Platforms from 2013 -

Ronald Ruffino Sr.

Number of years living in town: 20
Occupation/Employer: Vice President at HSBC Bank USA
Top campaign platform agendas:
Using my fiscally conservative views in providing quality services at the best prices offered. I feel that I have connected with the people of this community and assisted in making this the best full service town to live in, while keeping in mind the affordability to live here. To mention a few, I am very proud of the services that are offered through our youth and senior centers.
Biggest issues facing the town:
Keeping our taxes at a reasonable rate while continuing to provide quality services. With all of the mandates that are levied upon us, this continues to be the most challenging issue we face. As stated before, I am in favor of the tax cap and although a loophole exists where we can override it, I’m on record stating I will never override the tax cap. I feel the solution to this issue is to step outside the box and search for alternative programs that will assist us in continuing to retain these valuable services at a reasonable tax rate. One of the things that I’m working on now is having a contract finalized with Danforth in which they conducted an energy audit of our buildings and the utilities. This energy audit will produce areas in which the town can save valuable tax dollars over a period of time by adhering to the suggested measures.
John M. Abraham Jr.

Number of years living in town: Lifelong resident of Depew and Lancaster
Occupation/Employer: Social Studies teacher for Lancaster Central School District
Elected Lancaster town councilman in 2008 to fill a vacancy, and elected to full term in 2009.
Top campaign platform agendas:

One of the issues I want to address in my second term is abandoned and foreclosed properties in Lancaster. Having these homes in a neighborhood causes property values to drop and leads to other problems with rodents and looters. I want to continue to work with Lancaster’s Code Enforcement Officers to make sure the banks who own these properties continue to maintain them so that they can eventually be sold or, if necessary, demolished.
I also want to continue to work to find ways to provide services to the residents of Lancaster while trying to keep taxes down. One of the things that has been done since I was elected to my first term includes the opening of the Heritage Bike Trail. This trail was built using federal grants and no local tax dollars.
I have also supported tax breaks for Cold War Veterans as well as for senior citizens.
During my first term in office, the town of Lancaster has gotten a new public safety building built. After being discussed for the last ten years, this new facility will provide our police department and our judges with the necessary space and needs to carry out their duties.
Biggest issues facing the town:
One of the biggest issues facing the Town of Lancaster is infrastructure. During my first term in office, I worked with the Highway Superintendent to bond money in order to update and fix many of the bridges, roads, and culverts throughout Lancaster.
Spending and taxes is another issue facing the town of Lancaster. Just like other municipalities, Lancaster has to find ways to provide services to its residents while trying to keep spending down. Some things that I have done to address this included updating highway equipment. Much of this equipment has been used for more than 20-30 years and by making these much-needed upgrades will save the town money in the long run on maintenance costs.

Additionally, I have supported the town moving to self-insured for town employees. This move saved taxpayers money by cutting down on some healthcare costs for town employees.
Well, Ruffino did vote 'NO' to the resolution opening the possibility of a tax override.

Abraham, on the other hand shouldn't be taking credit for the updating of highway equipment which was essentially initiated by the highway superintendent.