Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow Tolls

Slow Tolls

Since toll booths were abandoned, traffic is much slower at Ogden and Breckenridge sites

Thruway and transportation experts, meanwhile, are asking themselves the same question on the minds of gridlocked commuters: Is the congestion temporary or permanent? STORY
    This kills me...the NYS Thruway "Experts" are baffled.

This isn't brain surgery ladies...knock down the toll booths, raise the speed limit to what it is on the rest of the 190 and viola...no more congestion.

Problem is...because the government is involved it'll take 63 studies, 47 meetings, 14 committees voting unanimously and then maybe sometime next year they'll start tearing the tolls down. Of course...once they decide to remove them...if the Thruway Authority does the job itself that'll take 6 weeks and cost 52 million dollars to finish.
    The difference between taxes and robbery is the mode of coercion.

As soon as the Peace Bridge is done, they'll start.
    The evil hide even when no one is chasing them.- Proverbs

Quote Originally Posted by NoCtUrNaL

This isn't brain surgery ladies...knock down the toll booths, raise the speed limit to what it is on the rest of the 190 and viola...no more congestion.

Problem is...because the government is involved it'll take 63 studies, 47 meetings, 14 committees voting unanimously and then maybe sometime next year they'll start tearing the tolls down. Of course...once they decide to remove them...if the Thruway Authority does the job itself that'll take 6 weeks and cost 52 million dollars to finish.
    The slow down is caused becuase every car that used to avoid the I-190 Tolls are now on I-190 because there are no tollls. The traffic has increased.

Unregistered
    Drivng through the Breckenridge site the other day, I clearly summized the cause of the slowdown ... two of the available toll lanes were blocked by parked thruway authority vehicles. I should add that there were no signs of construction and no workers in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by mikewrona
    The slow down is caused becuase every car that used to avoid the I-190 Tolls are now on I-190 because there are no tollls. The traffic has increased.

Good point.

Sadly someone will be killed in an accident at one of these barriers before anything is done. These obstructions are an accident waiting to happen. What would it take, two nights, when traffic is low, to remove these obstructions? There will be one hell of a lawsuit or more against the Thruway Authority if and when an accident does happen. NYS government needs to threaten them once again. This time to finish the job. Where are all those politicians now? Waiting for the camera exposure when someone does die?

There maybe a fraction of an increase in traffic because there is no longer a toll to be paid, but once they remove the toll barriers themselves and increase the speed limit to the 55mph it is along the rest of the 190 there will be an appreciable decrease in congestion.
    The difference between taxes and robbery is the mode of coercion.

There maybe a fraction of an increase in traffic because there is no longer a toll to be paid, but once they remove the toll barriers themselves and increase the speed limit to the 55mph it is along the rest of the 190 there will be an appreciable decrease in congestion.
    You may be right, but there is a considerable decrease in traffic getting off and on the Thruway at William St. because they are no longer taking the side roads to get back on or off at Ogden St. Those cars are now going directly to the I-190.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginTaxpayer
    Drivng through the Breckenridge site the other day, I clearly summized the cause of the slowdown ... two of the available toll lanes were blocked by parked thruway authority vehicles. I should add that there were no signs of construction and no workers in sight.
    No problem...... Gas powder 14 inch saw..... Where is that thing in my backpack, I know I got it somewhere........

This is nothing more than the Thruway Authority showing us that they are going to work on removing the toll booths when they get good and ready at a snails pace.

There is no reason why there cannot be a skeleton crew dismantling the booths. One week time with a two shift crew that toll area could be completely redone and paved and stripe painted.

If WNYERS are smart, term used loosely, they should start making noise and turning up the blast furnace to these dohts.

Politics as usual with no end in site.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    NO,

The slow down is because now there's a barrier impeding traffic. If the barriers weren't there don't you think even with the traffic increase it would flow much better?

I'd have to say a combo of both factors contribute to the congestion.
    The evil hide even when no one is chasing them.- Proverbs

It hasn't been that bad, actually, at least not at Black Rock in the evening. Maybe an extra minute or two. It's bad when there's a Trooper sitting there babysitting the toll booths because everyone slams on their brakes and goes 2 MPH. Get rid of the trooper and the speed will self-regulate.

Oh,

Oh, you didn't hear...Albany is voting this week on bring back the tolls at Breckenridge and Ogdon next year.....You really didn't think Albany was going to give you a freebee did you ?? This is why they are not hurrying up to knock them down...At construction company in Buffalo already said, they could have them down in 2 weks......Wait until next year.....
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Got a source on that?
    I made a lot of money and spent most of it on booze, fast cars and loose women. I blew the rest.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Riven37
    Oh, you didn't hear...Albany is voting this week on bring back the tolls at Breckenridge and Ogdon next year.....You really didn't think Albany was going to give you a freebee did you ?? This is why they are not hurrying up to knock them down...At construction company in Buffalo already said, they could have them down in 2 weks......Wait until next year.....
    What company said two weeks? What is thier quote for the work done?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information