Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haynes to be appointed to Ellicott Dist seat

Unregistered

Haynes to be appointed to Ellicott Dist seat

Seeing the 'blemishes' of so many of the other candidates, this is no surprise.

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/921410.html

Council to appoint Haynes to Ellicott District seat

By Brian Meyer, NEWS STAFF REPORTER
    Updated: January 13, 2010, 3:36 PM /

A college economics professor is in line to become the Ellicott District representative on the Common Council.

The Buffalo News has learned that a majority of lawmakers reached an informal consensus this afternoon to appoint Dr. Curtis Haynes Jr. to fill the seat vacated by Brian C. Davis. The formal appointment to the $52,000-a-year job will be made at a special session to be held 3 p.m. Thursday.

Majority Leader Richard A. Fontana said the five-member ruling majority united behind Haynes' candidacy. Haynes is an economics professor at Buffalo State College.

"Mr. Haynes' resume has risen to the top of the pile," said Fontana.

Niagara representative David A. Rivera said Haynes' knowledge of economic issues will be an asset to the Council. "And he seems to be one of the least political people of the candidates we've interviewed," said Rivera.

Haynes is among 10 candidates vying for the job. As recently as today, two other contenders were meeting with lawmakers to try to shore up support. The Rev. Darius G. Pridgen and city firefighter Bryon J. McIntyre visited numerous Council offices. Pridgen narrowly won the backing of Democratic Party committeemen for the post, but the Council is not bound to follow this recommendation.

"I certainly gave [the recommendation] great weight," said Rivera. "But at the end of the day, I have to pick a candidate who I feel will best represent the broad interests of the Ellicott District."

While lawmakers stressed the appointment will not be official until Thursday's vote, they expressed confidence that nothing will change before then.

Haynes, 51, said this would be his first foray into elected office.

"I'm excited. I really feel that with my character and my skills, I can do some very positive things for the stakeholders in the Ellicott District," he said.

The seat has been empty since November, after Davis resiged in the wake of a scandal. He pleaded guilty to misdemeanors stemming from his expenditure of campaign funds for personal uses.

PHOTO: Dr. Curtis Haynes Jr. is an economics professor at Buffalo State College.

bmeyer@buffnews.com

Reaction from Antoine Thompson via Facebook. If you are fortunate enough to be his friend, you can view the on going thread in which people point blank tell him that Pridgen is unqualified for the job, and remind him of Haynes' credentials.

" Antoine Thompson
    The common council and the democratic party not doing Rev. Darius Pridgen for the Ellicott District is SLAP in the face. I'm so disgusted. As hard as Pridgen works and played by the rules and he gets kicked in the butt by the Council? Hopefully Pridgen will run in September you have my support!!!!
    2 hours ago via Mobile Web · Comment · Like"

"Antoine Thompson
    They r on a power trip on the common council and they must be stopped.
    2 hours ago"

"Antoine Thompson
    What has he done in the community in the last 10years where he is running? Like him but even Obama had to serve first!!!!!
    about an hour ago"

"Antoine Thompson
    I guess being on the schoo board, having multiple degrees, and being involved in the community doesn't count anymore. Hard work still has value in America!!!!!
    about an hour ago"

How bout Darius is a friend of Brown

who they don't want to have any type of monopoly. I'm elated they didn't pick a Brown ally.

Quote Originally Posted by Deerhunter View Post
    who they don't want to have any type of monopoly. I'm elated they didn't pick a Brown ally.
    Exactly, there were two Brownies from my count, Marilyn Rodgers and Pridgen.

Quote Originally Posted by CSense View Post
    Exactly, there were two Brownies from my count, Marilyn Rodgers and Pridgen.
    Oh, stop beating a dead horse, CSense. Find something constructive to use your mind for. Contribute ideas to the community. Then you can spit and fart all you want.

Now, on to the topic:

Haynes is a good guy. Has strong spiritual values that are outside of organized religion. It's going to be a tough job for him and I wish him the very best.

agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Deerhunter View Post
    did you see all the pastor supporters protesting at city hall ?
    "PAY POLICE LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT"
    "WE ARE HERE TO PROTECT YOUR ASS NOT KISS IT"
    "DOWN WITH BROWN"

well the vote is tomorrow at 3 pm cant wait till all the drama starts and the cops have to be called in
    "DOWN WITH BROWN"

Quote Originally Posted by Harker View Post
    Reaction from Antoine Thompson via Facebook. If you are fortunate enough to be his friend, you can view the on going thread in which people point blank tell him that Pridgen is unqualified for the job, and remind him of Haynes' credentials.

" Antoine Thompson
    The common council and the democratic party not doing Rev. Darius Pridgen for the Ellicott District is SLAP in the face. I'm so disgusted. As hard as Pridgen works and played by the rules and he gets kicked in the butt by the Council? Hopefully Pridgen will run in September you have my support!!!!
    2 hours ago via Mobile Web · Comment · Like"

"Antoine Thompson
    They r on a power trip on the common council and they must be stopped.
    2 hours ago"

"Antoine Thompson
    What has he done in the community in the last 10years where he is running? Like him but even Obama had to serve first!!!!!
    about an hour ago"

"Antoine Thompson
    I guess being on the schoo board, having multiple degrees, and being involved in the community doesn't count anymore. Hard work still has value in America!!!!!
    about an hour ago"
    so Pridgen has he support of Davis and Thompson?
    in that case I'm glad he isn't getting chosen
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

Unregistered

Heaney sums it up

Jim Heany is skilled at getting good information, and sensibly putting it together.

I agree with his assessment here, altho he should have mentioned that Haynes has not been the best of neighbors, dragging his heels in maintaining his investment properties, & ending up in Housing Court.

But, of the choices politically available, the Council made an 'informed' decision
    Heaney speaks . . .
    http://blogs.buffalonews.com/outrage...26+Insights%29

January 13, 2010
    A sensible choice for Ellicott Council seat

Brian Meyer is reporting that the Council majority has settled on Curtis Haynes Jr.to succeed Brian Davis to represent the Ellicott District.

Haynes is not a politician, but rather a college professor and an economist. That makes the choice atypical and sensible. Think of it -- a Councilman whose district includes downtown and the waterfront who has expertise in economics. When's the last time we had that kind of expertise on the job?And, as a bonus, Haynes pays his bills.

And, for better or worse, depending on your perspective, Haynes gives the majority block that is expected to appoint him Thursday the sixth vote that represents a veto-proof majority on the Council. The politics of the district are such that Haynes may be well served by not walking in lock-step with that majority, however.

As I've written previously, his credentials, and the backing of Arthur O. Eve Jr., made Haynes a serious contender for the job since the day he applied, along with the Rev. Darius Pridgen, who, besides being accomplished in his own right, enjoyed the backing of Grassroots, the mayor's political organization.

Firefighter Bryon McIntyre emerged as a serious third contender, finishing a close second to Pridgen in a vote of Democratic committeemenSaturday. He remains a potentially serious challenger to Haynes if he decides to oppose him in the special election this fall that will determine who will serve the balance of the term. For all we know, Pridgen, too, may make a run for it.

Given what's at stake this fall, with all the seats in the State Senate and Assembly up for grabs, you can expect the various factions in the Democratic Party to all run candidates to boost turnout. Party HQ will no doubt be behind Haynes, barring an unexpected falling out, and Brown/Grassroots will almost certainly field a candidate. And the field may not be limited to those two.

Haynes has a bit of a handicap, in that he's a political neophyte without an independent political base. That's not a major problem, so long as Eve and HQ provide the necessary backup.

Haynes' more-immediate challenge is establishing himself in the community and building as much of a track record as one can expect in less than a year. The majority that has selected him owes it to him and themselves to see to it that he succeeds. And that means, among other things, doing right by the Ellicott District.

Great. Now we have 3 part time Councilmen that have jobs at Buffalo State

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCitizen View Post
    Great. Now we have 3 part time Councilmen that have jobs at Buffalo State
    Aren't they all part-time? Or are you saying you have a problem with Buff State?

Unregistered

Listen to Demone Smith 'protesting' & Haynes accepting

Here is the latest from Brian Meyer. I'd recommend listening to the audio link in the article. Haynes made an eloquent acceptance speech, & obviously had good support in the audience.

Meyer is misleading in referring to "protests", when Demone Smith was the lone protester to be heard on the audio.

Never having been impressed by Demone Smith's 'substance', I have been unable to confirm if the councilman is the Demone A Smith (of Beverly Rd) having a new NYS tax lien of $6013 filed in early 2009. If so, that is a troubling signs for a public official overseeing milions of public funds & profiting from generous benefits from NYS taxpayers.

COPY: http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/922700.html

Over protests, Council appoints HaynesBy Brian Meyer, NEWS STAFF REPORTER
    Updated: January 14, 2010, 5:12 PM /

The Common Council has appointed a college economics professor to a vacancy, defying the wishes of Democratic Party committee members in the Ellicott District.

Curtis Haynes Jr. will serve in the $52,000-a-year job through the end of December. Haynes has committed to run for election in the fall, and he faces likely primary challenges. The Rev. Darius G. Pridgen is considering a possible run, and city firefighter Bryon J. McIntyre has told lawmakers he is committed to running for the seat vacated by Brian C. Davis. This afternoon's special Council meeting was brief but acrimonious. Masten representative Demone A. Smith, a Pridgen supporter, accused Council leaders of acting like "tyrants and despots."

Listen to today's debate

After a brief debate, Haynes was appointed in a 6-2 vote. He was supported by Council President David A. Franczyk, President Pro Tempore David A. Rivera, Majority Leader Richard A. Fontana, Michael J. LoCurto of Delaware and Michael P. Kearns of South. North representative Joseph Golombek Jr. also supported Haynes after his push to appoint Marilyn Rodgers to the post failed to receive a required second.

Pridgen was backed by Smith and University Council Member Bonnie E. Russell. Other contenders for the position also attended the meeting, including Pridgen, who hugged Haynes moments after the vote, but left Council Chambers as Haynes started to speak. Pridgen said he has not decided whether he will run in a September primary for the final year of Davis' unexpired term.

Haynes, an economics professor at Buffalo State College, called on the other unsuccessful candidates to work together, calling Ellicott "the heart of Buffalo. We need development and the jobs it will bring," he said. "We need to strengthen our neighborhoods. We need safe streets and parks and shopping areas. We need revitalization, rehabilitation and reuse."

Last Saturday, Pridgen narrowly won the backing of Democratic committee members. Pridgen made it clear that he harbors no ill will toward Haynes. But he was critical of Council members who, except on rare occasions, have followed recommendations of committee members to fill empty seats. "While they celebrate here, there are people who are mourning, because their voices have not been heard," said Pridgen.

bmeyer@buffnews.com

DOCUMENT DETAIL: (M)

Doc Type: 108
    Doc Group: LIEN
    CFN: 2009018916
    Date/Time: 02/02/2009 15:33
    Book Type: Q
    Book/Page: 204/2407
    Pages: 2
    Original Amt: $6012.63
    Original Date:
    Stated Amt: $0.00
    Misc: 22
    Index Seq:
    Case #:

Parties
    D SMITH DEMONE A
    -- BEVERLY RD BUFFALO NY 14208-1217
    R NEW YORK STATE DEPT OF TAXATION&FINANCE COM
    CIVIL ENFORCEMENT-CO-ATC WA HARRIMAN STATE CAMPUS ALBANY NY 12227-0001

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    Aren't they all part-time? Or are you saying you have a problem with Buff State?
    They are supposed to be full time for $52,000 per year. 3 of them teach at Buffalo State too.

da'mone smith is a jack ass and an embarrassment to the city
    "DOWN WITH BROWN"

Face it. Pridgen is a great evangelist. But, the way the guy runs his mouth, the rest of the council would need tranquilizers. Can you blame them for not voting for him?
    Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information