Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAC should support the Families of Continental Flight 3407

SAC should support the Families of Continental Flight 3407

Awaiting Flight 3407 report, families plan for walk

WASHINGTON — Federal investigators plan to release their report on the crash of Continental Connection Flight 3407 next week, while relatives of the crash’s victims are gearing up to mark its one-year anniversary Feb. 12 by walking from the Clarence Center accident site to Buffalo Niagara International Airport in Cheektowaga.

The National Transportation Safety Board has scheduled a 9:30 a. m. meeting Tuesday to approve and release the report. For the families, that will be the start of an emotional 10 days leading up to the anniversary.

More than 50 members of the Families of Continental Flight 3407 plan to attend the safety board meeting, said Scott Maurer of Moore, S. C., whose daughter, Lorin, was killed in the crash. Others will gather in the Millennium Hotel, 2040 Walden Ave., Cheektowaga, to view the proceedings.

Family members, loved ones and friends will take part in the Feb. 12 walk, which is intended to honor the victims and to call attention to the air safety lapses that have not been addressed in the wake of the crash.

Click here to read full article.

Airport Safety is the prime concern of all involved. Mispent tax dollars and FAA over sight is major problem.

Neighbors should support neighbors!
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Why? They bought their tickets. They knew what they were getting into.

">

I think it would be a mistake for the SAC group to get involved in this. It would come across as if they're exploiting the 3407 tragedy.

Just my opinion...

Thats exactly the response I expected

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    I think it would be a mistake for the SAC group to get involved in this. It would come across as if they're exploiting the 3407 tragedy.

Just my opinion...
    While some would say that, those who do are the ones who wouldn't walk anyway. Or they would discourage others for some unknown reason. Why?

If you are there to support a person at a charity and your a elected official - well lets skip that one!

If you attend a peace rally and your a union member, is your union there to "Exploit the rally"?

You are there because you share a common issue - air traffic/air port safety.

I didn't say bring big signs that say "Support SAC" - I didn't say where "SAC Tee shirts" (you'd freeze to death).

You have two groups of residents, different areas, inter twining issues. Thats part of the problem in todays society - some say,"if it ain't my back yard I ain't going and if I ain't going i don't think others should."

Well its your choice not go - some choice to care. Are we exploiting the Haitians by having a fund raiser even though we are not Haitian?

SAC supports all causes that require many facets. Examples would entail, safety, zoning, development, residential support or political support.

What we do is support of our fellow taxpaying residents.

Sylvan, your statement is absurd so that you can get a reaction. People died and you are heartless.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Sylvan, your statement is absurd so that you can get a reaction. People died and you are heartless.
    Not really. I hung out in that neighborhood for over one third of my life. I know a lot of people around there, including family, and especially the firehall, and I care about that entire town.

My beef is with "the system" lovers. If the system requires insurance than insurance should have the integrity to take care of its responsibility. If insurance is not doing that and people need MORE, then get rid of insurance and create another system that will.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvan View Post
    Not really. I hung out in that neighborhood for over one third of my life. I know a lot of people around there, including family, and especially the firehall, and I care about that entire town.

My beef is with "the system" lovers. If the system requires insurance than insurance should have the integrity to take care of its responsibility. If insurance is not doing that and people need MORE, then get rid of insurance and create another system that will.
    Sylvan, your response is oblique. Who are the "system lovers" and what does insurance have to do with people paying homage because of a tragedy?

Rising is right to advise SAC not to take advantage of the march for self interest reasons. However, I know many of the individuals supporting the SAC effort and they are not of a mind to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Sylvan, your response is oblique. Who are the "system lovers" and what does insurance have to do with people paying homage because of a tragedy?

Rising is right to advise SAC not to take advantage of the march for self interest reasons. However, I know many of the individuals supporting the SAC effort and they are not of a mind to do that.
    Yeah youre right. Oblique. So who is the SAC? Soccer Association of Columbia - Southern Association of Colleges - Strategic Air Command?

The title of the tread just sounded like another call for money from some governemnt agency, and to me that means tax dollars. How many tax dollars have now been wasted creating new rules and regulations over this tragety? Planes crash, why cant people just deal with that?

The system lovers are those who support the over-spending on studies and procedures for creating new laws and preventative enforcement when common sense is free if not a fraction of the usual costs. What am I talking about? The damn plane could have flew around the storm! And thats the type of quailty and common sense service the passegers deserve to have at the price they paid for their tickets.

Safety isnt about charging the public to develop technology to fly through an ice storm and over-training pilots at their expense. Conquering nature only ends up getting people killed. Fly around the storm and deal with being 20 minutes off schedule.

I stand by my insurance comment. I dont have a problem with homage if thats what people as individuals want to do.

your view - your opinion

LC: "take advantage" Theo: "exploiting"

I guess then if the people from Clarence wanted to support SAC's efforts, by your standards they'd be "Taking Advantage" - or - "Exploiting" SAC!

So if residents from one Town support an issue in another like with love channel - they were Exploiting or taking advantage of them?????

Was your responses based on your personal beliefs or what you assumed my reasons might be for suggesting it?

I don't think people should care about school board issues either - so I think nobody should go.

I think Green Peace is BS - so don't donate - I think its better if you don't!

Why should France join with the United States to help Haiti - are we exploiting and taking advantage of them too????

Whats you rational - you think the people from Clarence would say, "Don't walk with me, your taking advantage of this to exploit me." -

I didn't say bring big signs that say "Support SAC" - I didn't say wear "SAC Tee shirts" (you'd freeze to death).

You have two groups of residents, different areas, inter twining issues. Thats part of the problem in todays society - some say,"if it ain't my back yard I ain't going and if I ain't going i don't think others should."

Don't color my suggestions with your assumptions of what could be my motives

4248 - you have a hard time with people disagreeing with you, don't you?

Sylvan:

SAC stands for ‘Safe Aviation Coalition’. Originally formed by dozens of residents living near the Lancaster Airport and getting buzzed by low flying airplanes - following an airspace restrictions set by the FFA to not violate Buffalo-Niagara International Airport (BNIA) airspace – and fearful of air crashes, it has grown to hundreds, if not thousands of supporters for myriad other reasons.

As one of those supporters, I have spoken out at not only their personal safety concerns but at the wasted federal and state money that has been provided to a private entity to expand an airport under the guise of public use and need; a need for the Lancaster airport to become a reliever for the traffic at BNIA? Nonsense! $12 million will be spent on this airport’s expansion. Millions more were given to Western New York airstrips for like reason. $32 million was invested at the Niagara International Airport for like expansion.

The expansion at Lancaster favors only flying hobbyists and if further approval comes, corporate jets. Neither project will afford 98% of Lancaster residents a use opportunity nor provide a revenue stream that offsets expansion costs. In fact, the airport paid only $28,000 in property taxes last year, far less than had the property been developed as zoned for industrial and commercial use. Now throw in the three IDA’s the Airport owner has already received and the next one that is being considered by the Lancaster Industrial Development Agency (LIDA). The hangar buildings were paid for with fed and state grant monies and the IDA applicant had the nerve to put on the IDA application that the grant would be used to provide cheap hangar fees and cheaper gas – with no job growth.

The town’s denial of their complicity in this project, especially endorsing resolutions that allowed the airport to get state aid at this time of financial crisis, is galling.

And who profits from the expansion? It is obvious it is the airport owner, the flight school, property owners who sold land to the airport at outrageous prices and perhaps others. One thing is clear; the taxpayers took it in the shorts.

Lastly, although your points have merit, the march is simply to commemorate the anniversary of the crash and loss of lives. How could that be bad?

As you wrote LC: "take advantage", I have to make it clear to you that I did say the SAC members I know would not act in such manner at the march that would use the event to take advantage of. They would attend to commemorate the anniversary and honor the dead.

However, there was a resident who did appear at the first Town Board meeting on the airport issue and did say that she recently moved from Clarence and was concerned that the same thing, namely, airplane crash had the potential of happening in her neighborhood. That analogy was never used again because the two situations are not related in any way – except fear of a land crash.

Whereas Rising feels it behooves SAC not to attend, I differ. But I do agree their presence should be without SAC cause exposure.

Rising is entitled to his opinion.

To piggyback off this, Bob Miller is the spoke's person for Flight 3407 on Channel 4 News. He claims to be an expert on Flight Aviation.

Do we feel he is sensationalizing his expertise to benefit his flight school business?

It depends how someone looks at it.

SAC has great empathy for the incident of Flight 3407, they are in our hearts and spirit. However, we will not join in on the March. I believe the march will encompass the resident's of Clarence.

Talking Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    To piggyback off this, Bob Miller is the spoke's person for Flight 3407 on Channel 4 News. He claims to be an expert on Flight Aviation.

Do we feel he is sensationalizing his expertise to benefit his flight school business?

It depends how someone looks at it.

SAC has great empathy for the incident of Flight 3407, they are in our hearts and spirit. However, we will not join in on the March. I believe the march will encompass the resident's of Clarence.
    Now this is a good response - no insinuations just a heart felt comment.
    Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    Now this is a good response - no insinuations just a heart felt comment.
    Thank You!

Your welcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information