Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $9 Million Budget Deficit

$9 Million Budget Deficit

How can the Town fill a $9 million budget gap and NOT raise taxes? I am sure the gap is no surprise because I am sure the Town Board did their due diligence when they were running for office and making promises. The Supervisor was involved in the current budget as was Manna and Marlette. Using the surplus to fill the gap over the last few years is incredibly short sighted. Grelick had modest increases in budgets without using surplus (or using a very small amount and getting smaller each budget year). Why not bring her in as a consultant to see how she was able to do this? She did this for EIGHT YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wasn't the Contrroller paid an extra $10,000 to do the budget as Budget Officer? The question is.....Why would she build a budget that used the surplus, and then turn around and tell the Board they are in trouble? She's no hero...just somehow trying to cover for herself in the public mind. Rumore is she is a legend in her own mind!

If you think about it, Darlene is an "Advisor." The Town Board has the power. The Town Board states what they want to do and Darlene tells them the ramification, pros/cons over the financial impact of what they want to do. Now... they can choose to continue, even though Darlene has "advised" them against it, because of what ever the reason. She has "no veto" power.
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit Of All That Threaten It
    What if the Hokey-Pokey IS what it's all about?

Smiley! One of these days I'll stop by with coffee.

Didn't they raise all the assessments in Williamsville and Amherst to get the extra ransom?
    Kiss someone that's different. It helps.
    Lets get the facts first, then go for the jugular!!
    It's all transparent, just read between the lines..

Quote Originally Posted by interested View Post
    Grelick had modest increases in budgets without using surplus (or using a very small amount and getting smaller each budget year). Why not bring her in as a consultant to see how she was able to do this? She did this for EIGHT YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Grelick is one of the main reasons why the town is in the condition it is (along with Mohan). Not only did she sign huge union contracts which has devasted the budget (not her budget of course because the true ramnifications of those contracts have only recently come to light) as well as her large bonding several projects (glenn park bridge for example which again doesn't necessarily alter her budget but hampers budgets in the several years that follow) .

Having a nine million dollar gap doesn't happen overnight and it was the past practices of the two prior supervisors that are to blame as anybody.

Can anyone tell me why the town ever agreed to pay the Police pension's based on their last year and not the average of the last 3?? We had to pay over $1,000,000 just to make up for this!
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

You need to discuss this with the Personnel Director-R. McCarthy. This was negotiated in the contract.

Quote Originally Posted by hate politics View Post
    Grelick is one of the main reasons why the town is in the condition it is (along with Mohan). Not only did she sign huge union contracts which has devasted the budget (not her budget of course because the true ramnifications of those contracts have only recently come to light) as well as her large bonding several projects (glenn park bridge for example which again doesn't necessarily alter her budget but hampers budgets in the several years that follow) .

Having a nine million dollar gap doesn't happen overnight and it was the past practices of the two prior supervisors that are to blame as anybody.
    \

There you go talking real stupid once again. Grelick may have been Supervisor, but the town had a Republican Majority. Any problems caused in the town of Amherst has been caused by Republicans voting in the majority on every single decision that required a vote.

Mohan was a Republican with a Republican majority during his tenure. The Republicans kept themselves in power by refusing to allow Debbie Bucki's seat be filled during his last year. They blocked everything he wanted. Any problems caused in the town of Amherst has been caused by Republicans voting in the majority on every single decision that required a vote.

Fact are facts - Amherst is Republican Town run by Republican Town Board majorities for, quite possibly, 148 years out of the last 150 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fact Checker View Post
    \

There you go talking real stupid once again. Grelick may have been Supervisor, but the town had a Republican Majority. Any problems caused in the town of Amherst has been caused by Republicans voting in the majority on every single decision that required a vote.

Mohan was a Republican with a Republican majority during his tenure. The Republicans kept themselves in power by refusing to allow Debbie Bucki's seat be filled during his last year. They blocked everything he wanted. Any problems caused in the town of Amherst has been caused by Republicans voting in the majority on every single decision that required a vote.

Fact are facts - Amherst is Republican Town run by Republican Town Board majorities for, quite possibly, 148 years out of the last 150 years.
    This is true. Grelick was the most responsible supervisor in recent times. Mohan did what he wanted and it didn't need to make sense to anyone but him. Don't blame Carroll for his budgets. She warned him

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Smiley! One of these days I'll stop by with coffee.

That'll be great! I do have the coffee though...

The last time I looked at my Town/County tax bill, the state mandated - county portion of that bill was double my town tax bill. I do not know how you can do a constant 0 increase budget when Senior Ctrs, rec ctrs, libraries, youth ctrs, ice rinks, soccer fields, etc, etc have to be manned and maintained. Someone mentioned high employee contracts. Outside of maybe the police contract, where is the justification of high contracts? As stated recently in the "News". many employees have been w/o contracts from 1/1/2-3 yrs. Prior to the former TS taking office, this town's employees went to one HMO plan whereas many muncipalities, county, state, etc. are just now trying to negotiate the same. In fact the "News" recently released the Town of Tonawanda contract which allows their employees to retain Blue Cross/Shield (a premium plan) and for that they gave them a raise plus health insurance for life after 15 yrs of employment. So mismanagement is more the problem than anything in this Town. Remember people have been complaining about the reassessment situation for residential properties. Well for close to 4 yrs. commercial properties were also not reassessed and much revenue was probably lost each of those years.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    That'll be great! I do have the coffee though...
    Did you think I didn't know that??

Wonder when the "study" showing the $9 million deficit will be released to the public so we can know what it is really based upon. Seems that deficits appear when someone wants to get rid of popular services the public still wants.

The Town Board needs to start questioning authority and not be sold a bill of goods anymore. Their lack of experience is showing.

East of Millersport and now on Facebook at facebook.com/absolivious
    Quote Originally Posted by Add It Up View Post
    Wonder when the "study" showing the $9 million deficit will be released to the public so we can know what it is really based upon. Seems that deficits appear when someone wants to get rid of popular services the public still wants.

The Town Board needs to start questioning authority and not be sold a bill of goods anymore. Their lack of experience is showing.
    Guranteed the study will show the #1 reason is that Tier I retirees are outliving the lifespans that were projected at the time their contracts were negotiated. Add to this the fact that the funding source for CSEA guaranteed retirement incomes is the same sagging market that funds my 401k.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Did you think I didn't know that??
    You knew that???? I know you did.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information