Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An open letter to Lancaster Teachers Association

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    I cannot believe I am going to risk giving my input on this particular topic. As a family of educators, I see the other side. Although it is apparent to the average taxpayer at this time in our fiscal financil turmoil, I feel that the unions need to respect the taxpayers and halt on their incremental raises.

If the school taxes are going to be as startling as the recent town and county taxes, I have to say that we cannot afford the benefits received by the teachers that fail our children
    ~~~~~~~~~~administration that line their pockets
    ~~~~~~~~~~healthcare that is the golden carat

If a district fails to maintain high standards, there should be a consequence.
    If they meet the high standards, I feel then it is justified in an increase or bonus.

But today, times are different, and we ALL are struggling~~everyone needs to feel the burden of the taxpayers.
    Regarding meeting high standards justifying an increase in salary or bonus:

Where is this pot of gold supposed to come from to pay for these "increases"? The Federal and State governments are broke.

So, Lancaster teachers maintain they had a good year. A lot of employees in the private sector had a productive year and lost their jobs, and/or took pay cuts or received no wage increases and/or are paying more for health care benefits and/or have no retirement plans or are paying into their own plans. Teachers in Lancaster will be getting an automatic 3.4% step increase in salary. Is the BOE asking the teachers to forego this increase? I don't think so.

Not all teachers are deserving of a wage increase. Cut the salaries of the laggards and give it to the "good" teachers.

BTW - I am a senior who thought he had a good year and am getting squat in Social Security increase this year. I would have loved a 3.4% SS increase. My property tax went up $60 and I fear this year's school tax budget - especially if the state cut in aid takes place and there is not another federal stimulus bailout. And, two years down the road, God help us.

Dont worry.

The H1N1 vaccine will have plenty of todays kids genitaly sterilized so the next few generations wont be having babies to send to school. No babies, less schools, less taxes.

Smart teachers will teach for private business producing smart kids, dumb teachers will struggle with their union working for the corrupt government continuing to produce dumb kids...oops, wait a minute...we already have that.

Didn't Mr. Myska just get a new 3 year contract approved? Wonder what kind of raise and extra benefits he recieved this time around?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information