Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Eggertsville Area.

Jackie, you are wasting time trying to convince Stakeholder that the police are doing what they can specifically in the Allenhurst area. Allenhurst has always been housing which has been inexpensive with the exception of the 1960's and early 70's when UB used it for student housing. It seems that Stakeholder will never change his opinions of the APD no matter what anyone says.

Until he needs them!

Quote Originally Posted by The Constable
    Jackie, you are wasting time trying to convince Stakeholder that the police are doing what they can specifically in the Allenhurst area. Allenhurst has always been housing which has been inexpensive with the exception of the 1960's and early 70's when UB used it for student housing. It seems that Stakeholder will never change his opinions of the APD no matter what anyone says.
    The police are doing what they can in the Allenhurst area? What exactly is that? They respond to numerous call. Good. Bravo. Hooray. That's it. How about going above and beyond what's expected and actually exceeded people's expectations. Obviously, a different crime characteristic is beginning in Amherst. It's starting in the A;llenhurst area. I expect the police to respond to calls, yes. But I also expect them to protect the character of the neighborhood. Or, I imagine that the police should just admit that they cannot do it. They (the APD) are losing the Allenhurst area battle because they are unwilling and/or unable to address the type of problem that exists. It's new to them. I understand that. Get help if theyt don't know what to do. Excuses are unbecoming for a Police department that likes to be considered "elite" (which I believe they do).

When they get an Allenhurst area call (like the one a few nights ago... and well before the 10/13 storm) about a gang of kids smoking pot on the corner of Yale and the offcer responds in a reasonably quick time frame and radios back theat they are not on the corner and I'm not going to take the time to look for them they could be anywhere... and then goes on a "barking dog" call (on Westfield, IIRC)? Does that sound like a real concern for the Allenhurst area to you? "Barking Dog" vs. "Drug Activity" "Allenhurst vs. Westfield"

Quote Originally Posted by nomomo
    Until he needs them!
    Yes, it's true. I've been glad I haven't needed them. And, yes, if I do, I will expect them to be responsive. That is their job. Why shouldn't I expect that they will do their job? But are you saying that I shouldn't complain about an obvious shortcoming? Just because they APD does part(s) of their job well, doesn't mean they get a free pass on EVERYTHING. Who enjoys that luxury in the real world? Ap[parently, you think the APD should. Hollywood is the only place that sort of thing happens.

Quote Originally Posted by |- Amherst Stakeholder -|
    It's a lot prettier to work in a white upper middle class non low income project environment. Not sure why you even brought that aspect up... but since you raised the characteristics, I believe it's fair game to comment further about it. (You probably shouldn't have even raised those elements. IMO)
    Did I say that??? I think that you believe crime is rampant at those two HUD housing complexes because the majority of those who live in those areas are minorities and it upsets you. You don't see those folks who are living there day to day that are law abiding citizens and want their children to grow up successful. It is you that sees them as a criminal element and not me, and review my previous blogs and yours to justify my statements. I don't hear you pointing out the other streets in the area such as Windemere, Springville or Callodine, just the Allenhurst and Princeton apartments, which are predominantly occupied by minorities.

You made that stupid statement about the work environment of the Amherst Police but I guarentee you that you are afraid of anyone that is not of your own race, yet accuse others of your own bigotries. APD deals with people from all walks of life, all races and creeds and displays the professionalism that they are noted for. You have no idea what they encounter every day. Rich or poor, people can be idiots and you prove that point time and again.

Go back to your scanner, window and those daytime soap operas. I am tired of trying to point out the obvious truths to you, which you seem to completely disregard. Now I know why the Communicator takes those pot shots at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Stecchino
    Did I say that???
    Yes, you did indeed bring up that aspect

white upper middle class and didn't reside in a low income project.
    I guarentee you that you are afraid of anyone that is not of your own race...
    Jackie, since you believe you know so much about me, how about posting my race, my father's race and my best friend's race. Go ahead. Post it. And then post exactly how afraid I am of certain people. Go ahead post those things. You do know thosed things, right? Or were you just spouting things that you think you know?

Stakeholder I know nothing about you and frankly it's none of my business. You seem to assume that unless you hear it on the scanner it's not going on.

I can assure you that hundreds of hours of surveillance have been conducted in the area you are complaining about specifically in the area of narcotics enforcement. I know of several search warrants that were executed; drug buys that were made, and felony drug arrest which resulted in prison sentences. A lot of that activity never makes the newspaper or is broadcast on the radio in the clear. APD has all the newest communication devices like Nextel which keeps surveillance units in touch with one another.

That barking dog call the officer left to cover is just as important as kids smoking pot; imagine a prowler causing that dog to bark or perhaps the house being burglarized next door to the animal.

I don't agree with your assessment of the Amherst Police Department but it has become obvious that no amount of activity by the Patrol Division will ever be enough for you. Officers from the Patrol Force have made Felony arrest from car stops of vehicle leaving the Allenhurst area when there was probable cause to make a car stop. These arrest included drugs, weapons including handguns, and felony warrants.

The APD is pro-active in the area from Niagara Falls Blvd. to Bailey Avenue every shift. Like I stated before, I don't know you but you are entitled to you opinion and I to mine.

... hundreds of hours of surveillance have been conducted in the area ... narcotics enforcement ... several search warrants executed ... drug buys that were made, and felony drug arrest which resulted in prison sentences ... kids smoking pot... felony arrest from car stops of vehicle leaving the Allenhurst area ... drugs ... weapons including handguns, and felony warrants.
    I'm sure that there's is all this and more. That's my point. The APD is unwilling and/or unable to get this under control. Remember it's just a two block complex that is effecting the entire area. Where else in Amherst is there that much criminal activity centered on two blocks (residential)?

The APD is pro-active in the area from Niagara Falls Blvd. to Bailey Avenue every shift. Like I stated before, I don't know you but you are entitled to you opinion and I to mine.
    I fully recognize that the APD is in the area every shift. But do we not pay for them to get the job done? Why should such high crimninal activity on a regular basis be tolerated in Eggertsville? Why don't they step up to the plate and achieve?

Yes sir it is accually a three block area which along with 54 square miles is patrolled and policed by 146 officers due to retirements and failing to hire more officers. They do the job and do achieve results everyday.

When gang graffitti began showing up in Allenhurst APD turned to the Buffalo PD gang expert to help them understand the meaning of the markings. Along with the staff from the complex the graffitti was removed and the gang members identified. Everytime a search warrant was executed the tennants, if drugs were found, were evicted.

Peterson also owns subsidized housing in Creekwoods and Audubon. The same thing applies to those areas. You see there are things being done without the knowledge of the public all under the command of Chief Moslow.

Yes sir it is accually a three block area which along with 54 square miles is patrolled and policed by 146 officers due to retirements and failing to hire more officers. They do the job and do achieve results everyday.

When gang graffitti began showing up in Allenhurst APD turned to the Buffalo PD gang expert to help them understand the meaning of the markings. Along with the staff from the complex the graffitti was removed and the gang members identified. Everytime a search warrant was executed the tennants, if drugs were found, were evicted.

Peterson also owns subsidized housing in Creekwoods and Audubon. The same thing applies to those areas. You see there are things being done without the knowledge of the public all under the command of Chief Moslow.
    So let's guess that 1/3 of the officers aren't available for work for some reason (sick, playing hooky, court, desk duty, vacation, other detail, etc). That leaves about 100, right? That would be 4,000 man hours available to cover 168 hours each week. With three shifts, that means that there should be about 24 officers available at any given time... or, on average, one officer for every 2.3 square miles at any given time.

How big is the area from NFB/Kenmore-Main/Bailey/Longmeadow?

If staffing was increased by, say, 25%, that would provide 183 officers... and would yield 4,831 man hours available... or 29 officers at any given time... ... ... one officer per 1.9 square miles.

How big is the area from NFB/Kenmore-Main/Bailey/Longmeadow?

I really dont think increasing staffing levels is going to make or break the APD's effectiveness. Better management and execution would stand a better chance of making the area better.

Yes sir it is accually a three block area ...
    No. You obviously are not even familiar with the area.

The Allenhurst projects run along Allenhurst from Longmeadow to Yale (that's one block) and then from Yale to Oxford (that's a second block). They also have some units located on Longmeadow, Yale and Oxford... but do NOT amount to a full block. It is essentially a two block complex.
    Last edited by |- Amherst Stakeholder -|; October 27th, 2006 at 10:18 AM.

Silly me counting Yale, Oxford, and Longmeadow........ I guess you're right those three 1/3 blocks don't make up a block. I am very familiar with the area I grew up on Capen.

I guess we can agree to disagree........ I think the APD is doing everything it can to stem the tide; you obviously don't. I will agree with you on one point that Allenhurst has brought down property values in the immediate area and no amount of policing can change that.

I think the APD is doing everything it can to stem the tide; you obviously don't. I will agree with you on one point that Allenhurst has brought down property values in the immediate area and no amount of policing can change that.
    Not 'everything it *can*'... everything it *wants to*. Big difference.

You actually think that ridding Allenhurst of criminal activity would not make the area more desireable... and therefore (based on supply & demand) higher property values? You actually think that the amount of criminal activity and property value are not connected in any manner? You actually think that policing cannot effect the amount of criminal activity? You actually think that policing is ineffective?

And, why no comment on the staffing issue and size of the NFB/Kenmore-Main/Bailey/Longmeadow area?

What I actually think is that the police are doing everything they can; on that point I believe we will never agree. To think that the Department is only doing what it wants to; again we don't agree on that either. As far as property values; be it real or preceived that fact is that people are going to think what the wish no matter what the condition of an area is.

An example of this is to this day Creekwoods in the northwest section of town is still refered to by the residents as "Looney Acres". No amount of policing can change the way people preceive an area. Does criminal activity effect property values, absolutely.... I believe we agree on that . Can the police effectively control criminal activity; I believe I have given instances here before where the are trying to but policing is an on going work in progress and changes constantly as conditions change.

You obviously are a long time resident; remember when Allenhurst was owned by UB and the students lived there. Parties every night. Now the department is addressing that same problem at the housing across from Sweet Home High School which is the residence for UB students.

I do believe that APD can clean up Allenhurst, they are trying the best they can however no amount of proof I have presented has changed your opinion. Yes policing is effective, imagine what things would be without the current police activity; again on point which we do not agree on.
    I also believe that APD "wants to" keep all the town under control and it is my opinion they are doing just that; again a point we can disagree on.

The manpower issue is complex and I have posted in the past on that subject. APD is under staffed; I wish to leave it at that.

What I actually think is that the police are doing everything they can; on that point I believe we will never agree. To think that the Department is only doing what it wants to; again we don't agree on that either. As far as property values; be it real or preceived that fact is that people are going to think what the wish no matter what the condition of an area is.

I do believe that APD can clean up Allenhurst, they are trying the best they can however no amount of proof I have presented has changed your opinion. Yes policing is effective, imagine what things would be without the current police activity; again on point which we do not agree on.
    I also believe that APD "wants to" keep all the town under control and it is my opinion they are doing just that; again a point we can disagree on.

The manpower issue is complex and I have posted in the past on that subject. APD is under staffed; I wish to leave it at that.
    The APD *cannot* do anything more at Allenhurst? You can't be serious! It's amazing how they find loopholes in other matters (like speeding on Carmen, or drug activity on Donna Lea, or 'gangs' on Shadowwood, or parking on Joliet, or burglaries on North Forest, for example) to 'get the job done'... but not at Allenhurst. This suggests to me that there's something different about Allenhurst... maybe the political power of the owner and the management of the APD. I believe it *can* be stepped up a few notches... if the APD wanted to. Tell me that the APD could not apply pressure to Peterson about it's tenants if the APD wanted to. Of course they could. There was a prior statement that Peterson has private security at Allenhust. That's false. The APD could most certainly *encourage* Peterson to do that. Admit it, the police have many tools at their disposal that they are not using in the Allenhurst preoblem.

You claim that the APD is keeping control of crime in the whole town. They are not in control of criminal activity at allenhurst... they react and sweep up. That's not controlling anything. There has been woefully little undercover work at Allenhurst in the past two years or so. It isn't because drug activity has slowed in fact, from an observers position like mine it has either increased and/or gotten more bold. The APD obviously cannot keep up. How about the open display of firearms at allenhurst... it's been on the increase over the past months/years. Where's the APD control about that?

"Control" is not 'reacting-after-the-fact'.

I do not want to pay simply for someone "trying their best"... I pay for effedctive results. The crime rate on those two blocks should be lowered - by the APD - to that of any other two blocks in the area. Period. Why not?

Nobody can say they are understaffed until they demonstrate that they have attempted to re-engineer and there is no alternative. I do not believe that APD management has done that yet.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information