Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do without power?

What did you do without power?

We were without power for 3 days. You don't realize how much you depend on it when you have it. I emptied the fridge into a cooler packed with snow, found every candle I own and spent time with the neighbors during the daylight. Funny how things like this brings out everyone in the neighborhood. We helped each other with downed branches and drank beer LOL. I had one tree lose a few branches, another lost half its branches and the third one fell right over - broke off at the ground. Thank God nothing landed on the house or cars. Sunday we went to friend's in Orchard Park. Ordered pizza and watched the Bills game. Sure felt good to get out of the house and be someplace warm.
    Adopt an English Springer Spaniel.
    http://www.springerrescue.org
    "Striving to be the person
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

zzzzzz
    The evil hide even when no one is chasing them.- Proverbs

Bailed out the sump pump by hand every hour on the hour for the past four days.

Had one hell of a cookout the past two days. We're talking feasting bigger than a Bills' tailgate party. Can't waste all that food.

Found out the Bills still suck!

Listened to my A's get swept right out of the playoffs.

Since the gym was closed, dusted off those old weights in the basement and went nuts.

Oh, and Thursday night, watched that freaky green, blue, and red lightning.

we didnt get powerloss. I feel bad for all of you. I am south of Buffalo, we got snow for two hours on Saturday then it went away.

My Mother lives in Buffalo, I called her, she said it was bad their, and North of Buffalo got it worse from what I hear.
    Youth and beauty is sexy...
    engineering a system by which one can deliver running water throughout an estate is sexier.

Leonardo da Vinci

Spent a some time wondering how the hell come Squaw Island pumping station and several other key infrastructure utilities do not have a backup generator...... How could a water supply pumping station not have a backup generator???? I was shocked to find out there was none.

Spent some time dealing with some water in the basement.

Spent time surprised that a neighbor out of the blue offered to hook his generator up from two houses down to run the sump pump.

Was shocked when the neighbor disconnected the power cord and then knocked on the door said sorry. I am afraid of burning out the generator do to the long extension cord run....

The breaker would have popped before the generator was damaged if there was any overload..........

That was not cool especially since it was the first time meeting him. He did not leave a good impression... Luckily the water was just about all gone but the sump hole was filled with water....

Recinded my thought about giving him a small gift certificate for helping out.

Spent some time going to PA to a Home Depot to get a generator.
    NAYSEG could not give a definitive time of power restore....
    Once shame on me twice shame on you.

Spent some time trying to figure out the true specs of the generator.....
    Manual did not agree with advertised specs on sale of unit.....

Wondered about the loser who drove by trying to sell one of eight 3500 watt generators he got from Ohio. Yea, buy a generator from a guy driving around a in truck trying to sell them who got the generators from Ohio. The units were only 3500 watts..... Turns out this character was reported on the radio, then the News..... The description was identical... Guy had eight generators he got from Ohio..... Turned out he was doubling the price of the unit... Ripping people off...

I sensed something was wrong right away..... To odd to be good. Hope he got a date with the justice system...

Jury rigged the generator to the the furnace circuit to power the furnace on Saturday.

Around 12:00PM Saturday the power went back on.

Otherwise nothing much.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by OneEmerald
    We were without power for 3 days. You don't realize how much you depend on it when you have it. I emptied the fridge into a cooler packed with snow, found every candle I own and spent time with the neighbors during the daylight. Funny how things like this brings out everyone in the neighborhood. We helped each other with downed branches and drank beer LOL. I had one tree lose a few branches, another lost half its branches and the third one fell right over - broke off at the ground. Thank God nothing landed on the house or cars. Sunday we went to friend's in Orchard Park. Ordered pizza and watched the Bills game. Sure felt good to get out of the house and be someplace warm.
    Uhm, I drove with the top down all weekend - went to a wine festival, picked apples in a nearby grove with my kids, and went to dinner with friends.

A few things I noticed during this power outtage.

1. The Towns, stores, warehouses, and people in general,were completely unprepared for this.

2. The building code needs to be changed. All new build residential property should be required to have a Natural Gas Stand-By Electric Generator to supply electricity in case of a lose of power.

Quote Originally Posted by farmall806
    A few things I noticed during this power outtage.

1. The Towns, stores, warehouses, and people in general,were completely unprepared for this.

2. The building code needs to be changed. All new build residential property should be required to have a Natural Gas Stand-By Electric Generator to supply electricity in case of a lose of power.
    I don't think general power outages happen often enough to warrant that.

That said, however, if I were to build new out in the country, I would have a stand-by generator included since you need electricity to run the well pump.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Quote Originally Posted by ceglia
    Uhm, I drove with the top down all weekend - went to a wine festival, picked apples in a nearby grove with my kids, and went to dinner with friends.
    Did you see any "albino" deer while you were dashing about, troll?
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D
    I don't think general power outages happen often enough to warrant that.

That said, however, if I were to build new out in the country, I would have a stand-by generator included since you need electricity to run the well pump.
    I was checking the cost of a stand-by natural gas electric generator, and it would only be about 1 to 3 % of the total cost of a new house.

Quote Originally Posted by farmall86
    Quote Originally Posted by farmall806
    I was checking the cost of a stand-by natural gas electric generator, and it would only be about 1 to 3 % of the total cost of a new house.
    It is really a sad state of affairs when people want the government to regulate us even more than they already do now.
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    The course laid down long before.
    And so with gods and men
    The sheep remain inside their pen,
    Though many times they've seen the way to leave.

I spent a lot of time taking photographs. I also went out to eat a lot and went to a concert at the Riviera Theater on Saturday night, the power never went off there. The following picture is the railroad viaduct on Parkside Avenue heading north just past Amherst Street.

Parkside Bridge
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    The course laid down long before.
    And so with gods and men
    The sheep remain inside their pen,
    Though many times they've seen the way to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by DelawareDistrict
    It is really a sad state of affairs when people want the government to regulate us even more than they already do now.
    I look at it as plain common sense to have a stand-by electric generator. When a power outtage happens like it did recently, people are complaining that they don't have power and want to know when it will return. But, when someone suggests that Government REQUIRE a stand by electric generator for all new build construction, people complain about Government regulation!

Quote Originally Posted by ceglia
    Uhm...that was certainly worth saying three times, or, oh sorry...turrets?

Tourettes
    The evil hide even when no one is chasing them.- Proverbs

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information