Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The good and bad from the storm

The good and bad from the storm

As we all look back on the storm I am sure we all saw good things and bad that came about because of this storm.
    Here are some of the good things:
    (1)Families pulling together to get through the crisis , such as bailing out the basement or removing tree limbs from the yard.
    (2) Families becoming closer because they did not have all the electronics, such as playing a card game or a board game. The most simple thing may be the best, just having an old time family talk. Boy that is a lost art.
    (3) Strangers helping strangers to get though the hardship.

Now some of the bad things.
    (1) The loss of life. Misuse of generators caused this tragety.
    (2) Massive property damage.
    (3) People being self centered and jerks.
    (4) Gougers, People selling generators at three times cost minimum.
    (5)One home improvement store selling thirty generators to one customer so he could go down the street and sell that at triple his cost. Scumbag.
    (6) Fist fights over the last C or D batteries or gas cans at WalMart.( this just showed me the city of good neighbors slogan might be becoming a myth).

Can you share any examples?

Quote Originally Posted by boomeriam
    As we all look back on the storm I am sure we all saw good things and bad that came about because of this storm.
    (1)Families pulling together to get through the crisis , such as bailing out the basement or removing tree limbs from the yard.
    (2) Families becoming closer because they did not have all the electronics, such as playing a card game or a board game. The most simple thing may be the best, just having an old time family talk. Boy that is a lost art.

(5)One home improvement store selling thirty generators to one customer so he could go down the street and sell that at triple his cost. Scumbag.
    (6) Fist fights over the last C or D batteries or gas cans at WalMart.( this just showed me the city of good neighbors slogan might be becoming a myth).

No. Just keep stating the obvious.
    The evil hide even when no one is chasing them.- Proverbs

Quote Originally Posted by boomeriam

Hmmmm. Perhaps on your planet this happened but not as much in good ole WNY. Sorry to say but many people were on there own to survive. I gave my own experience and even though I would help somone in need if close by within reason I have learned from this experience to be as self sufficient as possible because sorry to say but people of today just do not give a rats ass.

Quote Originally Posted by concernedwnyer
    Hmmmm. Perhaps on your planet this happened but not as much in good ole WNY. Sorry to say but many people were on there own to survive. I gave my own experience and even though I would help somone in need if close by within reason I have learned from this experience to be as self sufficient as possible because sorry to say but people of today just do not give a rats ass.
    that's your opinion, ...obviously

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    A lot of people I saw were helping others.

Before saying people don't help others ask your self how many you helped first.

Quote Originally Posted by buffy
    Yes it is my opinion but it is also fact..... If that were not the case you would not have had 13 deaths... You would not have a run on power generators becasue people woudl be sharing. I can tell you this on my street peopel did there own drives and then went inside not helping the perosn next door. My neighbor was not the only who did that.

So yes, it is my opinion based on fact. OBVIOUSLY!

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    A lot of people I saw were helping others.

Before saying people don't help others ask your self how many you helped first.

I went across the street and helped one person move some brush for a little bit but by the time I took care of my problems there was not much need for help by other people on my street. I let the neighbors know that if the power goes out again I have a generator.

So what have you done to help. Oh you let George borrow a generator that you had........ That is right.........

Quote Originally Posted by buffy

Oh, PM your telco number so if I need help I could count on you

TimeOut Chair
    Yes it is my opinion but it is also fact.....
    Fact? Gee.... I really don't know....

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    So what have you done to help. Oh you let George borrow a generator that you had........ That is right.........
    Lets see..

Helped clear 5 driveways with my snow blower..... One driveway was tough because the womans trees just fell apart over her driveway. Had to chain saw the stuff apart as I was clearing room for her car to get out...

oh and bailed one womans cellar out a few doors down. She's 75 and couldn't handle the basement stairs that well. She even made us coffee in her glass percolator (Sp.) coffee pot. Haven't seen one of those in a long time. She moved from the country she was born which I can't spell when the russian front was moving through. Her husband built thier home from scratch except for the poured basement. Very good handy work.

OH and ran to derby with someone elses generator to pump out thier basement. They are in their 80's and thier home is starting to be a bit much for them. They lost a good chunk of thier furniture in the basement along with an upright piano. Thier emergency sump pump didn't work as advertized.

Was a busy weekend Concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock
    Fact? Gee.... I really don't know....

"Sorry to say but many people were on there own to survive."

Brain fart again..... Or how much were they paid for the snap shot????

TimeOut Chair
    [/B]

Paid LOL- I saw it on www.speakupwny.com

Quote Originally Posted by concernedwhiner
    [/B]

God, you're extra whiney today.
    FOR RENT

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    Lets see..

Helped clear 5 driveways with my snow blower..... One driveway was tough because the womans trees just fell apart over her driveway. Had to chain saw the stuff apart as I was clearing room for her car to get out...

oh and bailed one womans cellar out a few doors down. She's 75 and couldn't handle the basement stairs that well. She even made us coffee in her glass percolator (Sp.) coffee pot. Haven't seen one of those in a long time. She moved from the country she was born which I can't spell when the russian front was moving through. Her husband built thier home from scratch except for the poured basement. Very good handy work.

OH and ran to derby with someone elses generator to pump out thier basement. They are in their 80's and thier home is starting to be a bit much for them. They lost a good chunk of thier furniture in the basement along with an upright piano. Thier emergency sump pump didn't work as advertized.

Was a busy weekend Concerned.
    Oh shucks! You should have given me your home numbe rso that way I could have called you for some assistance too and to think a couple of days agao I was thinking about asking you if you needed help clearing some of the back.... glad I only thought about offering and not expressing the offer - especially now.

Yes it is my opinion but it is also fact..... If that were not the case you would not have had 13 deaths... You would not have a run on power generators becasue people woudl be sharing. I can tell you this on my street peopel did there own drives and then went inside not helping the perosn next door. My neighbor was not the only who did that.
    So, did you eventually buy a generator and share it with the other neighbors?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information