhoods near the Walden Galleria. Just as in Buffalo, neighborhoods flanking Broadway showed a drop in residents.

Town Supervisor Diane Benczkowski said that as a realtor, she can't fathom the reasons behind the population loss and is surprised to hear it, though many residents have complained about vacant, zombie homes that have been abandoned by homeowners and taken over by banks. With stronger, grant-funded efforts to address the zombie home crisis, she said she believes troubled neighborhoods are turning around.

"We have been working on this diligently," she said.

Really? I would think any realtor would be able to see why

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    It's pretty obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    It's pretty obvious.
    I have been saying it for years, just couldn't pinpoint ALL the areas in town with loss or gains......100,000 people in Cheektowaga in 1990 as per the town website.....around 75K in 2010 from census data https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...york/PST045216 ,

but the town claims 88K NOW possibly from census data ESTIMATES for July 2016 and IMO I think this estimate is way off (too high)....https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...xhtml?src=bkmk

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    but the town claims 88K NOW possibly from census data
    The "Town" doesn't claim anything. The "cheektowaga democratic party" that has been running the town makes claims.

Same basic group of people who have brought up to the point we are at.

3 spots are up next election. My advice is to either move to a lower taxed area which is clearly in your best interest or we start working on putting competent people on the board to make the changes needed. This includes salary/bene cuts across the board not just cuts in paper clips and office supplies.

Same basic group of people who have brought up to the point we are at.

3 spots are up next election. My advice is to either move to a lower taxed area which is clearly in your best interest or we start working on putting competent people on the board to make the changes needed. This includes salary/bene cuts across the board not just cuts in paper clips and office supplies.
    That ship has sailed until the contracts are up for negotiations. Not sure if they just signed 1,2 or 3yrs contracts.

How do you suggest the negotiators go about getting these salary and benefit cuts with the unions?

They're not going to roll over and just concede and due to language in the contracts the unions have the upper hand and can hold out for years under the current contract terms.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    We would have to figure out a way to show a monopoly of services that needs to be broken. I'm fine with unions but not monopolies.

Building New York's population..

One language challenged, skill deficited, non educated , culturally mis aligned immigrant at time.

Good Job NY!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I was going to respond to this the day I read it.

I don't want to come off as a complete ass but I can't believe that is the response from Diane.

I was going to respond to this the day I read it.

I don't want to come off as a complete ass but I can't believe that is the response from Diane.
    I think she may be in denial about the population decline. Seeing she is a realtor and there is no shortage of homes to sell, this might lead her to think that more are buying and moving in then those packing up and leaving the town.

The Big picture is obvious if you look at the REAL census numbers by decade, not so much the estimates in between.......the downward slide in population in Cheektowaga and most of NY state has been happening for decades, the amount of abandoned properties in Cheektowaga is over 400 and another sign of people leaving.

Yet the town with the unions help, continues to spend money like there is no problem and the taxpayers are a never ending supply of cash.

In reality the town and school districts, county and the special districts should ALL be cutting their spending by the amount lost from every abandoned property and then some. This would be just to try and keep up with the decline in taxpayers.

Here is what the Supervisor said in 1990 (from the Bee) "CENSUS RESULTS — Cheektowaga Supervisor Frank E. Swiatek challenges the 1990 census figures recently released in Albany, which show a town population decrease of more than 10,000 since 1980. According to the figures, Cheektowaga’s population dropped from 1980’s 109,442 to 98,990 in 1990, a decrease of 10,452 or 9.6 percent. The Village of Sloan’s population fell from 4,529 in 1980 to 3,815 in 1990, 714 less residents or a drop of 15.8 percent.

More proof of the decline, 34K plus left from 1980 until 2010, the population is 1/3 less now. That is a HUGE loss.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Yet salaries go up and cost increases for bene's are covered. It needs to stop and cuts need to be made.

3 seats are up next election and all three need to be replaced. Can't be replaced by the same mindset from the local Cheektowaga Democratic party. Same group same results.

From another thread I did a loose estimate average based off of seethroughny.org

"To come up with the average you divide $31,051,184 / 410 (number of employees) = $75,920 as the average base pay. " Many of the employees are awesome people but that doesn't come into play when you have to pay the bill.

From the Empire Center-
    NY out-migration tops 1m since 2010
    Research & Data Bulletin
    New York lost another 190,508 residents to other states during the year ending last July 1, bringing the state’s total domestic migration change since 2010 to a net loss of more than 1 million people, according to the U.S. Census Bureau’s annual population estimates.

https://www.empirecenter.org/publica...1m-since-2010/

Georgia L Schlager

http://wivb.com/2018/01/04/list-loca...re-distressed/

Sloan scored # 9 on the list of most distressed places! For those in town hall that don’t know where Sloan is located it’s bordered by BROADWAY, William, Harlem and the city line

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    http://wivb.com/2018/01/04/list-loca...re-distressed/

Sloan scored # 9 on the list of most distressed places! For those in town hall that don’t know where Sloan is located it’s bordered by BROADWAY, William, Harlem and the city line
    North Ogden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information