Thread: People of lancaster?

Tony Fracasso - Admin

People of lancaster?

How much is your garbage fee per household?

There are some people looking into going private in Cheektowaga.

T

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    How much is your garbage fee per household?

There are some people looking into going private in Cheektowaga.

T
    $177 per household

Go to the Town of Lancaster website for details on their contract: https://www.lancasterny.gov/

Very satisfied with our waste management service!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Thank you!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post

Very satisfied with our waste management service!
    Cost up 33% in 10 years. Level of service is way down. Entire streets or neighbors get skipped. If you call the town, you're told to call WM. If you call WM, they tell you to call the town. We've had the truck fly by at 6:30 before most houses have their cans out. The SLA states 7am. WM doesn't care. We've seen a truck leave after being full and just never return to finish the street. Bulk day is now a joke. I've witnessed a guy counting items and deciding that there were too many and just telling the truck to keep moving. I've found the best way to get the truck to stop on bulk day is to check the mailbox, just as the truck is approaching. We've seen the garbage and recycling go into the same truck numerous times.

The garbage service used to be fantastic in Lancaster.

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    Cost up 33% in 10 years. Level of service is way down. Entire streets or neighbors get skipped. If you call the town, you're told to call WM. If you call WM, they tell you to call the town. We've had the truck fly by at 6:30 before most houses have their cans out. The SLA states 7am. WM doesn't care. We've seen a truck leave after being full and just never return to finish the street. Bulk day is now a joke. I've witnessed a guy counting items and deciding that there were too many and just telling the truck to keep moving. I've found the best way to get the truck to stop on bulk day is to check the mailbox, just as the truck is approaching. We've seen the garbage and recycling go into the same truck numerous times.

The garbage service used to be fantastic in Lancaster.
    Based on my own recent experiences, I tend to agree with your entire comment, especially those regarding the large/bulk service.

However, I must say I did not let drop my specific issue, but I stubbornly pursued it with the town. To her very great credit, Council Member Schroeder promptly intervened. The result was immediate corrective action from WM.

Schroeder's efforts were very reflective of a responsive Town Board, IMHO.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    Bulk day is now a joke. I've witnessed a guy counting items and deciding that there were too many and just telling the truck to keep moving.
    YUP!!!

A couple of years back, I threw-out an old dresser with three drawers. To make it easier for the crew to handle, I removed the three drawers and placed them on top of the empty cabinet.

Silly Mark.

To my dismay, the attendant took the three drawers and left the cabinet behind. That was apparently a cute and clever maneuver to prevent the attendant's over-exertion.

I was not favorably impressed with WM's prioritization.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Mark / Yaksplat

Thank you for sharing. It is important to have feedback so that issues can be mitigated. I was surprised to read of your service issues as my townhouse community experiences no like issues. It did when the contract with Waste Management changed (in 2019, I believe) and new regulations were imposed. We use the smaller 69-gallon totes (waste & recycle) and have no issue with being undersized.

Unit owners learned early on that bulk pickup takes place once a month, and three items means three items. More items mean you pay an extra pickup fee – especially during renovations / updates. You pay, not all the taxpayers for your trash pickup. People spend mucho dollars for construction changes and then complain about trash removal costs.

Our waste pickups do occur sometimes before 7 am. All totes are placed for pick up the previous evening to avoid missed pickups.

In speaking to an individual in the town involved with Waste Management, fortunately missed pickup complaints are rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Mark / Yaksplat

Thank you for sharing. It is important to have feedback so that issues can be mitigated. I was surprised to read of your service issues as my townhouse community experiences no like issues.
    Lee,

When WM was contracted, the motivating issue appeared to be the rat problem. The totes were to remedy that problem because the rats could no loner access food scraps.

I understand some of the WM's purported bulk pick-up missteps have resulted in people storing such items, ie, stuffed chairs, for months. Rats not only search for food, but for places to nest.

No potential rat problem there, eh?

I made the mistake of cutting a pallet into 4 manageable pieces. They took zero. When I called WM about it, i was told 3 items. A month later those four pieces were nailed to another pallet, so it only counted as one item. When I have larger quantities of bulk items, I spread them to my neighbors. It's really quite dumb. It's wasting more of their time to pick up the same quantity at 5 houses than just at one.

Just imagine if every resident put out 3 pallets.

I believe TOL Councilperson Schroeder is the person to contact.

I have heard from a couple of local people that she will get results. I think she has said she would hold Waste Management's feet to the the fire and look into the contract agreement before the next one is signed. I think anytime a VOL Trustee or a Town Councilperson is willing to be involved enough with their contractors to convince them to deliver a fair product or service is a duty that they accept with being elected.

Kudos to Councilperson Schroeder for taking that position.

The TOL Board has been humming along smoothly lately as far as I can tell.

The VOL, not so much when you really compare the two. In the VOL there seems to be an awful lot of political intrigue and possible change in the air with different coalitions quickly being thrown together to help decide the outcome of the special election which was against all odds ended in a TIE! The new election is looming.

In TOL the Leary administration seems to be available to the public and easy to deal with. The TOL Board has taken on a clearly much more open and transparent posture while in the VOL the feet dragging of the Mayor to open up the shades of the peoples house is obvious.

A Tale of Two Cities

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I see the complaints you posted. If the complaints were non existent but you were charged let's say ~$350 a year versus $177 would you be happier? The ~$350 is what I'm currently charged. It seems in Cheektowaga people's trash fees are based on the assessment of their property.

I understand the Cons/Republican are supporting Pat Chludzinski (sp?). He is someone who will present a stiff challenge to Monica Wallace this cycle in her re-election campaign. His approach will be one that will look at all places to save his fellow citizens dollars toward their own budgets. As a local Police Officer who still is serving and will retire, if elected. After a long career walking and patrolling streets of those Cheektowaga neighborhoods he now wishes to continue serving as their elected Represenative. A far cry from what they don't get from the Monica Wallace regime. The over-cost of your fees are a valid issue and one I believe he WILL gladly take on.

Monica Wallace's office is staffed by many who presently sit in the Lancaster Dem Party seats of leadership. Her impact in Lancaster is almost nil because of a cadre of concerned Con/Reps who can beat her every time at the ballot box. Her only real base is in the Cheektowaga section of her district. That voting base will finally be able to vote for a real caring, neighborhood knowledgable friendly person who has local town interest and complaints at the front of his focus. If they come out for him a clear message will be sent and she will be finished pushing the Far Left Progressive wish list and desires.

Lancaster's Town Leadership seems to be an example to surrounding communities of what a change of the old Dems way of doing things to a more open operation designed to put the local tax payers and residents ahead of their own personal agendas. A ringing example is the brave move by the present Town of Lancaster Board to stand tall against a barrage of cannon fire from numerous Developers and vote YES on an one year moratorium on the building of any large housing developments. This was done to take a deep dive searching into all the past problems and unintended outcomes that have effected everything from flooding to houses sinking to people being notified they are responsible for management of the flood control ponds in their backyards.

Cheektowaga can start the same procedure there by sending the do nothing Wallace down the road
    Last edited by GroundControl; Yesterday at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GroundControl View Post
    In the VOL there seems to be an awful lot of political intrigue and possible change in the air with different coalitions quickly being thrown together to help decide the outcome of the special election which was against all odds ended in a TIE!
    If there was any dark intrigue to the "TIE" outcome of the late special election, it most probably resided in the world of the unintentional, or even more likely, the bizarre; "Jack Palance from 'Ripley's Believe It, Or Not' on line one."

As I see it, even the most skilled practitioner of ballot management could not have possibly possessed the extensive talent that would be required to so precisely affect such an outcome.

Ergo, if there was any such "coalition," it was one most probably inadvertent; a by-chance fusing of two separate groups protesting the Ruda agenda. Such a "coalition" may be compared to the concurrent soundings of two separate fire bells, which were haphazardly synchronized into one loud siren; a clarion call to end the Ruda experiment.

What the March 19 results portends for the Run-Off on April 9, no one truly knows. My best guess is that the Schroeder and the write-in voters will now coalesce into a single, clear voice, and reject Santoro, who by every measure I can glean, enjoys Ruda's full support.

Schroeder now has an opportunity to take a page out of the Town Board's playbook: be vocal in support of serving the needs of the residents, shun the undue influence of the developers, carry high the banner of transparency, and answer your constituents questions respectfully, forthrightly, and honestly, even if your answer is sometimes "No."
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; Yesterday at 11:04 PM.

Thread Information