Page 43 of 274 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast

Thread: Had enough yet

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    As I said, the law needs to face further legal scrutiny. That is what I meant when I commented:
    I doubt there will be further judicial review on this issue during this administration as we now have the supporters/like minded people of the plaintiff's in those lawsuits in charge of the Executive Branch.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren View Post
    I doubt there will be further judicial review on this issue during this administration as we now have the supporters/like minded people of the plaintiff's in those lawsuits in charge of the Executive Branch.
    This administration has not been overly skillful in applying its DOJ talents. So, let's wait and see.

But, hopefully, Congress will finally do its freakin' job and address the issue comprehensively. After all, Congressional action was Obama's first choice to confront the issue. To wit, the first word of the acronym "DACA" is "Differed." (Intended to mean until Congress acts.)

Exactly sir.

But, hopefully, Congress will finally do its freakin' job and address the issue comprehensively. After all, that Congressional action was Obama's first choice, ergo, the first word of the acronym "DACA" is "Differed."
    I doubt that as long as the Republicans are in control of Congress. Hopefully, change (or the fear of it) will prevail in 2018. They still have not made the transition from being the obstructionists to the governing party yet.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

obstructionists
    The Democrats have that down to an art.

to the governing party yet.
    No, the Republicans are just the feckless party.

The Democrats have that down to an art.

No, the Republicans are just the feckless party.
    The Republicans were required to part of any solution for the last 6 years and decided not to be. Now they do not need Democrats to carry out anything and they still refuse to put forward any solution on any issue.

Now they do not need Democrats to carry out anything and they still refuse to put forward any solution on any issue.

Yep, they turn my stomach. Trump ain't perfect by any means, but I strongly prefer him to Ryan and McConnell (Senate filibuster rule aside), who both suck.

Despite all your case law citations D.T., written in slippery slope jargon to allow myriad interpretations, it all boils down to hysteria over something (deportation of 800,000 Dreamers) that will never happen (and should not happen) – IMO.

And, Congress never officially enacted a law to define DACA in any way. Mr. ‘phone and pen in hand’ by Executive Order set what is now in place. And that seems to fit your approval which is strange because you have difficulty in understanding why Trump should not have the ability to exercise the same privilege – better yet, to turn the matter over the Legislative branch where it belongs.

If Congress can’t come together in six months to legislate a bill that would appropriately deal with the matter it is because, in truth, both sides suck and continue to act as one in further dividing and destroying this country according to their best interests and that of their donor/voter base.

I will not speak for Mark B. but it seems we take a position that lays the blame for the ****-storm that is occurring on both sides. You appear to be more defensive of the left as exemplified by your labeling conservatives only as ‘obstructionists’. When Mark B. wrote this, I bet you laughed your ass off: “The President has stated his affection for the "Dreamers" and would like to see their rights legislatively protected, and their dreams fulfilled.”

The Republicans can be blamed for playing the obstruction game as soon as Obama took office. But the DEMS have honed the resist movement to the point of ridiculousness.

Lastly, with the catastrophic storms impacting America, a nuclear threat of war at hand, a failed health care solution, the hysteria over DACA and the charge made that the rights and well being of illegal immigrants is equal to that of American citizens is offensive to some of us deplorables; deplorables who dare to express an opinion that is not in agreement with the politically correct, elitist, tolerant left speech police.

Yes, Virginia, they all suck!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Despite all your case law citations D.T., written in slippery slope jargon to allow myriad interpretations, it all boils down to hysteria over something (deportation of 800,000 Dreamers) that will never happen (and should not happen) – IMO.

And, Congress never officially enacted a law to define DACA in any way. Mr. ‘phone and pen in hand’ by Executive Order set what is now in place. And that seems to fit your approval which is strange because you have difficulty in understanding why Trump should not have the ability to exercise the same privilege – better yet, to turn the matter over the Legislative branch where it belongs.

If Congress can’t come together in six months to legislate a bill that would appropriately deal with the matter it is because, in truth, both sides suck and continue to act as one in further dividing and destroying this country according to their best interests and that of their donor/voter base.

I will not speak for Mark B. but it seems we take a position that lays the blame for the ****-storm that is occurring on both sides. You appear to be more defensive of the left as exemplified by your labeling conservatives only as ‘obstructionists’. When Mark B. wrote this, I bet you laughed your ass off: “The President has stated his affection for the "Dreamers" and would like to see their rights legislatively protected, and their dreams fulfilled.”

The Republicans can be blamed for playing the obstruction game as soon as Obama took office. But the DEMS have honed the resist movement to the point of ridiculousness.

Lastly, with the catastrophic storms impacting America, a nuclear threat of war at hand, a failed health care solution, the hysteria over DACA and the charge made that the rights and well being of illegal immigrants is equal to that of American citizens is offensive to some of us deplorables; deplorables who dare to express an opinion that is not in agreement with the politically correct, elitist, tolerant left speech police.

Yes, Virginia, they all suck!
    Well said. Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post

However, until Congress repeals the broad grant of discretion it rests with the Executive Branch. This has been so since this section was enacted in 2002 under President Bush as passed by a Republican controlled Congress. In fact even prior to this codification the INA was interpreted to give the Executive Branch broad discretion in this area.

In the past, the Department of Homeland Security and the INS have granted deferred action to different groups of noncitizens present in the United States. In 1977, the Attorney General granted stays of removal to 250,000 nationals of certain countries (known as "Silva Letterholders"). Silva v. Levi, No. 76-C4268 (N.D. Ill. 1977), modified on other grounds sub nom. Silva v. Bell, 605 F.2d 978 (7th Cir.1979). In 1990 under President Bush, the INS instituted the "Family Fairness" program that deferred the deportation of 1.5 million family members of noncitizens who were legalized through the Immigration Reform and Control Act. See Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, Pub. L. No. 99-603, 100 Stat. 3359; Memorandum for Regional Commissioners, INS, from Gene McNary, Commissioner, INS, "Family Fairness: Guidelines for Voluntary Departure under 8 CFR 242.5 for the Ineligible Spouses and Children of Legalized Aliens" (Feb. 2, 1990). In 1992, President Bush directed the Attorney General to grant deferred enforced departure to 190,000 Salvadorans. See Immigration Act of 1990 § 303, Public Law 101-649 (Nov. 29, 1990); https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-199...l/94-30088.htm. And nationals of Liberia were granted deferred enforced departure until September 30, 2016, http://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/te...rced-departure.

All of these acts are on the same legal footing. You can't bitch and moan that Obama acted illegally and without Congressional authority or imprimatur when he exercised the same discretion that prior Democratic and Republican Presidents did without being a hypocrite. You may not like this broad discretion and that is your right, but at least be intellectually honest about it - Obama did not need Congress for DACA or any other deferral policy just like prior presidents did not need it when they implemented their respective policies and arguing that he did is not being intellectually honest.

President Trump exercised his discretion in changing this policy, whether it was wise or not only time will tell.

[QUOTE]
    However, until Congress repeals the broad grant of discretion it rests with the Executive Branch. This has been so since this section was enacted in 2002 under President Bush as passed by a Republican controlled Congress. In fact even prior to this codification the INA was interpreted to give the Executive Branch broad discretion in this area.

In the past, the Department of Homeland Security and the INS have granted deferred action to different groups of noncitizens present in the United States. In 1977, the Attorney General granted stays of removal to 250,000 nationals of certain countries (known as "Silva Letterholders"). Silva v. Levi, No. 76-C4268 (N.D. Ill. 1977), modified on other grounds sub nom. Silva v. Bell, 605 F.2d 978 (7th Cir.1979). In 1990 under President Bush, the INS instituted the "Family Fairness" program that deferred the deportation of 1.5 million family members of noncitizens who were legalized through the Immigration Reform and Control Act. See Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, Pub. L. No. 99-603, 100 Stat. 3359; Memorandum for Regional Commissioners, INS, from Gene McNary, Commissioner, INS, "Family Fairness: Guidelines for Voluntary Departure under 8 CFR 242.5 for the Ineligible Spouses and Children of Legalized Aliens" (Feb. 2, 1990). In 1992, President Bush directed the Attorney General to grant deferred enforced departure to 190,000 Salvadorans. See Immigration Act of 1990 § 303, Public Law 101-649 (Nov. 29, 1990); https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-199...l/94-30088.htm. And nationals of Liberia were granted deferred enforced departure until September 30, 2016, http://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/te...rced-departure.

All of these acts are on the same legal footing. You can't bitch and moan that Obama acted illegally and without Congressional authority or imprimatur when he exercised the same discretion that prior Democratic and Republican Presidents did without being a hypocrite. You may not like this broad discretion and that is your right, but at least be intellectually honest about it - Obama did not need Congress for DACA or any other deferral policy just like prior presidents did not need it when they implemented their respective policies and arguing that he did is not being intellectually honest.

President Trump exercised his discretion in changing this policy, whether it was wise or not only time will tell.[/QUOTE
    Mr. Justice Warren, your holdings demonstrate your dedicated command of McKinney's Citations, the Congressional Record, and the Federal Registry. Very impressive, and very nice, but bear in mind that the "DACA" now appears to reside exclusively in the political world.

President Trump has properly asked Congress to act. (I note parenthetically, Obama himself, prior to his fiat, seemingly observed that Congressional action to address the broad issue of immigration was necessary when he said: "I can't do it myself.")

As such, arguments supporting or opposing the Obama "DACA" fiat seem rather celebratory and pointless.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; September 7th, 2017 at 10:07 AM.

As such, arguments supporting or opposing the Obama "DACA" fiat seem rather celebratory and pointless.
    Ironically enough they are not celebratory or pointless, in fact the Trump administration is using very similar arguments to defend his EOs on Immigration.

Ironically enough they are not celebratory or pointless, in fact the Trump administration is using very similar arguments to defend his EOs on Immigration.
    Mr. W.,

I am saying that Presidential and Congressional governance, at LEAST, since 1988, have been cyclical compendiums of recriminations, "gotch ya" moments, vengeful pissing contests, and obstructionist tactics, all manipulated to serve partisan purposes, and applied contrary to the broad interests of America.

Without reference to DHS Regulations, Executive Orders (dinner, lunch, or otherwise), case law, legal precedents, Presidential discretion, or "As Seen On TV" commercial product warranties, blah, blah..., I am of the opinion that Trump has asked Congress to act. For a change, let's stop the retro-finger pointing, let's all move on, and let Congress act. EEEK!

Yep, they turn my stomach. Trump ain't perfect by any means, but I strongly prefer him to Ryan and McConnell (Senate filibuster rule aside), who both suck.
    Well I guess we get to see how Democrats screwed their municipalities when pension time bombs start exploding.

Frankly that party is just downright short sighted and lacking in intelligence. Look at NJ, and especially CT.

Vote Democrat if you just want to keep spending money you don't have.

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    Well I guess we get to see how Democrats screwed their municipalities when pension time bombs start exploding.

Frankly that party is just downright short sighted and lacking in intelligence. Look at NJ, and especially CT.

Vote Democrat if you just want to keep spending money you don't have.
    Trump is as close to an "Independent" candidate that America has ever had. He is getting screwed from both sides, which supports my theory that he is on the right track.

Trump is as close to an "Independent" candidate that America has ever had. He is getting screwed from both sides, which supports my theory that he is on the right track.
    I agree, because he tells it like it is,, and the crybaby liberals just don't want to hear it....

The left won't be happy until we have granted everyone in the World US citizenship and have expanded every government program known to man while having somebody else generation upon generation unborn pay for it.
    They will be the ruin of this country.

Thread Information