You've got to love that Lynn Ruda. She 'rocks'
Roundabouts

Board approves project proposal, design report
Mayor votes against resolution
September 17, 2020
by MARIA PERICOZZI Editor

The Lancaster Village Board voted to approve the project proposal and design report for the Lancaster Roundabouts Project Monday.

Four trustees voted for the resolution, and Mayor William Schroeder voted against the resolution. Trustee Lynne Ruda questioned Schroeder’s decision to vote against the resolution.

“You’ve been sitting in the work sessions, and you’ve said you have no issues or concerns. We’ve brought it up, many times including tonight, about questions or concerns, and you have yet to say anything,” Ruda said. “The project is paid for, the public has been supporting the project, you’ve been sitting in sessions and said nothing, not participated, not asked a question, not done anything.”

Ruda added that Schroeder has been part of this project for years now and has had a hand in every piece of the project.

Schroeder said he voted no because he’s the person who receives the hate mail and phone calls from residents he believes were being blown off.

“I don’t think that their voices were heard and they were completely ignored,” Schroeder said.

Ruda questioned why Schroeder had not brought up his concerns before during a work session.

“How many times have we said, ‘Are there any questions, are there any concerns?’” Ruda said.

Schroeder replied that he did not have any questions or concerns, and that he understood the project.

“I’m sticking up for the people that are against it,” Schroeder said. “Nobody seemed to want to listen to them. Nobody wanted to hear them and they were blown off … Those people have a voice in this village and I work for those people, just as I work for the other ones. I didn’t think it was fair they were being ignored.”

Ruda pointed out that in a recent survey launched by the Village of Lancaster, 63% of respondents expressed appreciation and noted the roundabouts project would improve overall functionality and safety and revitalize downtown.

“They’re not being ignored,” Ruda said. “What about the larger majority that are for the project? Now you’re ignoring them.”

Schroeder said he is not ignoring them and is taking their opinions into consideration.

Around 28% of respondents to the village survey noted they do not like anything about the project, and roundabouts are not required in the survey. According to the survey, the biggest concern about construction for respondents was the impact to local businesses. Other concerns included traffic detours, dust, noise,
snow removal, the residents in the Towers, pedestrian foot traffic and public transportation. A full draft survey summary is located on the village website, lancastervillage.org.

Schroeder said he believes the survey was skewed toward a favorable response.

“You were part of designing the survey,” Ruda said, and Schroeder replied he did not design the survey. “Yes, you did, because we sat down as a board and worked through those questions.”

Schroeder said he has brought up concerns that the project has not been properly publicized from the beginning, which had to do with COVID-19. He said he was the one who insisted on sending mailings to residents, because at the time residents needed to rely on social media to receive information.
“We have an aging community, a lot of those people don’t do social media,” Schroeder said.

Ruda said she was extraordinarily disappointed in Schroeder.

“Just like everybody else, I have my right to an opinion,” Schroeder said. “That’s the way I feel about it and that’s the way I voted.”
The resolution was to accept and approve the initial project proposal and final design report for the Village of Lancaster Roundabouts Project and authorize Schroeder to sign the report, contingent upon review and approval by the New York State Department of Transportation.

“As the leader of us, your signature’s going to be on this,” Ruda said.

“I will do that, that’s part of my job,” Schroeder said.

The board unanimously passed a resolution to approve the Short Environmental Assessment Form for the project, declaring that the Village of Lancaster has determined that the project will not result in any significant adverse environmental impacts.