Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
I think it's a wonderful idea to have NCCC locate it's Culinary Institute and Tourism Program at the Rainbow Mall. Tourism, what better place to have a great program. That building is sitting vacant, why not use it. Perhaps housing would occupy other parts of the mall, perhaps restaurants might occupy other parts of the mall due to the Institute. Point is, it is a great place for NCCC to have another site.

The Mayor Dyster, who is a wonderful person and is doing a great job is opening up the doors for development to come back into Niagara Falls.

All it takes is one idea, and watch it spin. People need to embrace education and spin off companies. NCCC and ECCC are becoming an affordable way to obtain education.

Wake up people, this is a great idea.

Linda, you don't live here, worry about your own town.
Nowhere did I oppose the idea of the programs being downtown. I do question the "gift" of this building to the college, however. There's a big cost difference between a college leasing just the space it needs to launch a new program and maintaining an aging building that contains 3 times the space it needs. Who pays the difference, shortstuff? It's your tax money, not mine, since my local community college minds its money carefully.

Moreover, if Cordish, who has been a successful developer elsewhere, couldn't develop the Rainbow Centre, I fail to see how NCCC is going to do it. As for NCCC being a catalyst for redevelopment, you might want to check out all the development that hasn't spun off from the ECC City Campus which has been in downtown Buffalo for almost 30 years now.