Full Story on Channel 4

(Buffalo, NY, July 20, 2006) - - A Buffalo school board member and a business vendor are raising serious questions about bidding practices in the district. They're telling Senior Correspondent Rich Newberg that contributions to to a foundation set up by Superintendent Dr. James Williams are now a factor in getting school contracts.
Ludtka Sporting Goods in Cheektowaga has been providing the Buffalo school system with equipment and uniforms for 15 years, but now says it has been shut out of doing business with the district, because it wouldn't contribute money to a foundation started by school superintendent Dr. James Williams.
Debbie Lancellotti of Ludtka Sporting Goods said, "We simply cannot give them $15,000 or $20,000 in advance to get all of the equipment awarded to us."
The Buffalo Schools Foundation, started by Superintendent Williams, is designed to raise money for district sports programs, at a time when money is scarce.
Companies that put up advance money get exclusive contracts for as long as six years.
Williams said, "We put out bids. People bidded on it. Some people refused to bid on it. But I'm doing what I think is right for the children, and that's how I made my decision."