Thread: Wonder where the votes come from: and taxes go

Wonder where the votes come from: and taxes go

In the average Lancaster Election, whether its a Supervisor or Council Member election/re-appointment year - the total vote count ends between 3000 - 3500+/-.

• There were 3,268 (16.1%) of Lancaster Residents are Government workers, that number has grown.
    • 1,087 (5%) "Public Administration" workers.
    • 4,444 Educational,health and social services workers. 21.9% of our residents.
    • Over 2700 residents work full time and earn less in wages than a Part time Town Board Member and other Town Employees make.
    A Lancaster Town Council Member receives about $18,000.00 a year(plus tax funded benefits & pension credits) for about ten hours a month - part time position.

While according to past census info, the Mean (average) retirement income for a Lancaster Resident is about $14,230.00 a year.

The average Lancaster full time Town tax funded employee makes over
    $45-50,000.00+/- a year plus tax funded pension and tax funded benefits.

Some Town Board Members and other Town Employees will actually collect - not one -
    but two tax funded state pensions. Some like Council Member Stempniak will collect a tax funded NYS Pension while still collecting Town Board and other compensation.

Some like Supervisor Bob Giza collect Town tax funded salary, tax funded benefits and Tax funded NYS Pension credits, cash benefits from the Boys and Girls Club and Compensation from the numerous Boards and Committees as well as Town titles he carries - all tax funded.

Most Town Board Members have more than one source of personal income.(This does not include their spouses)! Some have three and even four or more monthly sources of personal income - mostly tax funded and many include NYS State tax funded retirement credits.

Our most recent Town Board agenda contained more new "Patronage Jobs" - all are tax funded and some will entitle the "Party Appointees" to receive tax funded benefits and tax funded NYS Retirement Credits.

Your Lancaster Property tax at "Work"
    But thats what you Voted for!

#Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Who really cares .... win (sweep) the 2011 election and make some changes. Where the hell are govt workers and teachers supposed to live? There money goes back into the economy. Maybe we can cut down on some of these numbers, but our community is not atypical. Let's stop worrying about the "patronage", "tax funded pensions, (because all govt pensions are tax funded)", lets come up with a great well thought out campaign platform. Things like better planning, promises of open govt, thinks that are pro active. There is much to be done. Get the energy moving in a positive manner.

Thumbs up

I like your positive views. Way to go! Competition is a great challenge and opportunity for change!

Invest in Buffalo-Niagara!

Not a campaign manager,but you are correct!

[quote=Crazy Ivan;593145 lets come up with a great well thought out campaign platform. Things like better planning, promises of open govt, thinks that are pro active. There is much to be done. Get the energy moving in a positive manner.[/quote]

First I agree we need new candidates with clear agendas and platforms. I believe we also need to educate the uninformed so they understand what we are up against in this Town.

We can support any candidate we want, but if they are under funded, if the voters don't unite and vote - what then.

Voters need facts and information from which they can draw their own conclusions. So far Lancaster has been lacking in both, information and new voters.

I do not control or influence any party or campaign, other than what I write and those I contribute to. What do you suggest we do and how? Good post - now lets run with it. I'll help any way I can.

Ivan,

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
    Who really cares .... win (sweep) the 2011 election and make some changes. Where the hell are govt workers and teachers supposed to live? There money goes back into the economy. Maybe we can cut down on some of these numbers, but our community is not atypical. Let's stop worrying about the "patronage", "tax funded pensions, (because all govt pensions are tax funded)", lets come up with a great well thought out campaign platform. Things like better planning, promises of open govt, thinks that are pro active. There is much to be done. Get the energy moving in a positive manner.
    I am on board, when do we begin?

4248 wrote: In the average Lancaster Election, whether it’s a Supervisor or Council Member election/re-appointment year - the total vote count ends between 3000 - 3500+/-.
    • There were 3,268 (16.1%) of Lancaster Residents are Government workers, that number has grown.
    • 1,087 (5%) "Public Administration" workers.
    • 4,444 Educational,health and social services workers. 21.9% of our residents.
    • Over 2700 residents work full time and earn less in wages than a Part time Town Board Member and other Town Employees make.
    Not that I doubt your information 4248, but where did you draw it from?

Crazy Ivan wrote: Let's stop worrying about the "patronage", "tax funded pensions, (because all govt pensions are tax funded)", lets come up with a great well thought out campaign platform.
    Sorry Ivan, but those patronage tax funded pensions and generous health care benefits are a major reason for the high taxes we pay. And when you consider that the lowest paying job in town (clerk) is $40,000, the salaries aren’t too bad either. Replacing Party members and saying let’s not worry about the new guys screwing the public is not my idea of making positive change.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Not that I doubt your information 4248, but where did you draw it from?

I used census info a couple years old - I didnt want to "Over State" so I toned it down a bit. If you have a more recent accurrate site please help me out.

Thanks

LC posted; "Sorry Ivan, but those patronage tax funded pensions and generous health care benefits are a major reason for the high taxes we pay. And when you consider that the lowest paying job in town (clerk) is $40,000, the salaries aren’t too bad either. Replacing Party members and saying let’s not worry about the new guys screwing the public is not my idea of making positive change.
    Totally Agree with what Lee said.

Lee, I agree with part of what you say. Why does Lancaster pay a rec laborer almost 50k that is crazy. That wouldnt happen in Florida or other places. We need t fight the small battles first, chabging the pension system will never happen. Cutting man power in departments is more likely a better stategy.....baby steps first. Make government leaner..... Cut mid management.... maybe not so many foremen in highway... use more technology.... there are ways of doing things incrementaly. The change or acceptance of a new tier at the state level should provide some long term help. After you take over town hall then look to other offices (state/county) to take down. Small steps in the revolution. You have tired incumbents in 2011 they are vulnerable... keep up the attack..... combining forces with splinter groups is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
    Lee, I agree with part of what you say. Why does Lancaster pay a rec laborer almost 50k that is crazy. That wouldnt happen in Florida or other places. We need t fight the small battles first, chabging the pension system will never happen. Cutting man power in departments is more likely a better stategy.....baby steps first. Make government leaner..... Cut mid management.... maybe not so many foremen in highway... use more technology.... there are ways of doing things incrementaly. The change or acceptance of a new tier at the state level should provide some long term help. After you take over town hall then look to other offices (state/county) to take down. Small steps in the revolution. You have tired incumbents in 2011 they are vulnerable... keep up the attack..... combining forces with splinter groups is a good idea.
    There is no question that the status quo has to change in Lancaster. The arrogance of the one Party political system in Lancaster has been flawed for years and has served the best interests of friends, developers and special interests for years.

In another thread it was stated that all the splinter groups that have broached the board on personal issues unite in an effort to rid the town of our elected political leaders. That was attempted years ago and over time the group got smaller and smaller because of members aging and/or only committed to their agendas. Go to a Town Board meeting and see how many people attend; after election time more like from three to five. People don’t walk the talk.

Concerning salaries and benefits, town employees are well compensated but you won’t hear that from them or the union reps. Supervisor Giza was the only one who took to task a union rep at a work session when he made known that the recent contract negotiated was more than fair concerning what was happening in the private sector. It was more than generous as been the case for many years. Please keep in mind that the town negotiates the contracts with the town’s four employee unions regarding salaries and health benefits. They have created a compensation package that is expensive and demanding of taxpayers. Why would the town not be generous to the employees when they share in the compensation and get votes out of it as well.

As for the retirement system, another tier has been created and will bring some relief to the system. Even the state recognizes that the system is flawed and that taxpayers are getting screwed. But take a look at all the perks town employees get – longevity pay, insurance stipends, overtime abuse, clothing allowances, days off, etc.; mucho dollars there.

The arrogance of the Democratic Party was not only demonstrated by their recent appoints but by examining the appointments made over the past decade on Town, Planning and Zoning Boards.

The town already is experiencing flooding/drainage/sewer/traffic issues that have resulted from dumb growth principles that did accommodate for the growth. Add to that putting a sanitary sewer line in a creek, allowing development to take place on “isolated” wetlands without provision for future structural integrity, etc. It is still disturbing to hear the MRC declare only “small to moderate” impacts are associated with a project at SEQR. How many of these small to moderates equal a significant?

In two months it will be seven years since the town and village police forces merged and the Walden Avenue building was purchased. Outside of housing the detective squad and used for storage, the building sits as it was and off the tax rolls. The police Nike Base facility is a disgrace. The $2.3 million Town Hall expansion project is under way. The town is looking to put in more soccer fields. The town gets grants for everything and anything. Does the town have its priorities in place? Whose best interests are being served? Do we need change? You betcha!

owrah owrah

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    There is no question that the status quo has to change in Lancaster. The arrogance of the one Party political system in Lancaster has been flawed for years and has served the best interests of friends, developers and special interests for years.

In another thread it was stated that all the splinter groups that have broached the board on personal issues unite in an effort to rid the town of our elected political leaders. That was attempted years ago and over time the group got smaller and smaller because of members aging and/or only committed to their agendas. Go to a Town Board meeting and see how many people attend; after election time more like from three to five. People don’t walk the talk.

Concerning salaries and benefits, town employees are well compensated but you won’t hear that from them or the union reps. Supervisor Giza was the only one who took to task a union rep at a work session when he made known that the recent contract negotiated was more than fair concerning what was happening in the private sector. It was more than generous as been the case for many years. Please keep in mind that the town negotiates the contracts with the town’s four employee unions regarding salaries and health benefits. They have created a compensation package that is expensive and demanding of taxpayers. Why would the town not be generous to the employees when they share in the compensation and get votes out of it as well.

As for the retirement system, another tier has been created and will bring some relief to the system. Even the state recognizes that the system is flawed and that taxpayers are getting screwed. But take a look at all the perks town employees get – longevity pay, insurance stipends, overtime abuse, clothing allowances, days off, etc.; mucho dollars there.

The arrogance of the Democratic Party was not only demonstrated by their recent appoints but by examining the appointments made over the past decade on Town, Planning and Zoning Boards.

The town already is experiencing flooding/drainage/sewer/traffic issues that have resulted from dumb growth principles that did accommodate for the growth. Add to that putting a sanitary sewer line in a creek, allowing development to take place on “isolated” wetlands without provision for future structural integrity, etc. It is still disturbing to hear the MRC declare only “small to moderate” impacts are associated with a project at SEQR. How many of these small to moderates equal a significant?

In two months it will be seven years since the town and village police forces merged and the Walden Avenue building was purchased. Outside of housing the detective squad and used for storage, the building sits as it was and off the tax rolls. The police Nike Base facility is a disgrace. The $2.3 million Town Hall expansion project is under way. The town is looking to put in more soccer fields. The town gets grants for everything and anything. Does the town have its priorities in place? Whose best interests are being served? Do we need change? You betcha!
    you guys rock. You have my vote!!! We do need to change the status quo and I am on board and telling every person I come in contact with that resides in Lancaster that has the capabilities to vote.

I have not kept up with the Reform that recently took place in the City of Buffalo, but know that a shake down did happen. How could that come into play here in Lancaster?

Thread Information