Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Democrats attack Black Republican Candidate

Thumbs down Democrats attack Black Republican Candidate

Steele shrugs off foe's attacks
    By S.A. Miller and Jon Ward
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES
    Published October 24, 2006

Maryland Lt. Gov. Michael S. Steele said yesterday that Democratic attacks on his U.S. Senate candidacy have not hurt him but have sparked interest in his status as a black Republican.
    "I hear it from people who come up to me who are angry themselves. They are sick of it. They are tired of it. It's like, 'Why are they coming after you?' " Mr. Steele told editors and reporters at The Washington Times.
    "The commercials that they have run have really not resonated the way I think they thought they would. It is not scaring people away from me. In fact, it is actually drawing them to pay closer attention," he said.
    Mr. Steele expressed support for full congressional voting rights for the District, discussed how his Catholic faith informs his politics and said he expects to win "20 to 25 percent" of the black vote in next month's election.
    He also said that he expects some white voters, including Republicans, will not vote for him because he is black.
    "We have factored in in our numbers a percentage drop-off. I'm not silly," Mr. Steele said. "Is it a concern? Sure it is -- like anything.
    "Will it be a factor in this race? Absolutely it will. You have to go into this race with your eyes wide open. You can't sit back and pretend that everybody is going to love you and just vote for you because you are a member of their party or you hold their values."
    He said that all he can do to counter such attitudes is to "just get in your face."
    Mr. Steele's Democratic opponent -- Rep. Benjamin L. Cardin -- has declined an invitation to be interviewed at The Times.
    The Cardin campaign has focused on tying Mr. Steele to President Bush as part of a Democratic strategy to dampen the lieutenant governor's appeal among blacks.
    Blacks account for about 40 percent of registered Democrats in Maryland, where Democrats outnumber Republicans 2-to-1.
    A poll targeted at black voters, which was released yesterday by Ariel & Ethan LLC in the political journal Hotline, showed Mr. Steele with 12 percent of the black vote; 23 percent were undecided.
    The poll of 400 black registered voters was conducted from Oct. 11 to 13 and has a margin of error of 4.9 percentage points.
    A Baltimore Sun poll showed Mr. Steele with 23 percent of the black vote; Survey USA has shown him gaining as much as 33 percent of the black vote; and an internal Democratic poll in March showed Mr. Steele with 16 percent.
    "We don't need polls to tell us that a large majority of African-Americans are frustrated with President Bush and the direction he's taking our nation," Cardin campaign spokesman Oren Shur said. "Michael Steele will support the same failed Bush policies, and everyone knows it."
    The internal Democratic poll also identified 44 percent of black voters as undecided, calling the bloc an "emerging black swing vote."
    Mr. Steele acknowledged there is still a large segment of black voters who are undecided or conflicted about voting for him because he is a Republican.
    "I've just got to keep doing what I'm doing. Whatever I've been doing has gotten me to 46-46 [percent in the polls], so I keep doing that," he said, referring to a recent poll by Survey USA that showed the race to be a dead heat.
    Mr. Steele, who was raised in the District and lives in Prince George's County, said he supports D.C. voting rights.
    "I think it's very important for the citizens of that community to have full representation. I just do," he said.
    Mr. Steele also reiterated that he is a "pro-life Roman Catholic" on abortion, and that although he supports stem-cell research, he does not support such research that destroys human embryos.
    However, he said he would not require a "litmus test" of nominees to federal judgeships, saying such tactics do a "disservice" to the nominees and the advise-and-consent process of the U.S. Senate.
    "I have no litmus test," he said, "nor should anyone."
    In addition, Mr. Steele said he prefers that the states settle the issue of same-sex "marriage," but "should it come to the federal level, then, yes, I would support" a ban on such "marriages."
    In 2002, Mr. Steele became the first black to win a statewide election in Maryland, as the running mate of Robert L. Ehrlich Jr., who became the state's first Republican governor in more than 30 years.
    Yesterday, Mr. Steele said that he will win his Senate race and that Mr. Ehrlich will win his re-election bid against the Democratic nominee, Baltimore Mayor Martin O'Malley. Mr. Steele said "there is no reason" for Maryland voters to "fire" Mr. Ehrlich.

Meanwhile, the press continues to go ga-ga over Barak Osama.

Who hasn't accomplished anything.

Who's an accidental Senator: the front-running Democrat imploded when court records revealed he beat his wife.

But Steele----a Black who has won statewide office in Maryland---is hardly mentioned in the national press because he made the mistake of being a Black Republican.
    Truth springs from argument among friends.

Quote Originally Posted by biker
    Meanwhile, the press continues to go ga-ga over Barak Osama.
    Barak is the nightmare of every die-hard conservative like youm isn't he?

First of all, you like to call him "Osama" as if he has some kind of Middle Eastern connection. Good way to try to malign the guy.

Second of all he's half-black. Maybe light-skinned enough to become our first black President. Sends chills down your spine, don't it?

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    Barak is the nightmare of every die-hard conservative like youm isn't he?

First of all, you like to call him "Osama" as if he has some kind of Middle Eastern connection. Good way to try to malign the guy.

Second of all he's half-black. Maybe light-skinned enough to become our first black President. Sends chills down your spine, don't it?
    "Maligning"? Moi?

I'm just following Teddy Kennedy's pronunciation lead.

BTW-The country would be much better off with Thomas Sowell as the first Black President.

A Black man with a brain.

Sends chills down your spine, don't it? (sic)

"Maligning"? Moi?

I'm just following Teddy Kennedy's pronunciation lead.
    Why don't you go drive a long car off a short bridge?

I avoid cars at all costs.

Not a Sowell fan, huh.

Such sour grapes.

Why don't you go drive a long car off a short bridge?
    Said Father Kennedy to his son Teddy.

Anyone who reads these boards will understand there is not so much brotherly love in WNY. You might as well call it wnyjerks.com

To Mr. Steele. I am pretty impressed with this guy. Deleware is a state to recon with, and leads the board in many positive stats. I wish him luck. Obama is pushed hard by the DNC Puppet Masters and everything he does is scripted for him. Steele on the other hand, appears 10X more confidant and truly is a better candidate.
    Activity + Opportunity = Success

Quote Originally Posted by LHardy
    Said Father Kennedy to his son Teddy.
    Bah da boom!

I avoid cars at all costs.

Not a Sowell fan, huh.

Such sour grapes.
    Do you even know what the term "sour grapes" means?

You're assuming that, because, I did not address Sowell, that I don't like him. You are also assuming that, I should like him, simply because he is black, and I'm a Lib.

You are such a simple man, Biker. I envy your simple life, sometimes. Ignorance must be bliss.

For what it's worth - I must not be as well-read as you, because I know nothing about this Sowell guy. I've heard of him, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1964
    Anyone who reads these boards will understand there is not so much brotherly love in WNY. You might as well call it wnyjerks.com.
    Pas du tout.

I am a cheerful warrior, willing to cross swords with the libs at each and every opportunity.

Sometimes I forget to retain my famous sense of humor and begin to treat these misguided children seriously.

But as the good folks say, "Love the sinner; hate the sin."

But as the good folks say, "Love the sinner; hate the sin."
    I like that, but I think it was 50 Cent that said "Don't hate the game, hate the player".

(Ask your kids, they'll know)

Do you even know what the term "sour grapes" means?

You're assuming that, because, I did not address Sowell, that I don't like him. You are also assuming that, I should like him, simply because he is black, and I'm a Lib.

You are such a simple man, Biker. I envy your simple life, sometimes. Ignorance must be bliss.

For what it's worth - I must not be as well-read as you, because I know nothing about this Sowell guy. I've heard of him, but that's about it.
    A published, conservative economist and social commentator.

Check one of his books out from the library. His perspective is refreshing. Sorry, no pictures in his books. But they are short.

Being right is bliss.

I like that, but I think it was 50 Cent that said "Don't hate the game, hate the player".

(Ask your kids, they'll know)
    They have too much intelligence to listen to that misogynistic hate crap.

You, on the other hand, sound like his target audience.

Actually, I got it backwards - it's "Hate the game, don't hate the player".

But, misogynous?? This is the man who had such tear-jerking lines as

We're only humans girl we make mistakes,
    to make it up I do whatever it take
    I love you like a fat kid loves cake

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information