Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An Open Letter to Kim and Terry Pegula

An Open Letter to Kim and Terry Pegula

by Pat Freeman

The Buffalo Bills are now at the mid point of the 2016-2017 seasons, and the results are the same that they have been since the departure of the late John Butler in 2000-2001. This departure list also should include our last winning coach for this once proud franchise Wade Phillips who was chased out of town by the late owner Ralph Wilson. We now have new owners since 2014; Kim and Terry Pegula who I believe are still navigating their way through how to be successful at the NFL level. They have to realize the NFL is a very misleading business because all 32 teams make a profit, and are listed among the top sports franchises in the country. Read more...

www.thebuffalobullet.com

Unregistered
    Two famous Ralph Wilson quote's that are so true, #1 "Enjoy your Bills while you have them" and #2 "Even If I built a new Stadium, we don't have the market to support it because Buffalo's poor" and that was a few years ago, Buffalo's even a lot more poorer now and has lost a lot more population. Also the taxpayer's are going to have pay to upgrade the Hockey Arena soon at the 20 year old mark and at 30 years old, it will need to be replaced with a new arena
    Last edited by jennifer7; November 5th, 2016 at 05:09 PM.

Buffalo is NOT poorer now, you miscreant
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

If Buffalo isn't one of the poorest cities in the country then why am I always hearing about Buffalo having one of the highest poverty rates in America? Is someone just pulling our leg about that? Just asking.

THis is about a year old

America's 11 poorest cities

For all its apparent conveniences and perks, city living has never been easy or inexpensive. And income inequality is often most obvious in metropolitan areas.

U.S. Census Bureau data, cited by the Brookings Institution, found that the 50 largest American cities had significantly higher income gaps between rich and poor when compared to cities overall.

And in December, the Census Bureau released its Five-Year American Community Survey (ACS). It aims to assist in the annual distribution of over $400 billion in federal and state funds to communities across the country while supplying those districts with data they need to help plan municipal investments and services.

A California-based online research group, FindTheBest.com, used that ACS data to compile a list of the nation's 33 poorest cities.

Here are the 11 poorest cities on that list.

11: Louisville, KY
    10: Boston, MA
    9: Indianapolis, IN
    8: El Paso, TX
    7: Fresno, CA
    6: Baltimore, MD
    5: Tuscon, AZ - Go figure
    4: Memphis, TN
    3: Philadelphia, PA
    2: Milwaukee, WI
    1: Detroit, MI

Shockingly, no, Buffalo is NOT one of the poorest cities
    HipKat's Blog

In 2014 over 30% of Buffalo's population lived in poverty, trailing only Cleveland & Detroit. The problem in looking at the disparity between a city's high income earners and low income earners is that some cities there may not be tons of high income jobs to produce high income earners to create the disparity. The % of people living in poverty speaks for itself.

You can't just pinpoint the city of Buffalo in itself when Buffalo is a somewhat unique area that is a region comprising all of the immediate suburbs. That's why those stories that don't paint Buffalo they Trollifer wants to look at the Buffalo Region. Regardless of semantics, AMherst, Tonawanda's, etc ARE Buffalo and combined then no, 30% do not live in poverty.

And what does this have to do with the Bills?
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    Shockingly, no, Buffalo is NOT one of the poorest cities
    FWIWBuffalo is close to those lists and was recently as high as #3 on many of them. There are other lists, like this one, that do list Buffalo. They also list other NFL cities like Detroit, Cleveland, Cleveland and Miami. Should be noted that the list the you posted also includes Boston, Indianapolis, Baltimore and Philadelphia. That's 8 NFL cities over two lists.

It doesn't. Well morons, like the resident idiot in the sandbox, might want to suggest a connection but there is not one. The reason is the 'poorest' cities is defined by just the % of people who live in poverty, as well as, just those that live inside of the city lines. It's why Boston makes some lists for poorest cities while suburbs like Newton and Cambridge top the list for richest.

It's click bait BS......

As for the race baiter and his issues for the Bills owners and how they are not doing this enough. He asks why have the Bills not made an effort to create programs to save young men and I am assuming he is asking about young black men. I would like to know that in the long history of the Buffalo Bills making black men millionaires...why have so few given back their wealth to the very community that made them so rich?

...which brings me to my post last month about Colin Kaepernick....
    HipKat's Blog

...which brings me to my post last month about Colin Kaepernick....
    Don't recall. What was the gist?

You can't just pinpoint the city of Buffalo in itself when Buffalo is a somewhat unique area that is a region comprising all of the immediate suburbs. That's why those stories that don't paint Buffalo they Trollifer wants to look at the Buffalo Region. Regardless of semantics, AMherst, Tonawanda's, etc ARE Buffalo and combined then no, 30% do not live in poverty.

Actually, I can pinpoint the city of Buffalo because it's a separate municipal corporation and Amherst, Tonawanda are not Buffalo. Buffalo is unique because it has immediate suburbs? Really? You need to get out of town more!

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Actually, I can pinpoint the city of Buffalo because it's a separate municipal corporation and Amherst, Tonawanda are not Buffalo. Buffalo is unique because it has immediate suburbs? Really? You need to get out of town more!

You missed the point Grump.

Let me explain it to you this way using a comparison of Buffalo and Charlotte...

The City of Buffalo has a population of about 260,000 over a landmass of 40.6 sq miles, which is a density of 6,403 per square mile.
    Buffalo is in Erie County, and Erie county has a population of 920,000 over 1,043 sq miles, which is a density of 882 per square mile.
    The metro area for Buffalo also includes just two counties; Erie and Niagara. It has a population of about 1.13 million over 1,600 sq miles. Which is a density of 706 people per square mile.

The City of Charlotte has a population of about 809,958 over a landmass of 297.7 sq miles, which is a density of 2,720 per square mile.
    Charlotte is in Mecklenburg County, and Mecklenburg County has a population of 1,034,070 over 524 sq miles, which is a density of 1973 per square mile.
    The metro area for Charlotte includes 7 counties and has a population of 2,537,990 over 3,149 sq miles. Which is a density of 805 people per square mile.

The challenge with the above is the 'metro area' because while Charlotte gets to county connecting states, Buffalo does not get to county Southern Ontario. If you apply the Regional Municipality of Niagara, that only adds 715.93 sq miles but also adds a population of 431,346. If you include Hamilton Ontario, you add another 431.32 sq miles but also add another 520,000. So the combined metro area of Erie County, Niagara County, Niagara Ontario and Hamilton Ontario is 2747 square miles and has a population of 2,081,346 or 757 people per square mile.

Buffalo is unique because some of its 'suburbs' are a part of a different country. It also has some 'suburbs' that are in a different state. Erie PA is just as far from Buffalo as many of the towns and cities that Charlotte counts. This matters because teams like the Bills and the NFL does not look at 'areas' the same as the US Census bureau does.

Then compare the city of Buffalo with the city of Charlotte and leave the rest out. There is nothing unique about Buffalo. El Paso, Tx has an urban area that straddles an international border. NYC has a border that straddles 3 states and Portland Or. has an urban area that reaches into the state of Washington. What is the poverty rate in the city of Charlotte and how does it compare to the city of Buffalo? Someone said Buffalo is not poorer and I responded by saying that Buffalo is one of the poorest cities in America. If you want to talk about the region then don't attribute regional statistics to the city.

No, actually, YOU need to get out of town more. Let's just take NY State. Rochester has suburbs like Buffalo, Greece, etc but Syracuse and Albany do not. And since I was trucker for 15 years, and have been to every state except Oregon, I can tell you that most cities do NOT have the type of suburbs that Buffalo does.
    HipKat's Blog

Then compare the city of Buffalo with the city of Charlotte and leave the rest out.
    They are not comparable. That's the point you are missing.

If you combine Buffalo with Amherst, Clarence, Cheektowaga, Tonawanda, Kenmore, West Seneca, Orchard Park and Hamburg you would have a city with the landmass of 299.96 square miles and a population of 720,000. About the same size as Charlotte in landmass.

The above city would be the 18th largest city in the United States, right behind Charlotte. It would be bigger than Seattle, Denver and El Paso. Bigger than DC, Boston, Portland, Las Vegas and Atlanta.

What you're not able to grasp is the big picture. Don't be a moron like the troll and stick to small figures like the size of the COB.

Places are different. In WNY things are broken up. Erie County has 30 school districts, 3 cities, 25 towns and 16 villages. Charlotte has 1 school district, 1 city and 8 towns. Comparing the two is stupid.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information