Thread: Pilots Lack Key Safety Training

Pilots Lack Key Safety Training

In the Bufnews January 31st; Piedmont pilots lack key safety training.
    This was by Tom Precious and Jerry Zremski

"Unfamiliarity with stick pusher in wake of Flight 3407 shocks victims' families, aviation experts"

A year later, and the FAA still continues to repeat itself. These families are fighting for the lives lost to untrained pilots and fatique. FAA still won't do the right thing by increasing training hours and recognizing "pilot fatique."

"The FAA does not compel us to have the training. We feel it should be there," stated Morgan Duraant, a US Airways spokesman.

I ask why does the FAA not want to work towards improving safety and training skills?

"A spokesman for US Airways, which owns Piedmont , confirmed that Piedmont's main training center in Charlotte, NC, does not include hands-on stick-pusher instruction for the more than 300 pilots undergoing once-a-year, mandatory recurrent training." stated in the Bufnews.

Why not? Does it cost too much money to further training? Wouldn't perhaps using some of the monies going to small aviation strips further benefit training?

It states that airlines are not hiring pilots during the recession, OK, then why are monies going to GA strips? It should go to training these pilots.

"It's the classic story of the FAA treating the airlines like customers, " said one Piedmont pilot, who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of getting fired. (according to Bufnews)

What does that mean? I think FAA is too cozy with the industry and this mentality needs to change if we want to see progress.

"Remember the key component we're training for is to avoid the stall," Babbitt said. "You never want the situation to get that far. You may want to demonstrate what the airplane can do, but the training is to never get to the stall."

I ask, this is a statement from the new director appointed by President Obama in hopes of changing the mindset of the FAA. I think the president made poor judgement in appointing Mr. Babbitt. On his watch, things don't look too good.

On Channel 7 News last night the relatives of the families members lost in the Flight 3407, stated their frustrations and appealed to the "people" they are reaching out to the public to help in their quest.

OUr hearts are with the people of flight 3407.

The decision was in, it was piloting that caused Flight 3407's fatal stall. Although everyone knew, it took them an entire year to make that final determination.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    The decision was in, it was piloting that caused Flight 3407's fatal stall. Although everyone knew, it took them an entire year to make that final determination.
    The NTSB does a very thorough job in order to properly identify the causes of an aircraft crash. People can speculate all that they want but until every thing is reviewed you can't know for sure. It's not uncommon for an accident report to take a full year before findings can be determined. They need to layout the plane, examine the weather, review the voice and flight recordings. I'm sure it's alot of information to go through and I wouldn't want them to jump to any conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by OutsidetheBox View Post
    The NTSB does a very thorough job in order to properly identify the causes of an aircraft crash. People can speculate all that they want but until every thing is reviewed you can't know for sure. It's not uncommon for an accident report to take a full year before findings can be determined. They need to layout the plane, examine the weather, review the voice and flight recordings. I'm sure it's alot of information to go through and I wouldn't want them to jump to any conclusions.
    I do agree with you on the determination ~~timeline. It is best to be completely sure. I believe the NTSB should oversee the FAA. I have thought that for years. The FAA needs oversight now, their relationship with the industry is becoming to cozy and it is affecting regulations that meet today's situations. FAA needs to adjust, their "recommendations" are just that, what needs to be applied is "requirement" to certain situations that are deemed "safe."

The guy from the national NBC affiliate (forgot his name) said that if the pilot didn't do anything at all, the problem would have likely corrected itself. Instead, he pulled up and caused the crash.

That's crazy to think if they had just left it alone they would have never crashed.
    1 Corinthians 13:1 "If I speak in the languages of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal."

Quote Originally Posted by Bannister View Post
    The guy from the national NBC affiliate (forgot his name) said that if the pilot didn't do anything at all, the problem would have likely corrected itself. Instead, he pulled up and caused the crash.

That's crazy to think if they had just left it alone they would have never crashed.
    I don't know how much credence I'd put into that statement. If a stall is coming, and you don't throttle up/raise gear/close flaps/nose down; it ain't gonna fix itself. You'll end up nose down, right for the dirt.
    Raptor Jesus: He went extinct for your sins.

Quote Originally Posted by Bannister View Post

It is so sad, but I guess we don't know if that would be the case or not. All I know is that crash should not have happened.

"Creating a safer industry means looking at all the reasons why this tragedy occurred and taking aggressive action to ensure nothing similar happens again."

Capt. John H. Prater, president, Air Line Pilots Association

I like the way Colgan seemed to get off on a lot of things. Pilots are hired and trained by them and rules are supposed to be enforced by them. It seems to me alot of the problems are being swept under the carpet.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisMulqueen View Post
    I like the way Colgan seemed to get off on a lot of things. Pilots are hired and trained by them and rules are supposed to be enforced by them. It seems to me alot of the problems are being swept under the carpet.
    Exactly, this swinging door policy is truly the problem. Pilots then becoming FAA officials. The industry has a hold on this. Unfortunately, for them though they are getting bad publicity.

From the New York Daily News-
    Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) said he will press for requiring pilots to log 1,500 hours of flight time to get a commercial pilot's license. Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) said she will sponsor a Flight 3407 Memorial Act to make NTSB safety recommendations mandatory.

I'm beginning to like our Senator Gillibrand.

Georgia L Schlager

Letter from Kathy Johnston

Who lost her husband in the crash Flight 3407. This is so heartfelt and sad. Also view the website presented in the letter and watch the slide show.
    Kathy did express that she wanted to share this letter.

Dear Friends,
    You have all shown your concern and support in what’s going on in
    regards to the crash, so I wanted to let you know that there will be a
    “Frontline” special upcoming that will cover the Flight 3407 tragedy
    and the ensuing investigative report. This documentary is scheduled to
    be broadcast nationally on Tuesday, February 9th at 9 pm on PBS TV
    (WNED locally).
    Also, I wanted to inform you that despite the personal
    efforts of the Families of Flight 3407, there is a concern that the
    proposed changes in legislation to improve aviation safety standards
    (designed to address the causes of the crash and to prevent future
    crashes), are losing momentum and may not be passed by our
    representatives in Washington. This is disheartening to us, as we have
    been relentless in our fight to honor our loved ones by bringing
    awareness to the outstanding safety issues and helping to make air
    travel safer for the flying public. Captain Sullenburg and his
    co-pilot, Jeff Skiles, from “Miracle on the Hudson” flight have both
    been vocal in their support for these exact changes; we believe these
    two individuals to be reliable experts on what reforms in aviation
    safety measures are necessary.
    The Families of Flight 3407 may soon call upon friends
    and contacts for your help in emailing a message to your Senators and
    Congressmen, stating your support for these changes. So, if you can,
    please watch this Frontline segment, entitled “Flying Cheap”, so that
    you can make an informed decision regarding your support or non-support
    of these new laws. I believe the content of this program would be of
    interest to everyone…but especially to those who fly.
    Finally, for further information and updates on
    progress in Washington, and the stories of those who died, I encourage
    you to check out the family public website: http://www.3407memorial.com.
    Thank you to all you for your continued thoughts and support,
    Kathy ""

Everyone needs to read this letter.

"Frontline" tonight on WNED-TV 9:00

Everyone should watch this tonight. The real storyline behind Flight 3407

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Everyone should watch this tonight. The real storyline behind Flight 3407
    I was just going to post the same thing. I will watch it. Tomorrow morning, a former Colgan Air employee will be on WBFO's NPR morning addition to discuss lax training at Colgan.

Porch Lights on Friday Night.

Thread Information