At Monday evening’s town board meeting, in his official report Supervisor Ronald Ruffino declared his ‘loaf of bread statement’ was taken out of context. His point was using an analogy to describe the seriousness of Covid-19 and steps the town would use to combat the spread of the virus in Lancaster.

He also announced recent national, state and county statistics regard confirmed cases and deaths. He only provided information on the number of confirmed Covid-19 cases in Lancaster – 95.

At the public comment session, I asked Supervisor Ruffino on whether there were any incidents where citations were issued to individuals violating the ‘gatherings’ mandate he had proposed at the last board meeting. He reported: “None that I know of.” Code Enforcement Officer Matt Fischione reported three incidents where contractors were contacted and the situation was remedied, No police report was given despite the fact that Ruffino focused on the police departments support in cracking down on ‘gathering’ violators,

When asked whether the town would be enforcing the newly mandated wearing of face masks, Ruffino declared he didn’t know how to answer yet as the mandate just went into effect. We both agreed on the importance of wearing face coverings in confined locations. Wegmans and Tops stated they would continue to serve customers not wearing masks.

When asked for specifics regarding the reported 95 Lancaster confirmed Covid-19 cases, Ruffino declared that the county would not provide any other information to the town except the number of confirmed cases. He stated that Emergency Management Coordinator Ron Rozler had been trying to get more details but was rebuffed by the Erie County Health Department.

Rozler remarked that the county would not release information other than numbers of individuals testing positive to ensure personal privacy. HIPA regulations were also mentioned as reasons for information denial. Rozler added that the town only found out about the nine nursing facility deaths through a recent Buffalo News report.

I stated my disappointment in not getting specifics and declared that Lancaster residents had a right and a need for such information to determine how impacted the town is by the virus and its severity in order to make good decisions on taking risks leaving their homes for what they consider ‘essential’ reasons.

How safe is my town? Of those 95 confirmed cases (and we know there have been many more untested cases):

• How many deaths – other than the nine from the nursing facility

• How many hospitalizations

• How many in ICU – on ventilators

• Are the 46 confirmed nursing home cases included in the 95 total

The town and its residents have a right to this information. The town should demand this information and post it on its website.

As in the county, Lancaster’s confirmed Covid-19 case numbers are trending upward. What is the significance of the increase? How safe am I conducting business in Lancaster and what precautionary best practices should I be following? What is going on in my town?