Thread: A story of good people - thanks Res and Mrs Res

Gold Member

A story of good people - thanks Res and Mrs Res

I have to share a heartwarming story.

Res and his significant other saved my Grandmother's life during this storm.

You see, my Grandmother is on oxygen 24/7, she uses a machine called a concentrator that requires constant power to run. She does have a backup tank of liquid oxygen, but as it happened, it was nearly empty and due to be refilled on Friday morning, and as you can imagine the vendor was unable to make it to their house with a refill due to the impassable streets.

I was in a near panic mid-morning on Friday. I tried *everything* I could think of to acquire a generator from family and friends, but unfortunately I struck out at every turn. I happened to talk to Res on the phone and mentioned the situation (not realizing he has a generator) and without a second thought he offered the generator to me for my Grandmother.

When I arrived at Res' house to pick up the generator, he and his significant other were using it to run their sump pump. And here's the kicker. Mrs. Res' father recently passed away, and all of his antiques and collectibles were stacked in their basement. Knowing how much sentimental value this has to Mrs Res, I was extremely reluctant to take the generator, knowing that in all liklihood that her father's stuff would be destroyed, and tried to come up with another solution. Mrs. Res would hear nothing of it, and practically forced me to take their generator.

The timing was perfect. By the time I hooked up my grandmother's concentrator, her liquid ran out, literally within minutes. It was amazing how the timing worked out.

We ran the generator for the next 48 hours, and all was well. The next morning I was able to acquire another, larger generator and swapped that for Res' at my grandparents house and returned Res' to their house.

When I returned to Res', a good 48 hours later, I arrived to find he and Mrs Res manually draining their sump pump with buckets in an attempt to keep Mrs. Res' father's possessions from being destroyed. It worked, nothing was damaged, thanks to them not sleeping at all and working non-stop with buckets.

All worked out well, Grandma is fine, Res' house is fine. Without Res, I'd be planning a funeral, literally.

I just wanted to take a moment to share this story of generosity with all of you.

Tony (Res) is my hero, I am forever indebted to him.

I know I've thanked you personally, Tony, but your act of generosity means more than I can possibly express, and I think our fellow SUWNYers should know how great you really are.

Thank you for saving my Grandmother.

George

PS - In case any of you are wondering, yes I tried to take her to the hospital but was turned away. I tried the Red Cross, but they were out of supplies of her type of O2. I tried to contact all the other O2 vendors in the area to try to pick up another backup supply. I tried *everything* I could think of, and the only one who came through was Res.

PPS - I already bought my grandparents their own generator, this will never happen again
    Last edited by GeorgeB; October 19th, 2006 at 12:31 PM.

Thumbs up

Res and Ms. Res ARE the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wheresthesun
    Res and Ms. Res ARE the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That's an understatement

Hats off to the Res's.

I happened to be out of town during the storm, but that's a whole nother story.

I was so taken back by the number of stories I heard, and phone calls I rec'd of people saying things like "I have a generator, do you want to borrow it?". These are people who I'm not best friends with, so, apparently, if they called me, they called tons of other people as well.

That will be my memory of this storm.

GeorgieB, I'm so glad that your gram wasd take care of...those res' are good people. The only thing I can add is that my neighbors came over w/chicken noodle soup and a knee wrap when I tripped over a tree branch and hurt my knee. I'll live, but, I'm not so sure about surviving this damn DIAL UP connection. Where is Time/Warner???

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buffy
    Where is Time/Warner???
    Is your drop down or is cable out in general in your area? If your drop is down, the drop being the line that runs from the pole to your house, you should call TW to report it, if you haven't already. If your drop is not down, that is a sign of bigger problems, such as a converter or amplifier on the hard line is down.

When I worked for TW in Syracuse, we took 3+ weeks to fully restore cable/internet service to all affected homes after a major ice storm, and we had crews from all over assisting our efforts. It's a slow process

One good thing is that they won't likely have to come into your house if just the drop is down. Usually they'll just repair the drop and then barrel it to the existing line running into your house. Point being, check often, they may fix it and you may not even know

we have cable TV, just not broadband IT; thanks for the info George, it doesn't appear that the drop is down...

Mr & Mrs Rez

George,
    Thank you for sharing that story ..they are terrific indeed and would never toot their own horn and tell us themselves, I met Mrs Rez at the SUWNY picnic and thought she was wonderful....and well.. Tony aint too shabby either!
    WNY's link to the latest deals,printable coupons AND money saving tips!
    www.buffalobroad.com

Thread Information