Quote Originally Posted by DelawareDistrict
Why wouldn't parents be able to find a school? Competition would spur the growth of schools. There are schools in some parts of our country now educating students at a cost of about $3000 per year per student and doing a better job than the NYS public schools which receive over $14,000 per year per student. Nichols School manages to educate students at roughly the same cost with an average of 14 students per classroom; Comprehensive tuitions for 2006-2007:
Grade 5: $14,800
Grades 6-8: $14,950
Grade 9: $15,850
Grades 10-12: $16,000

When you compare Nichols costs and results to Public Schools, the results of Public Schools are unacceptable.

As far as special needs children go, I have heard many complaints about the way the public schools handle them. Many schools lump developmentally disabled students in classes with students with disciplinary problems.

The simple fact is the teachers unions, through lobbying efforts, have managed to keep any real reform from happening in NYS. Charter Schools are a good beginning, however NYS has recently capped the number of Charters in the State. Eliminating and limiting competition is a loss for everyone. Choice leads to a better product/service.

I don't understand how anyone can defend the current system. The system doesn't work and the costs keep spiraling out of control. The only possible explanation that I can fathom is that people are so used to the current system and so resistant to change, that they are blind to the reality of the situation.

Perfect post. I think this thread should end on this.