Thread: Term limits make sense in 1-party city

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Term limits make sense in 1-party city

Pulled from www.buffalo.com

Buffalo.com

Term limits make sense in 1-party city

2/6/2004

By DONN ESMONDE

Four words that constitute an irrefutable argument for mayoral term limits in Buffalo: Jimmy Griffin. Tony Masiello.
    Griffin ruled for 16 years, some better than others. But even backers conceded he devolved into a vindictive crank in his last two terms.

We've been subjected to Masiello's sub-mediocrity for 10 years (and counting), and there are signs that the driver with the passenger mind-set is gearing up for another go-round.

City lawmaker Joe Golombek, a progressive with a couple of college degrees, wants to stop the madness. Golombek wants to limit mayors to two four-year terms (and Council members to three terms). Golombek understands what anybody who looks closely knows: It's a one-party town where the mayor controls a patronage army of hundreds and can raise a million dollars from folks who do business (and want to keep doing business) with the city. Against that, it takes outright voter disgust to embolden competitors.

And it takes outright voter disgust to get the deep-pockets developers, contractors and attorneys who crave city contracts to make campaign contribution bets on a challenger. Unless it's a near-sure thing, they don't want to risk the ire of - and a freeze-out in city business from - a victorious incumbent by backing a competitor.

All of which means that the shelf life of even the most miserable mayor extends far beyond his expiration date.

That wouldn't matter much in a prosperous city. In Buffalo, it's crippling.

When Masiello's current third term ends, it'll mean Buffalo endured him and Griffin for nearly three decades. I wouldn't wish that on any municipality.

Forget the argument of a choice on Election Day. There is no second-party opposition. Republicans are barely a blip in a city where Democrats outnumber them nearly 6-to-1. The Republican Party has few philosophical moorings, as its local leader commonly barters the Republican line in the voting booth to a Democrat - usually the incumbent mayor - in return for jobs.

That's what happened last time, when civic leader Kevin Gaughan thought he had wrapped up the Republican line months before Election Day. Spooked by the challenge, a previously uninterested Masiello stepped in and - with then-ally Joel Giambra's backing - snatched away the endorsement.

Voters were furious when, weeks before Election Day, they found out the depth of the city's financial hole. But the only non-Masiello option was an ill, uninspiring lawmaker who hadn't had the money to mount a campaign.

We call that democracy?

All things being equal, I'd say let elections decide. But all things are so unequal that voters are left with little or no choice. When the system is this rigged, term limits are an equalizer. It's the only way to protect the people of a needy city from a prolonged reign of error - like this one.

Cases in point, just in the past year: It took an assemblyman, Brian Higgins, to slap the NFTA out of its 50-year slumber hold on the city's prime waterfront. Professionals worked thousands of hours on their own dime to craft a computer-based building codes and permits system that would speed downtown development; Masiello lets commissioner Ray McGurn stonewall the reform. The city squandered millions of dollars pipelined from Washington to help Buffalo help itself. And on and on.

Golombek probably doesn't have the Council votes to make term limits law. But he'll push for a referendum, to let the people decide.

That sounds right. We've seen enough. And taken far more than we should have.

e-mail: desmonde@buffnews.com

makes sense to me.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Golombek wants to limit mayors to two four-year terms (and Council members to three terms).

This I think, is a good idea. It seems the 'current' mayor has gotten so comfortable in his seat that he can not move on the important issues facing Buffalo. Instead of showing up for public appearences and ground-breaking ceremonies, he should too be working with the council to help the city.

sbGUY27
    This is one of those oxy-morons. You will only get another masi-a-hole after this one is gone.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    sad part is how much of a chance would you give the person who replaced the mayor? Think about the task of trying to make an efficient city when you have had 25 years of satus quo.

SO who in general are we thinking of replacing him with? Another 4 years of him will not help buffalo/WNY at all. Lok at hte results not what he'll promise come election time. Think about that for all the other lifer politicians.

T

the problem here is not "term limits". It's the people of buffalo who will vote for "incumbant democrat", even if his name is Charlie Manson...

And thats a result of having too many people being on the take of the Civil Service/Union/Welfare alliance...

That's why we have a control board.
    Data is not the plural of Anecdote.

That's what happened last time, when civic leader Kevin Gaughan thought he had wrapped up the Republican line months before Election Day. Spooked by the challenge, a previously uninterested Masiello stepped in and - with then-ally Joel Giambra's backing - snatched away the endorsement.

How do the citizens back a candidate that is not a part of either the Dem. or Rep. monster? How does someone have a chance or running let alone winning that does not have the backing of either of these parties in Buffalo?

That is what has to change- I just don't know how or what it would take. I think people have already gotten the message that something is terribly wrong with the system the way it is but HOW can you get a break-away candidate to stand their ground in the middle of all of this nonsense?

Party is to strong here. Families that have been in politics for generations rule the roost, almost like a dynasty. Republican or democrate, it dosen't matter.
    Political clubs are strong and each canididate seeks out thier support. Some of the stronger politicians have thier own clubs and they can make or brake lesser known candidates.
    These clubs consist of seasoned campaigners that know the system and can bring out the required votes. They also raise money and contribute much of thier own. They key to winning is money and press.
    The end result is patronage. Both with jobs and contracts. (Good examples are Your Buffalo Police commissoner, a wealthy individual who helped Massiello with money and campaign support. An example of the contract would be Spano, who did the same for Giambra and got a lucrative furniture contract.)
    Giambra, an entrenced and seasoned politician with many years of the patronage style of politics under his belt, wanted the democratic endorsement for county exec. When he didn't get it he went to the republicans and became the "outsider". He won and now he has the power. Only the names changed, same circus with new clowns.
    You can't just get rid of these guys, they all run against each other. If one looses you just get another one in his place.
    Galisano has Billions and he still can't win because he dosen't get the press. Griffin was na outsider who kept winning but the press beat him in the end because he was unpopular with the Buffalo Niagara partnership , a big player behind the scences player in WNY. They have thier own agenda which is to enrich themselves at the cost of the working Joe. They will spend any amount to get thier guy in and keep him there. They hated Pitts, and aren't to fond of Griffin, they like people like Masiello and Giambra that they can control.
    That my friend id your Buffalo and WNY political scene.
    Now you tell me how to change it.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    You can't just get rid of these guys, they all run against each other. If one looses you just get another one in his place.

>>>>>>>

Let them think that all they want They will not see us coming. But it will take teamwork. One person doesn't make a team no matter how hyper they are

Talking

Now you tell me how to change it.

Hey I asked you first

As far as "they won't see us coming" WNY Res- well I don't know what you mean but if cash and press are what is needed some of the press battle could be won on sites like this one.

Kevin Gaughan traditionally gets alot of ink in the Buffalo News but for him to have a candidacy swiped out from under him by these so called dynasties? It could happen to anyone. Anyone that a majority of people might vote for because they desperately want change can ( and probably will?) become a victim of the Political Club that has been here since like, the last century?

How bizarre.

In the history of Buffalo politics the story has always been the same. Different groups come along and some of them succede in establishing a presence. A recent one that comes to mind is grassroots.
    They have been around for about fifteen years or so and have brought some new faces on the scene. Crystal Peoples and Byron Brown to name two. They have learned to play the game and thier alliance is sought out by veterns like Massiello and the like because they can deliver on the east side.
    This results in them getting stronger them selves and allows them to be in a position of giving patronage as well as instead of just being on the receiving end, thus making them more influental.
    Organizations make deals with each other so a maverick has little chance of overcoming it.
    The last politician to win a high office in the area with out major party backing was Griffin when he won mayor in 1977. Before him I think it might have been as far back as Grover Cleveland. Seriously!
    That gives you an idea what your up against.

Organizations make deals with each other so a maverick has little chance of overcoming it.

You *don't* have to do anything. That is the purpose of the Control Board.

Buffalo politics has always been about spending other peoples money.

Different groups come along and some of them succede in establishing a presence
    this really means "groups who get in on the public funds redistribution trough".

politics will be substantially different because it will be VERY difficult as a politician to give any special interest anything that isn't absolutely nessessary for the city to function. The party's over!

These power structures will wither and die because the money that feeds them will be cut off. Thank god....
    Data is not the plural of Anecdote.

You still don't get it.
    Who appointed the control board?
    Gov. Pataki (politician)
    Who is on the control board?
    Masiello and Giambra (politicians)Wilmers (Bufalo Niagara Business Partnership, an organization that is the most active financial contributer to local politicians)
    Who is paying the staff of the control board (very well at that)
    and all the cost of the control board?
    The Buffalo taxpayer (as usual).

What has changed and what makes them any different than other political hacks?
    Beholden to those that put them there.
    The control board was created by politicians, for politicians and more patronage. It just a new way to let some old politicians who are connected off the hook, Making it look like they are trying to b e fiscally responsible. If they where serious Masiello and Giambra wouldn't be there. They are two of the Nit wits that caused this mess. Blame all the unions you want they have been at the helm more than ten years and things just got worse in that time.
    Just more taxpayer dollars being spent the good old way on a new kind of patronage.
    It's a good show.
    It makes good press, I'll give them that.

You can fool all of the people some of the time, and you can fool some of the people all the time, but you can't fool all the people all the time. (except in WNY.)

To further prove my point:
    Last week the control board hired a legal counsel. His name is Dale Mcpherson and he is a lawyer on the mayors legal staff at the Buffalo corporation counsel.
    He moves to a new position as legal consuel to the Buffalo f
    Fiscal Stability Board(control board) at a hefty increase in salary.
    No politics there.
    And best of all the mayor can bring in another young, politically connected, law school graduate to replace him on the corporation counsel staff.
    Politics, it's a beautiful thing!!!

The control board was created by politicians, for politicians and more patronage. It just a new way to let some old politicians who are connected off the hook, Making it look like they are trying to b e fiscally responsible. If they where serious Masiello and Giambra wouldn't be there.

If the above is true it confirms my worst fears. If this control board does not net the results it stated it would, then what happens next?

These power structures will wither and die because the money that feeds them will be cut off. Thank god....

I hope you are correct but I can't imagine entrenched political dynasties that have been around for generations just rolling over and playing dead without some form of retribution either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information