Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Eggertsville Area.

Quote Originally Posted by 1964
    cost of the beer stolen (wholesale): $ 2.80
    Cost of the time the cops spent on the case: $1,648.00
    Whatever the cost for safety of a 6 pack of beer!
    It's still a crime. And a crime solved is 5 more prevented by exposure. Where's Window Stalker now? Armed robbery in Eggertsville at 7:15 pm on Thursday and within a few hrs they arrested 2 and were looking for another.

Quote Originally Posted by communicator
    It's still a crime. And a crime solved is 5 more prevented by exposure. Where's Window Stalker now? Armed robbery in Eggertsville at 7:15 pm on Thursday and within 4 hrs they arrested 2 and were looking for another.
    Some of these idiots operate on the premise that if you can't say something bad about somebody, don't say anything at all. Aren't we glad we don't know these people?

[QUOTE=1964]
    Quote Originally Posted by Surface Tension
    The head of the Unions and PD are most concerned with their paychecks and their unions than the cost to the town....it's so obvious. If cops really gave a dan, they wouldn't sue for the piddly crap they are. Myself and my Lawyer love beating the APD for tickets... except the same cop keeps on getting double o/t everytime he shows up to court.

Silly cop - NO DONUT (except for the boogers on the ones you eat)!
    Haha!!!!
    That is some great logic in your statement. You flagrantly violate the law by your irresponsible behavior and you think that we should agree that the police were at fault for costing the town money in bringing you to court? It is you that is wasting the taxpayer’s money, not the police.
    I think you are full of *#@! in your boasting. When was the last time that you actually had a trial in Amherst? Amherst town court pleads the tickets out to a non-moving violation and few if any police officers are called for a trial. Someday you will take it too far and cause serious injury or the death of an innocent person. Then what??? But I am preaching to a fool who thinks he is above the law. Society can do without people like you and so can this blog.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    Exactly how many officers are there currently?
    There are approximately 155 sworn officers for 116,000 residents. The national average for 2003 is 1.9 officers per 1000 for towns of 100,000 to 249,000 which would be about 220 officers for the population of Amherst. So Amherst is operating 65 officers below the national average of a town its size. As communicator stated, reducing it to the levels proposed by the Supervisor will reduce the police department to assume a reactive role not having the personnel on the street to be a proactive department.

A question I have of Communicator, how many manhours were performed by the Amherst Police during the emergency situation in town and how much of it was overtime required to ensure public safety vs the normal work week. I am sure that routine investigations were put on hold during this period, yet still didn't have enough officers to cover all the intersections, response to calls of assistance or providing crime fighting duties.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Stecchino
    ...reducing it to the levels proposed by the Supervisor will reduce the police department to assume a reactive role not having the personnel on the street to be a proactive department.
    This would resuilt in no change for the APD's approach to Allenhurst. They already proudly (but barely) operate in a reactive mode. If they operate differently in different parts of Amherst, that does noting other than support the observation that the APD is ignoring Eggertsville to some degree.

I think the Amherst Police are not all bad. But to claim that they have done all they can (or should) in the area bordered by NFB/Main-Kenmore/Bailey/longmeadow would be pure folly. As I've stated before, the finite number of police officers is not so much the key to the issue... it is in the management/deployment of the existing resources. I do not believe that the APD excels in that regard. It's a management issue at this point.

...Armed robbery in Eggertsville at 7:15 pm on Thursday and within a few hrs they arrested 2 and were looking for another.
    So, I take it that you are trying to say that the APD has filled some 'Eggertsville crime solving quota'? Is that what you are saying? Because they did an (alleged) good job on one (alleged) case, they can slide on others? Is that what you are saying?

The point is that the police are well aware of the crime problems resident at MJ Peterson's Allenhurst and Preinceton Apartment projects... yet they are obviously unable or unwilling to get tough and get rid of it. Frankly, I think that project management has some assumed power over the APD. It really is the only generally logical explanation for the APD's behavior with respect to Allenhurst. APD leadership is tight with the GOP... moreso than the Dems. Peterson leadership is very powerful in the GOP. I'd imagine there could be some goings on involving those relationshiops. Strong implications. You bet.

It's still a crime. And a crime solved is 5 more prevented by exposure. Where's Window Stalker now? Armed robbery in Eggertsville at 7:15 pm on Thursday and within a few hrs they arrested 2 and were looking for another.
    WhoopDeeDo. And they did a good job tracking down the intox driver in the blue Saab that left Dandelions and headed home to The Paddock a few nights ago too. Good job indeed.

But these good events do not exclude them from bearing criticism for the things they are unwilling and/or unable to resolve (I.E. Allenhurst).

Face it, Allenhurst is Amherst's haven-for-crime. The police know it. The criminals know it. Why shouldn't the APD be more aggressive in getting rid of that condition? Does it have anything to do with the assumed power of Allenhurst management/ownership? Does it have anything to do with the fact that they characteristics of Allenhurst-based criminal activitiy is considerably different that that of any other in the APD's jurisdiction?

Quote Originally Posted by granpabob
    did you exspect an all points man hunt over a six pack of red dog an no weapon shown. maybe they should put up road blocks and question everyone. for a crime like that they write a report and go for another tim hortons
    No. I do not expect an all point bulleting.

The point that I found interesting was that the immediate direction from NoCo/Jolly Jug was Allenhurst. THat tells me that the cops know full well that Alenhurst is a haven for criminal activity/element that they only addressed when theyt absolutely have to. There was no comment about heading over to Northtown Plaza. Nope. They assumed that the logical place a robber would go would be Allenhurst. Why? Because they KNOW DAMN WELL that Allenhurst is a problem area.

They should be addressing it proactively... not reactively. I expect that to be part of their job.

The amazing Carnac

I haven't read any of this thread, but I'd like to be so bold as to summarize it:

I bought a house many years ago. It was cheap because it was near the Projects. Now, I want to sell it, and I'm pissed that the prices are low because it's near the Projects.

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    I haven't read any of this thread, but I'd like to be so bold as to summarize it:

I bought a house many years ago. It was cheap because it was near the Projects. Now, I want to sell it, and I'm pissed that the prices are low because it's near the Projects.
    Well thank you Johnny! You hit it on the head. Plus the fact that no one is really sure if Windowstalker(Stakeholder) actually lives in Eggertsville or use to live there. He's said both. He's also said he sits in his front window for 10 hrs a day and NEVER sees a cop. Probably because he's looking into his neighbors windows.

Quote Originally Posted by |- Amherst Stakeholder -|
    So, I take it that you are trying to say that the APD has filled some 'Eggertsville crime solving quota'? Is that what you are saying? Because they did an (alleged) good job on one (alleged) case, they can slide on others? Is that what you are saying?

The point is that the police are well aware of the crime problems resident at MJ Peterson's Allenhurst and Preinceton Apartment projects... yet they are obviously unable or unwilling to get tough and get rid of it. Frankly, I think that project management has some assumed power over the APD. It really is the only generally logical explanation for the APD's behavior with respect to Allenhurst. APD leadership is tight with the GOP... moreso than the Dems. Peterson leadership is very powerful in the GOP. I'd imagine there could be some goings on involving those relationshiops. Strong implications. You bet.
    Again, there is more coverage in Eggertsville than in ANY other part of town. And it is the preferred area to patrol of most of the officers. As for solving a serious crime in a matter of hours, I would think you would be ecstatic over the results. You bitched and moaned because that huge crime of fireworks use on the fourth of July was allegedly ignored for hours.
    As for Allenhurst, the dept. knows its a problem, the coverage numbers prove that. And MJ Peterson must know it's a problem, they have a security officer working the streets there. But there are other problem areas that need attention too. Creekwoods, a.k.a. Looney Acres, Snyder, and the Village. Hell, there have probably been more burglaries in the Village than anywhere else in town. Active, proactive, and reactive policing is the only way to stop these crimes. And it takes bodies. The chief wasn't asking for 10,12, or 15 officers. He was asking to replace the ones that retired.
    Last edited by communicator; October 24th, 2006 at 04:01 PM.

A question I have of Communicator, how many manhours were performed by the Amherst Police during the emergency situation in town and how much of it was overtime required to ensure public safety vs the normal work week. I am sure that routine investigations were put on hold during this period, yet still didn't have enough officers to cover all the intersections, response to calls of assistance or providing crime fighting duties.
    Detectives were back in uniform performing other duties. Such as evacuations of the elderly, welfare checks, manning signals, delivering medical supplies, working in the command center, and transporting medical personell. Many of them used their own vehicles. I don't know how many man hours were used but I believe all were required to work 12 hr shifts. The reason, IMO, that the driving ban was needed was to free up officers from directing traffic at EVERY signal so they could save lives. They transported thousands(?) of seniors to shelters and checked on countless others.

Quote Originally Posted by |- Amherst Stakeholder -|
    This would resuilt in no change for the APD's approach to Allenhurst. They already proudly (but barely) operate in a reactive mode. If they operate differently in different parts of Amherst, that does noting other than support the observation that the APD is ignoring Eggertsville to some degree.

I think the Amherst Police are not all bad. But to claim that they have done all they can (or should) in the area bordered by NFB/Main-Kenmore/Bailey/longmeadow would be pure folly. As I've stated before, the finite number of police officers is not so much the key to the issue... it is in the management/deployment of the existing resources. I do not believe that the APD excels in that regard. It's a management issue at this point.
    You really should participate in the Amherst Police citizen's police academy so you would know what you are talking about and would be less likely to show your ignorance. That was recommended to Mohan as well, but he too decided he knew better. Come to think of it, he may have cancelled it, so I guess you have an excuse.

You really should participate in the Amherst Police citizen's police academy so you would know what you are talking about and would be less likely to show your ignorance. That was recommended to Mohan as well, but he too decided he knew better. Come to think of it, he may have cancelled it, so I guess you have an excuse.
    Previous supervisors Tom Ahearn and Susan Grelick participated in the Police Academy. But Mohan doesn't need it. Actually, Mohan has a "thing" about the police. An Indian friend told me that police are not well-respected ijn India, as they are here (or were here until Mohan came along.)

[QUOTE=Jackie Stecchino]
    Quote Originally Posted by 1964

That is some great logic in your statement. You flagrantly violate the law by your irresponsible behavior and you think that we should agree that the police were at fault for costing the town money in bringing you to court? It is you that is wasting the taxpayer’s money, not the police.
    I think you are full of *#@! in your boasting. When was the last time that you actually had a trial in Amherst? Amherst town court pleads the tickets out to a non-moving violation and few if any police officers are called for a trial. Someday you will take it too far and cause serious injury or the death of an innocent person. Then what??? But I am preaching to a fool who thinks he is above the law. Society can do without people like you and so can this blog.
    I don't know how it happened but I never made the quote you assigned to me. What's up with this site???? I never made the statement you quoted.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information