Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Town Tax Rate for the Town of Holland up 65 % !!!!!!!!!

  1. #1
    Member farmall806's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    519

    Town Tax Rate for the Town of Holland up 65 % !!!!!!!!!

    Well, The Town of Holland went through with the property tax increase. 65 % INCREASE for the Town Tax!!! 8 % increase for the Town Highway Tax. The Highway tax increase I can somewhat understand, because of the increase in Rock Salt, but the Town Tax increase was totally uncalled for.

  2. #2
    Member FMD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,733
    And your paying the tax why?

    Dont pay it, or, pay what you paid last year.

    Only way to force changes, is to cut off the money. If half of holland didnt pay their taxes, REAL change would ocurr over night.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

    "Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

  3. #3
    Member nogods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9,330
    Quote Originally Posted by farmall806 View Post
    Well, The Town of Holland went through with the property tax increase. 65 % INCREASE for the Town Tax!!! 8 % increase for the Town Highway Tax. The Highway tax increase I can somewhat understand, because of the increase in Rock Salt, but the Town Tax increase was totally uncalled for.
    what property tax increase? There doesn't seem to be anything in the news media about such an unusual large increase.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,056
    It looks like no one showed up to speak at the public hearing on the local law to override the tax cap or on the public hearing on the budget. Looks like the supervisors preliminary budget contained the tax increases and he pointed out both that there would be an override of the tax cap and a significant tax increase.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,056
    Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    And your paying the tax why?

    Dont pay it, or, pay what you paid last year.

    Only way to force changes, is to cut off the money. If half of holland didnt pay their taxes, REAL change would ocurr over night.
    Actually, the change wouldn't occur overnight. It would occur in a year or two when the county sells the properties in tax foreclosure sales and there are a bunch of new residents in Holland.

  6. #6
    Member gorja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lancaster, NY
    Posts
    12,116
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    what property tax increase? There doesn't seem to be anything in the news media about such an unusual large increase.
    2015 General Town tax rate - $1.104521 per thousand
    2014 General Town tax rate - $0.675809 per thousand
    +63%

    Have a GREAT day,
    Georgia Schlager

  7. #7
    Member nogods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9,330
    Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    2015 General Town tax rate - $1.104521 per thousand
    2014 General Town tax rate - $0.675809 per thousand
    +63%
    If there was no significant change in total assessments, then an increase in the tax rate is solely attributable to an increase in the town budget - what is the town spending 65% more on than it did last year?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,056
    The budget is on line so anyone can compare. Supervisor said health insurance up 30%, cost of paper up etc. sounds like they held the line as long as they could but who knows. nogods you're right. Just cause the rate is up 63% doesn't mean payments will be. One would have to know something about what, if anything, happened to assessments.

  9. #9
    Member gorja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lancaster, NY
    Posts
    12,116
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    If there was no significant change in total assessments, then an increase in the tax rate is solely attributable to an increase in the town budget - what is the town spending 65% more on than it did last year?
    Their assessed values are the same as last year. their full market value changes as their equalization rate changed from 96% to 94%

    http://www.tslco.net/default2.aspx?dbconn=Holland

    Have a GREAT day,
    Georgia Schlager

  10. #10
    Member nogods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9,330
    apparently the voters in holland are satisfied with the increase tax rate. A 200K house will pay about $220/yr instead of $134. I guess the people living in those 200k houses aren't all up in arms about the extra $86.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,056
    Or there hasn't been an election yet. Since tax bills were just due this past Tuesday we'll have to wait for the exciting conclusion at election time.

  12. #12
    Member farmall806's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    519
    There was a lot they could have done to reduce the Budget, but they decided against further reductions. They could have switched all the Town employees over to the Health Care Exchange, they didn't do that.

    They could have changed the retirement system so that the employees , when they retire , would have full control over their retirement. All they had to do was set it up so that the money taken out of the employees checks each week , was placed in an interest earning IRA or some other savings account. When the employee retires, they would get a lump sum check equal to the amount they placed into the savings account, plus any interest earned. The retiree would then be able to do whatever they wanted with their retirement. It would be off of the tax rolls.

    For whatever reason, the Town Board did not do that.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,056
    Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    The budget is on line so anyone can compare. Supervisor said health insurance up 30%, cost of paper up etc. sounds like they held the line as long as they could but who knows. nogods you're right. Just cause the rate is up 63% doesn't mean payments will be. One would have to know something about what, if anything, happened to assessments.
    Quote Originally Posted by farmall806 View Post
    There was a lot they could have done to reduce the Budget, but they decided against further reductions. They could have switched all the Town employees over to the Health Care Exchange, they didn't do that.

    They could have changed the retirement system so that the employees , when they retire , would have full control over their retirement. All they had to do was set it up so that the money taken out of the employees checks each week , was placed in an interest earning IRA or some other savings account. When the employee retires, they would get a lump sum check equal to the amount they placed into the savings account, plus any interest earned. The retiree would then be able to do whatever they wanted with their retirement. It would be off of the tax rolls.

    For whatever reason, the Town Board did not do that.
    I hate to be the one to break this to you but the town board had zippo control over the retirement system. It's a state retirement system and the local governments role is pretty much limited to deciding whether to pay it all now or buying (literally) the right to pay it over time. They can't control payouts etc and anyone who says they can is crazy as they come.

  14. #14
    Member FMD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,733
    Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    I hate to be the one to break this to you but the town board had zippo control over the retirement system. It's a state retirement system and the local governments role is pretty much limited to deciding whether to pay it all now or buying (literally) the right to pay it over time. They can't control payouts etc and anyone who says they can is crazy as they come.
    such a defeatist attitude.

    its simple, stop paying it. when they come in force, you meet that force with equal force. if that means guns come out, so be it. the point is, there is always a choice.

    as far as 'losing your home is a tax sax sale' there again, not enough people have defended themselves against such out right theft of a persons property.

    If people en masse said 'no' and stopped paying their taxes, and stuck together, and defended themselves, and meeting the force of the govt with equal force (with guns) things would change very rapidly. Remember, the govt uses threats of court, then uses threats of physical, and often times lethal violence to force your compliance.

    However most people cave when the govt threatens lethal force, which is why the United States is quickly becoming a police state.

    and, 80% of the people feel if they bury their heads in the sand things will some how magically get better. or they rely on 'voting' as if that actually will change anything.

    you want change? stop paying for their party. Pretty simple concept.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

    "Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

  15. #15
    Member FMD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,733
    Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Actually, the change wouldn't occur overnight. It would occur in a year or two when the county sells the properties in tax foreclosure sales and there are a bunch of new residents in Holland.
    govts always use the threat of violence or perceived threats of violence to force compliance of any particular population.

    political power comes from the barrel of a gun, and as soon as the govt doesnt get its way, it points guns at you
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

    "Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Town of Holland Town Property Taxes going up $66.00
    By farmall806 in forum Village of East Aurora, Town of Wales, Aurora, Holland and Sardinia Politics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: September 13th, 2014, 01:38 PM
  2. Town of Holland property taxes going up $120 !!!
    By farmall806 in forum Village of East Aurora, Town of Wales, Aurora, Holland and Sardinia Politics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: October 6th, 2013, 06:08 PM
  3. Holland Town Tax rate to TRIPLE IN 2007!!!
    By farmall806 in forum Village of East Aurora, Town of Wales, Aurora, Holland and Sardinia Politics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: September 20th, 2006, 09:14 PM
  4. Should the Town of Holland go for Erie County Water?
    By farmall806 in forum Village of East Aurora, Town of Wales, Aurora, Holland and Sardinia Politics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: September 18th, 2005, 11:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •