On Thursday, January 3rd, the Brant Town Board passed a resolution prohibiting the public from speaking at our town board meetings. The Supervisor, before the vote, stated that the other towns are passing similar resolutions. He stated West Seneca, Orchard Park, Amherst and Evans passed the same resolution. After conversations with each of these towns, I have been advised that not only do these towns not have any such “resolution” they actually encourage the public to attend and speak at their meetings. Orchard Park’s resolution actually states that “the Town Council’s role is to listen.”

I have spoken to 3 of the board members who voted “yes” on this resolution and I am shocked to say that they admitted to me that “we’re sick of hearing from the same people about the same things.” This is the same town board which appointed an unqualified Chief of Police and paid him over $30,000.00 a year until the public, through the media, forced them to remove this officer as Chief and appoint a qualified Chief in his place who now is only getting paid $15,600.00 per year. What would have happened if the Brant taxpayers and concerned citizens didn’t the right to speak and bring this matter to everyone’s attention. It’s my guess that we would still be paying an unqualified Chief of Police.

It is my intention to have the Town Board re-vote on this resolution and pass a new resolution letting the Town of Brant residents speak at the town board meetings. I need to enlist the help of the public and the media. The next Town Board meeting is February 12th, 2008 at 7:00 p.m. at the Brant Town Hall on Route 249, Brant, New York. I am hoping that the media will agree to cover this meeting forcing the board to consider the consequences of their actions.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Debra A. Ritz
Citizens for Good and Open Government

(716) 675-1066
(716) 337-2659