Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I See Dead People Getting Benefits

YEP...you da' man

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    You are a wizard at spouting the obvious and irrelevant. Of course i want to keep my job - don't you!

What a dumb thing to say. I don't have to support the Mayor to do that. I don't have to play along with the "Party Players" either. I don't try to cover personal greed by constantly crying about "Mismanagement and such" -

If it wasn't for inept management half you guys would be unemployed. If it wasn't for Unions the other half would be working for McDonald's. Politics is the life preserver of many of you.

Put your papers in, do the math and move on. Ten years from now when the new guys wake up - you'll be in Florida with a good tan, great dental work and a top notch casket waiting. Enjoy, you earned it - now move on and leave some scraps for the new guys/gals.
    Brown has shown to be one of history's worst Mayors, thru his incompetency,and scandulous administration. Yet you continue to praise his regime and fully support him as if you have a personal stake in his successful tenor here as a stepping stone to accomplish his personal agenda of higher office....at the expense of the 3rd poorest city in the nation....speaking of leaving scraps for the new guys...

Unregistered

SanFilippo audits . . every 17 years!

I have long watched in dismay as "fiscal watchdog" SanFilippo has done few audits each year . . and even fewer that made any real impact.

This matter is a dramatic example. The last audit of a key city department, where patronage is a major dyamic, was 17 years ago!

And Byron's much boasted Citi-stat also "missed" the serious problems, which Thomas alleges existed long before her arrival.

Thomas also has a major role in verifying residency of new city workers, as a top aide of SanFilippo has long been most the city' dramatic residency offender. That problem, too, was swept under the table, having also existed under previous Comptroller Nanula, who went so far as buying Tony Farina's Niagara County house for him.

Would all of that have affected SanFilippo's not seeing any issues in a troubled department, which should be setting high standards for city workers?

And speaking of Thomas' character, somebody ougth to go back & review her collecting HEAP funds illegally some time back as a well paid County staffer.

New from BfloNews:

http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/920088.html

Commissioner meets with Council about audit's findings

By Brian Meyer, NEWS STAFF REPORTER
    Updated: January 12, 2010, 12:51 PM /

Problems in Buffalo's Human Resources Department are being addressed, an embattled city commissioner assured Common Council members today.

A scathing audit released last week has fueled "misconceptions and misunderstandings," Human Resources Commissioner Karla L. Thomas told lawmakers as she appeared before the Council's Finance Committee.

Following the 90-minute meeting, Thomas accused a Council foe of subjecting her to a political "attack," city auditors of "mischaracterizing" comments she made in a meeting, and The Buffalo News of "besmirching" her professional qualifications.

In an opening statement during today's meeting, Thomas wasted no time pointing out she wasn't commissioner during most of the audit period that spanned from July 2006 through December 2008. She was hired by Mayor Byron W. Brown in September 2008. She said she knew her department had huge problems the day she walked in the door, problems that she claimed date back two decades.

The audit by the city comptroller's office raised concerns about overpayments of health insurance premiums, paperwork backlogs, the absence of checks and balances and poor delegation of tasks.

The audit found that the city made double payments for health insurance for up to 250 sanitation and water division workers, resulting in a $526,309 overpayment. The city is seeking reimbursement from the insurer.

Darryl McPherson, the chief auditor who oversaw the review, said there is "new enthusiasm" for addressing problems. Thomas took issue with this statement, saying the enthusiasm has been there from the start. "I brought it with me when I came to City Hall," Thomas told lawmakers.

Most of the recent criticism leveled at Thomas had to do with her interactions with auditors last month. When officials were discussing the the magnitude of the problems, a memo indicates Thomas "rebuffed" them by saying "TMI," meaning "too much information."

McPherson said Thomas told auditors last month that she did not want to be included in e-mails that discussed how to develop and manage procedures regarding the processing of payments. Thomas later said the "TMI" remark she made to a human resources staffer and her e-mail message were "mischaracterized." She said she never meant to imply that she has a "lackadaisical" attitude, and she stressed her ongoing efforts to solve the department's long-festering problems.

Meanwhile, McPherson struck a more conciliatory tone today, saying some improvements have already been made in the Human Resources Department. "Our work is never about personalities and politics; it is about efficiency for the public good," said McPherson.

But tensions were evident at the meeting. Thomas accused Council Finance Committee Chairman Michael P. Kearns of focusing on past problems and trying "to hold me alone responsible" for them. Kearns is a former mayoral candidate who was defeated last fall by Brown.

Thomas said most of the problems have been caused by two factors: the absence of a senior accountant in her department and a decentralized computer network that hasn't allowed "three computer systems to speak to each other." Both problems are being addressed, she said.

The meeting ended on an acrimonious note when Kearns accused Thomas of continuing to immerse herself in local politics after promising some lawmakers she wouldn't engage in such activities if they gave her a job that is supposed to help insulate city employees from politics. Thomas insisted she never made such a vow, claiming she only promised to resign as chairwoman of Grassroots, a political group founded years earlier by Brown.

Kearns asked Thomas if she has been involved in politics. "I'm not going to dignify that political question in these proceedings," she replied.

"So the answer is yes," Kearns replied. After the meeting, Thomas admitted that she attended a political endorsement meeting, but she claimed she only dropped off paperwork at the request of a candidate. Kearns said he was at the 2009 meeting, and he claimed Thomas made a "presentation" on behalf of county Legislator Barbara Miller-Williams.

Thomas accused Kearns today of launching a political "attack" on her character, after he told her that he confidence in her is waning. Thomas also criticized recent articles in The Buffalo News. "I feel like I've had a vicious attack on my character. I've had my qualifications besmirched," Thomas complained.

Auditors said they discovered numerous former employees � including some deceased individuals � on city records for prolonged periods. They're trying to determine whether health benefits were paid for any dead people. They know of at least one instance in which the city paid health insurance for an employee who had left the payroll many months earlier. The audit depicts an operation plagued by bulging paperwork backlogs, a lack of checks-and-balances, a need for employee training and other deficiencies.

Some Council members said they think a big part of the problem is that the comptroller's office hadn't audited the division in 17 years. University Council Member Bonnie E. Russell said she thinks there should be mandated audits of key offices at specified periods.

Brown said last week that he is "deeply concerned" by the audit's findings. He announced that city finance experts and attorneys will lead an effort to make required changes. Brown also expressed disappointment over Thomas' response to the audit.

PHOTO: Karla L. Thomas meets with the Common Council this morning in City Hall.
    Harry Scull Jr. / Buffalo News

bmeyer@buffnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by kernwatch View Post
    I have long watched in dismay as "fiscal watchdog" SanFilippo has done few audits each year . . and even fewer that made any real impact.

This matter is a dramatic example. The last audit of a key city department, where patronage is a major dyamic, was 17 years ago!

And Byron's much boasted Citi-stat also "missed" the serious problems, which Thomas alleges existed long before her arrival.

Thomas also has a major role in verifying residency of new city workers, as a top aide of SanFilippo has long been most the city' dramatic residency offender. That problem, too, was swept under the table, having also existed under previous Comptroller Nanula, who went so far as buying Tony Farina's Niagara County house for him.

Would all of that have affected SanFilippo's not seeing any issues in a troubled department, which should be setting high standards for city workers?

And speaking of Thomas' character, somebody ougth to go back & review her collecting HEAP funds illegally some time back as a well paid County staffer.

New from BfloNews:
    San Fillippo hasn't been comptroller for 17 years.
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

Unregistered

SanFlippo: Comptroller since 2003

"Keyboard":

Your trolling, slander & smearing is getting very tiresome, while not helping your image as "professional", or the image of Bflo teachers . . . nor 'making Bflo a better place'

SanFilippo is about as much a City Hall "INSIDER" as one can get. He has been Comptroller since 2003, having joined the Comptroller's Office 30 years earlier in 1973.

That was plenty of time to learn how City Hall works, or doesn't. He should have hit the ground running in 2003, but his history of audits is very unimpressive. Taking 8 years to get to auditing the personnel dept, on top of the nine years that lapsed under Nanula & Gaimbra . . . is not exactly the definition of a 'fiscal watchdog'.

His chief skill may be 'surviving' in City Hall.

2003 - Present
    Buffalo City Comptroller, Buffalo, NY

Biography – Andrew SanFilippo – City Comptroller
    In addition to serving as the City Comptroller, Andrew served as the Investment and Debt Management Officer, a position he has held since 1980. In that capacity, Andy is responsible for the day-to-day management of the city's cash expenditures and the investment of the idle funds for both the City and the Board of Education. Other duties include administration of the City's General Fund, Capital Projects and Debt Service Funds, the issuance of short and long-term notes and bonds, and cash flow forecasting. The investment of funds for the Buffalo Water Board and Authority, Buffalo Sewer Authority, and Solid Waste Fund all are administered through the debt manager's office. Andrew first joined the Comptroller's office in 1973 as an Assistant to Comptroller George D. O'Connell.

Quote Originally Posted by kernwatch View Post
    "Keyboard":

Your trolling, slander & smearing is getting very tiresome, while not helping your image as "professional", or the image of Bflo teachers . . . nor 'making Bflo a better place'

SanFilippo is about as much a City Hall "INSIDER" as one can get. He has been Comptroller since 2003, having joined the Comptroller's Office 30 years earlier in 1973.

That was plenty of time to learn how City Hall works, or doesn't. He should have hit the ground running in 2003, but his history of audits is very unimpressive. Taking 8 years to get to auditing the personnel dept, on top of the nine years that lapsed under Nanula & Gaimbra . . . is not exactly the definition of a 'fiscal watchdog'.

His chief skill may be 'surviving' in City Hall.
    Shut up, Kern. The only one that trolls here is you. The only one that slanders is you. The only one that smears is you. That's why you don't live here anymore---because they chased you away.

You get all upset whenever someone calls you out on your BS. It just so happens to be me most of the time. I said nothing except that he hasn't been comptroller for 17 years, so get over it.

The bottom line is that he hasn't been comptroller for 17 years. If you're going to speak out against someone don't provide "grey area facts." Provide real facts. He has been comptroller for 7.

I know that's hard seeing as how you ran away and have only the Internet to rely on for your Buffalo information.

My speaking out against your BS in this thread has nothing to do with the Buffalo teachers, so don't try that against me, either.
    I don't have to be "professional" on this board. This isn't my job. Grow up. It's almost laughable that you would try that crap with me.

You're just an ignorant man who doesn't understand how to socialize in the real world or the cyber world.

I hope everyone here realizes that if dead people are getting benefits, they were most likely union members and it was probably written into their contracts. I mean, look at what retired people are paid.
    Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan

I too,

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticatedFeminist View Post
    I am confused and my head is a bit fuzzy this morning. How can they pay benefits to a dead person? Are they dead and their spouses collecting? I am lost?
    I'm lost too, what gives? Dead people getting bene's???

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Read below, if you're still confused, well.....I just don't how to convey this, er you're in over your head.

Quote Originally Posted by CSensew/updates View Post
    The city buys a policy for each employee. Take this example...

Joe Bag O'donuts works for the city. The city buys him a medical insurance policy. Whether he uses his benefits or not, the city pays an annual cost (through monthly premiums) for insuring Joe. If Joe were to die, it's up to the city to stop insuring Joe, by notifying the insurance company. In this case nobody notified the insurance company therefore, the city kept paying the monthly premium for Joe (the dead guy)

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Basically someone dies, the department that pays the insurance premiums isn't told or doesn't tell the insurance company....the city pays the premium....the insurance company doesn't give the money back, because they don't have to.

Still not fixed! Anyone surprised?

See: http://www.buffalonews.com/city/comm...icle100281.ece
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    IF heads don't roll over this then that means there is no accountability in local government. Needs to be changed because it's costing every non-government business owner and every non-government laborer...See I'm pro labor.. just like jim keane.. I'm just not pro having one "labor group" holding a state/local/county non-government residents under a monopoly of services. Telling us what we are going to pay them because it' the law... and we got no choice. If you don't pay your taxes they will take your home away or you are forced to move because of the poor decisions they make.

In the real private sector if a department was told something a year ago that was wasting money for the company... then a year later that same department was still costing the company money because of basically not doing their job what do you think would happen? Think heads would be rolling or would they be discussing a study see where the issues are.. What do think? IS this part of the same department that did the "nationwide" search for a police commisioner 3 days before the dead line on a few internet sites?

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150 View Post
    Basically someone dies, the department that pays the insurance premiums isn't told or doesn't tell the insurance company....the city pays the premium....the insurance company doesn't give the money back, because they don't have to.
    Since the audit didn't find that these dead folks were being paid, somebody knew they were no longer working. This is why you have the IT department create an exception report that matches up employee status/hours worked/pay check amount/benies paid. You don't even need the SS death indices. Employees with 0 hours should not be active (maybe inactive or retired or sick leave, etc). If you find an anomaly, then you call the department to find out why, and change the employee's status. This isn't rocket science. It is incompetence, though.

Hey we don't know that these dead people aren't still receiving their retirement checks too. That wasn't part of the audit.

Since we're pretty sure that the health care won't be cancelled for a retired employee due to death, maybe the city could at least negotiate a deal with their insurance carriers for lower premiums for dead people. That might save the city a few bucks.
    Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Bioguy231 View Post
    Hey we don't know that these dead people aren't still receiving their retirement checks too. That wasn't part of the audit.

Since we're pretty sure that the health care won't be cancelled for a retired employee due to death, maybe the city could at least negotiate a deal with their insurance carriers for lower premiums for dead people. That might save the city a few bucks.
    Actually, if the dead people are retirees, then they probably aren't receiving retirement checks because the city doesn't handle those. City employees who qualify for retirement benefits are part of the NYS Employee Retirement System, so the ERS issues their checks, and you can bet your bootie that ERS has the SS death database.

The COB would handle the health care premiums though.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D View Post
    Actually, if the dead people are retirees, then they probably aren't receiving retirement checks because the city doesn't handle those. City employees who qualify for retirement benefits are part of the NYS Employee Retirement System, so the ERS issues their checks, and you can bet your bootie that ERS has the SS death database.

The COB would handle the health care premiums though.
    If the city has been this incompetant why should we "bet our bootie" the state is doing a better job?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information