The writer addressed the Lancaster Town Board on the status of the widening of William Street between Transit Road and Aurora Street last night.

Chowaniec: At the last town board meeting County Legislator Ted Morton addressed the board on his effort to support getting the William Street open drainage ditches piped and covered to widen a section of county road that in many areas only has a one-to-two foot shoulder.

At that meeting Supervisor Fudoli, you stated that a letter of support from the town would be sent to County Executive Mark Poloncarz and/or the Legislature. Has the town submitted such letter?

Fudoli: I am working with Ted Morton’s assistant to draft such letter and getting it to the county. We are looking at the language we want to incorporate.

Chowaniec: Hopefully soon. Yesterday’s Buffalo News ran a report on Transit Road regarding its development and transportation shortcomings. I found two comments analogous to what has happened in the town. “Even if its legal its unsafe,” There is no question there are other overburdened two lane county roads, but this stretch of William Street is unsafe for myriad reasons and needs widening.

The report also stated: “A county planning board would have helped towns dealing with land use and transportation issues.” The town has never had an official/certified planner as well.

I am an advocate of getting this section of road widened because I live here. I see on a regular basis the unsafe vehicular travel that takes place here. Seniors living in a senior apartment complex have little road shoulder to walk on; much less the sidewalks they have petitioned the town to have installed that would allow them to walk to the nearby Wal-Mart, other retail stores and/or the Rite Aid pharmacy.

I see children and adults walking or biking this stretch of road at much risk; all because there is but a one-to-two foot road shoulder before falling into the open drainage ditch.
Mr. Fronczak has spoke several times on his spouse being involved where an emergency vehicle was delayed and could not get past the pulled over stacked vehicles until they repositioned themselves; no shoulder to pull over on.

In all the years that residents have been coming to the board seeking relief from traffic volume and traffic safety issues, this is the most opportune time for getting something done here. William Street is improved as much as its going to get. We have been told and understand that the county has not the money, nor would it spend $5 million several years ago to put n a third lane. All the improvements to this road have been made. We get that.

But when you look at all the development that is to come along William Street in the future, residential and commercial, no matter how well the state and county synchronize signalization between the Wal-Mart signal and the Transit Road signal, that intersection is a hell-hole. Traffic is still getting backed up at this intersection where people blow horns, losing tempers and acting in such manner that leads to accidents. This intersection is miserably overburdened and attempts to calm the traffic have failed.

It is the town’s number one priority to protect its residents. Something can be done along this stretch of William Street to address a pedestrian and vehicular safety issues. This stretch of two-lane county road is already overburdened with 15,000 daily vehicles travelling it; and with more development to come.

It should be the county’s number one priority to protect its citizens as well. I find it hard to understand why Mr. Poloncarz is resisting in taking on this project; especially when the cost in undertaking the project is estimated at $100,000.

I therefore hope the town submits a letter of support and puts it in the communications, or sponsors it by resolution for the residents of Lancaster to see. Mr. Morton and his staff have already posted a petition online and have like supporters getting hard copy signatures to petition Poloncarz to act on this needed project. Lancaster residents are tired of hearing from the town that William is a county road and there is nothing the town can do about it.” Legislator Morton is doing a good job in driving this project and the town should expend whatever effort necessary in support.