http://www.buffalonews.com/city/comm...icle547704.ece

Landlords in Cheektowaga could soon face fines if their tenants repeatedly require police intervention — something officials say has become a major problem in this town of 94,000.

The Town Board is pursuing a plan that would require all landlords to be licensed by the town.

It’s part of a new effort, led by Supervisor Mary F. Holtz, to reduce disorderly conduct and problem tenants. The idea is that if landlords are more closely watched and monitored by the town, they can easily be fined when their tenants are repeatedly the targets of police intervention.

Landlords whose tenants have three such incidents in the same calendar year could face a fine of $50, four incidents will lead to a fine of $100, five incidents will lead to a $500 fine, and any more incidents will net a fine of $1,000.
They didn't mention that the $10 license fee would allow background checks on tenants by CPD.

Keep an eye on this to see what Depew and Lancaster do....If this passes (which I personally think it should), are they ready to react?

As a homeowner in the Village of Lancaster, the number of absentee landlords in my neighborhood and subsequent poor renting decisions have made my home lose significant value because of the quality of the neighborhood. In speaking with some of the village leadership, it isn't just an issue on my block - it's all across the area..I can't think of anything that would be a bigger plus than this to force improvement. Put the tenants on notice right away - you act like a jackass, there will be consequences - just like in real life.