Thread: I'm confused?!?

I'm confused?!?

So, all this talk about NYS being the welfare state and all and I read that welfare cases in NYS have been cut 40 percent in the past 11 years and that the costs of welfare represent less than two percent of the state budget.

What am I missing here???

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/poli...icle221396.ece

Welfare: debunking the myths

Myth: Welfare is a huge drain on state taxpayers

Fact: Cash assistance to the poor takes up about 1.5 percent of the state budget.

--

Myth: New York's welfare rolls are huge and growing.

Fact: The state's welfare rolls have shrunk 42 percent since 1999 and have only edged up slightly since the recession began.

--

Myth: Welfare pays as much as working.

Fact: For a single person, welfare pays about $160 a month in New York.

--

Myth: People stay on welfare forever.

Fact: Under a 1996 reform bill, federally funded welfare benefits are cut off after five years, although New York has its own safety net program that offers benefits beyond the time limit.

All the while medicaid has doubled and is now 52$ billion!

Also keep in mind that when most people talk about welfare they refer to every govt hand out an not just the cash pay out!
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    All the while medicaid has doubled and is now 52$ billion!

Also keep in mind that when most people talk about welfare they refer to every govt hand out an not just the cash pay out!
    You can't get Medicaid without being on welfare. So, the rolls for Medicaid have shrunk by the same margin.

The problem is not with the program, but with the rising costs of health care.
    Raptor Jesus: He went extinct for your sins.

Quote Originally Posted by NBuffaloResident View Post
    You can't get Medicaid without being on welfare. So, the rolls for Medicaid have shrunk by the same margin.

No, you don't have to be on welfare.
    http://www.cms.gov/MedicaidEligibility/

You definitely do not have to be on Welfare to be on Medicaid or Medicare, you can be collecting Social Security & collect either, Welfare has nothing to do with it....
    And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15
    www.onlinemedia.net - www.vinyl-graphics.com

Example #749 of you just making sh*t up and looking like an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by BorderBob View Post
    So, all this talk about NYS being the welfare state and all and I read that welfare cases in NYS have been cut 40 percent in the past 11 years and that the costs of welfare represent less than two percent of the state budget.

I think the word welfare has been adopted by many as a descriptive term for any type of assistance.

You have housing programs, Food Stamps/EBT, HEAP, Medicaid and Welfare. This 5-pack is enough to have someone live 100% of the government and what some refer to simply as welfare.

Wow. Wrong again. Medicaid is an INCOME based program you do not have to be on" cash" welfare to get it...

Its called research...
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

I would like to just clarify a couple things. I believe that when people use the label "welfare" they most often mean "cash assistance". But I have seen that different people also attach different meanings to that label-meaning medicaid food stamps, subsidized housing etc. NYS does not use the label "welfare" anymore and hasn't for a long time.

The programs are Temporary Assistance (aka cash assistance or public assistance). If you are eligible for cash assistance then you are most likely eligible for medicaid and food stamps. However a person can be eligible for medicaid only or food stamps (aka non-temporary asstance food stamps or non-public assistance food stamps) only without having to apply for the cash. Also a person can be eligible for daycare, heap and subsidized housing seperately without being on cash assistance.

Medicaid is the state medical program. Medicare is the Social Security program & can only be receieved if one is receiving social security benefits like SSI, disability or retirement. Those receiving social security depent benefits are not eligible for Medicaid.

Food stamps also has a new name as per the feds: Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or SNAP. Again people can apply for this program alone.

Hope this helps
    My music is the expression of my soul. If my song is censored, I'll sing it loud somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by BorderBob View Post

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/poli...icle221396.ece

Welfare: debunking the myths

Myth: Welfare is a huge drain on state taxpayers

Fact: Cash assistance to the poor takes up about 1.5 percent of the state budget.

--

Myth: New York's welfare rolls are huge and growing.

Fact: The state's welfare rolls have shrunk 42 percent since 1999 and have only edged up slightly since the recession began.

--

Myth: Welfare pays as much as working.

Fact: For a single person, welfare pays about $160 a month in New York.

--

Myth: People stay on welfare forever.

Fact: Under a 1996 reform bill, federally funded welfare benefits are cut off after five years, although New York has its own safety net program that offers benefits beyond the time limit.
    IMHO I believe these myths/facts refer to Temporary Assistance where a person/family receives cash, medicaid and food stamps. What I do know is that while cases of those on the Temporary Assistance program has reduced the cases for medicaid only and food stamps only has increased.

Although I cannot give you stats because I don't have those figures available to me I am speaking from experience as a worker who had a caseload of food stamp only receipents go from an average of 650 to 830 (180) in one year multiply that figure by 72 workers equaling an increase of 12960 cases in one year. 59760 food stamp only cases. This is a rough estimate but you get the idea. This figure again is for food stamp only recepients not including those receiving cash assistance with food stamps.
    My music is the expression of my soul. If my song is censored, I'll sing it loud somewhere else.

Thread Information