Thread: America divided

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

America divided

Being of age, I never would have expected to experience the happenings taking place during and after this presidential election; where:

• The primaries were the ugliest contested.

• The candidates chosen for the race were the least honorable.

• The presidential campaign was downright ugly theater.

• The sitting president and losing candidate declared the voting process was not rigged and accepted the results; and where the winning candidate had declared earlier in the campaign that the process was rigged and he wouldn’t accept the results unless he won. Both Obama and Clinton call for unity and healing.

• A month later the third party candidate, with only 1% of the vote calls for a recount under the declaration that the recount would not affect the election outcome but very the legitimacy of the process.

• The protesting and rancor taking place by supporters of both the Democratic and Republican Party.

• Charges of Russia impacting the election results.

• Fake news and where candidates, the political parties and ‘legitimate’ media were also involved.

• The draining of the ‘Washington swamp’ and the refilling with fresh alligators.

• And now with the following being planned:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016...istration.html

How sad that we have become so divided without the president-elect having taken office yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Being of age, I never would have expected to experience the happenings taking place during and after this presidential election; where:

• The sitting president and losing candidate declared the voting process was not rigged and accepted the results; and where the winning candidate had declared earlier in the campaign that the process was rigged and he wouldn’t accept the results unless he won. Both Obama and Clinton call for unity and healing.

• A month later the third party candidate, with only 1% of the vote calls for a recount under the declaration that the recount would not affect the election outcome but very the legitimacy of the process.

• The protesting and rancor taking place by supporters of both the Democratic and Republican Party.

• Fake news and where candidates, the political parties and ‘legitimate’ media were also involved.

• The draining of the ‘Washington swamp’ and the refilling with fresh alligators.

How sad that we have become so divided without the president-elect having taken office yet.
    2016 makes 1968 look like a sanitized model of the democrat process.

The divide in America started 13 years ago when Bush invaded Iraq and has steadily widened since
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    The divide in America started 13 years ago when Bush invaded Iraq and has steadily widened since
    I am more inclined to say that it started much earlier, 1963. I am old enough to remember the Kennedy assassination and how things were before that. TRUE social ills and evils, like segregation, were on the road to being addressed, the majority of people lived in an intact family unit, religious beliefs were honored, the working class was valued and respected, and partisan differences "ended at the water's edge."

Whatever happened in Dallas that day, if the government could get away with selling that "fairy tale " gem to the public, it could get away with anything. This country has never been the same since.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; December 12th, 2016 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    I am more inclined to say that it started much earlier, 1963. I am old enough to remember the Kennedy assassination and how things were before that. TRUE social ills and evils, like segregation, were on the road to being addressed, the majority of people lived in an intact family unit, religious beliefs were honored, the working class was valued and respected, and partisan differences "ended at the water's edge."

Whatever happened in Dallas that day, if the government could get away with selling that "fairy tale " gem to the public, it could get away with anything. This country has never been the same since.
    Yeah, when a government entity rogue or otherwise bumps off it's own commander in chief I would say that pretty much becomes a turning point.

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    Yeah, when a government entity rogue or otherwise bumps off it's own commander in chief I would say that pretty much becomes a turning point.
    Where's that like button?

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post

I can't disagree with that - since Nixon was so hated, Ford was considered a dolt, Carter a failure...

But even under Reagan, there wasn't so much of a political divide between the people. I remember when GWB was president, thinking it was shocking to see a President so openly mocked. I used to watch Leno back then and he was relentless and it seems like ever since then sides have been drawn up and the divide has gotten wider between left and right, rich and poor, natives and immigrants....
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    I can't disagree with that - since Nixon was so hated, Ford was considered a dolt, Carter a failure...

But even under Reagan, there wasn't so much of a political divide between the people. I remember when GWB was president, thinking it was shocking to see a President so openly mocked. I used to watch Leno back then and he was relentless and it seems like ever since then sides have been drawn up and the divide has gotten wider between left and right, rich and poor, natives and immigrants....
    Oh, you are absolutely correct. Since 43 ignorantly invaded Iraq, the whole trend seemed to intensify and excellerate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post

Hey, Lee,

Why don't you run next year.

You know the issues in town. You sure have the name. You'd have the Independence nomination if they had a sense. Even if they didn't endorse you, you could run in the primary and easily win. Step up instead of squawking after the fact with town issues - you could make the issues. It would be interesting to see you on the town board. The GOP would be crazy not to support you. Who do they have anyway? Besides Mr. Sugg. But Sugg 2016 could also be a mirage of sorts that does not stand next year with local contests. Who knows. I could see the Conservatives being interested in you because the Democrats could be vulnerable after Trump's big win. The GOP probably has a strong sense of empowerment after that win. They need each other now more than ever (the Dems) and if they ever needed to unite this is the time for that or all heck can break out. The Conservatives need to make some big decisions because of all this. Nothing personal Lee, but if I were the Cons, I'd align with the Dems anyway because they have been on a good roll the last two cycles. We'll see I guess.

I'm certain that shortstuff would be looking for the like button all year long supporting your campaign on here.

You have really come into your own in fighting back of late!

Hey, it's a tough business and you sure are getting tougher. Keep it up.

You could probably teach those lazy town Republicans a thing or two.

Hey, Lee, you could also teach the soup kitchen guy a thing or two, too!

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy View Post

LOL

Hey Beagle Breath,

Still referring to the "Food Pantry" as a "Soup Kitchen?" You again demean poor and needy families.

BTW, what is your "ethics expert" candidate's view on the quid pro quo that is being suggested by your Governor: ethics reform in exchange for a pay hike. I hope that individual does not accept such a deal, or at least speaks out against it. "Ethics expert:: NONSENSE! Your candidate in 2016 was in politically "in bed" with every every corporate law firm and special interest.

Is there any room for you in that bed, or do you just pull-up a chair and watch?

LOL

But, on a more positive note. It is true that an old dog can be taught new tricks, especially if instructed by an older and wiser once such as Lee. I am always eager to learn from him.

You might be old, Lee, but I hope I'm still able to express my opinions in mediums that most people your age have no clue about how to use, or if they even exist. To that, I say Kudos!
    HipKat's Blog

The Josh Ernest press briefing of December 14 was alarming. The Press Secretary stated that President-elect Trump knew of the the Russian hacking of DNC emails, and encouraged the continued hacking and release of further emails. Trump's purported motive was to improve the position of his candidacy. Mr. Ernst's remarks rest on a foundation of half-truths, unsupported insights, and deliberate distortion.

Mr. Ernest frivolously distorted Mr. Trump's comments, which merely referenced the possibility that Mrs. Clinton's ILLEGAL email server may have been hacked, as everyone had speculated and feared, and that if the Russians did any such hacking, they may be able to provide the emails that Mrs. Clinton apparently DESTROYED in DEFIANCE of a Congressional SUBPOENA.

I am concerned as to why the President of the United States would authorize such a reckless statement.

Mr. Ernest's remarks, taken together along with Mrs. Clinton's reluctance to publicly concede election night, cherry-picked recounts in close Trump states, to the exclusion of the same in close Clinton states, proposed CIA "briefings" of electors, and concerted calls for electors to "vote the conscience" and not their pledge, seem to suggest the possibility that there may be something rather unseemly blowing in the wind.

This may be a moment of rather unprecedented danger for the Republic.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; December 15th, 2016 at 02:29 PM.

Hey, Lee,

Why don't you run next year.

You know the issues in town. You sure have the name. You'd have the Independence nomination if they had a sense. Even if they didn't endorse you, you could run in the primary and easily win. Step up instead of squawking after the fact with town issues - you could make the issues. It would be interesting to see you on the town board. The GOP would be crazy not to support you. Who do they have anyway? Besides Mr. Sugg. But Sugg 2016 could also be a mirage of sorts that does not stand next year with local contests. Who knows. I could see the Conservatives being interested in you because the Democrats could be vulnerable after Trump's big win. The GOP probably has a strong sense of empowerment after that win. They need each other now more than ever (the Dems) and if they ever needed to unite this is the time for that or all heck can break out. The Conservatives need to make some big decisions because of all this. Nothing personal Lee, but if I were the Cons, I'd align with the Dems anyway because they have been on a good roll the last two cycles. We'll see I guess.

I'm certain that shortstuff would be looking for the like button all year long supporting your campaign on here.

You have really come into your own in fighting back of late!

Hey, it's a tough business and you sure are getting tougher. Keep it up.

You could probably teach those lazy town Republicans a thing or two.

Interesting; I don’t know whether you are being facetious or serious as I am becoming gullible in my old age; so they say.

Anyway, your post has relevance in that in my mind you know me politically as well as anyone. As such you have to know:

• I am and have always been a non affiliated party registered voter.

• I had been asked about running for a town board position in the past and refused the offer; am still not interested and too damn old.

• In recent years I have become persona non gratis to all political parties and have been called the equal offender. No party would trust me to tow their line.

• Was unhappy with last year’s town board election results but have been satisfied with the current board’s makeup and administration.

• I was very disappointed by the Republican Party’s lack of support for Sugg – an inept/ineffective party in the Town of Lancaster. I have to believe that the Conservatives have to be very disappointed that they hitched their wagons to the REPS in the last few years. The Lancaster Republican Party needs an enema.

• I would have to agree with you that the Conservative, and Independence, Party has a tough decision to make on whom to endorse next year for the two board openings and Highway Supervisor. Their choice should be based on best qualified candidate acting in the best interests of the town. I believed I had voted in that direction last year and will admit I was wrong. It was the first time I voted a straight ticket in Lancaster. I did not vote my conscience and regret it.

Politics is a tough game. Just when you feel you have enough information (even as an outsider looking in) to make a good decision, the rug is pulled out from under you.

Unfortunately, politics has become a blood-sport with so much negativity that it only serves to polarize the electorate and where some just can’t move on.

Thread Information