Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An open letter to Lancaster Teachers Association

An open letter to Lancaster Teachers Association

The following Buffalo News 'Another Voice' commentary can be added to the front page Speakup report: "An open letter to the Lancaster Teachers Association"

http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/a...ry/907908.html

They don't seem to get it.

While I agree with a lot of what you have to say on this site and I respect your efforts, I have to say this. It is the job of an educator to try to procure what he/she feels they need to keep their educational institutions running smoothly. It is the job of legislators to keep our government running smoothly, and that (should) mean keeping our budget balanced while at the same time providing as much as can possibly be afforded to each entity that needs funding, while at the same time not taxing the people to death.

The way I see it this is a problem with the NYS legislature, not the teachers. The legislature should be funding responsibly, regardless of who may be knocking at their door and greasing their palms. The problem is, they're not. If the legislature is voting on the budget based on kickbacks and promises of election votes, then they are corrupt and they are not doing their jobs. What good is a governing body that passes laws based on that? It's useless. At least Lancaster teachers are actually doing something, which is a hell of a lot more than you can say for our legislature.
    Meow, baby

I really don't see the argument from anyone in New York State demanding that more money be spent on education! We can afford to cut this type of spending and still produce the same miserable results as we do now.

Public schools in New York spent $15,981 per pupil in 2007, which was more than any other state or state equivalent, according to new data released by the U.S. Census Bureau. (See Table 11.) New Jersey ($15,691) and the District of Columbia ($14,324) had the next-highest spending. States spending the least per pupil were Utah ($5,683), Idaho ($6,625) and Tennessee ($7,113).
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Fiona, there is enough blame to around for the Lancaster Central School District (LCSD) spending $16,000 per year to educate a child (that number came from the LCSD during a presentation). I am talking strictly what Lancaster is spending and why our taxes are so high.

What is disturbing to hear from a few of the teachers I have spoken to is that they feel because they had a good year (Business First rankings and benchmarking against previous years) they want even more than they previously received in compensation and have yet to settle their contract.

The time is near for the Fact Finding part of the negotiation process. Then the public will be afforded the opportunity to learn what the LTA is asking.
    School spending has gone up near 35% in the past five years and the brunt of that is attributed to staff salaries, health care benefits and retirement plans. Yes, the Lancaster Teachers Association (LTA) can ask for the moon, but as a 10 year retiree who is not scheduled to get a dime more in Social Security benefits over the next two years, has to pay more into his health care program, lost money in his 401-k, and is seeing little return on savings, I expect the BOE to act in my best interest and deliver a contract settlement that is fair to both the teachers and the taxpayer; especially during this poor economic climate.

I don’t need someone who gets an automatic 3.4% step increase to tell me they deserve much more in wage increase when many in the private sector have seen no wage increases in years and will not this year, and yet are expected to pay increased school taxes to make up the monies lost in the stock market that adversely impacted their retirement plans.

It’s time for the political correctness BS to stop and for the public to get engaged to stop government and the public sector from picking our pockets; pockets that are getting smaller every day.

Again, examine public sector contracts and learn what these workers get in salaries, benefits, pensions, stipends, perks, time off, clothing/equipment allowances, near zero fear of losing their jobs, etc. Teachers deserve a fair contract, unfortunately, too many of them don't seem to understand the word fair!

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    What is disturbing to hear from a few of the teachers I have spoken to is that they feel because they had a good year (Business First rankings and benchmarking against previous years) they want even more than they previously received in compensation and have yet to settle their contract.
    It is very disturbing since there was no decrease in compensation during the years their Business First rankings were going down and when they were on the "Contract for Excellence" list.

Georgia L Schlager

Education costs so much because they irresponsibly provide over-abundance. Why do they allow this? Because the "elite controllers" of our state and country have figured out that "giving" people what they want is the best way to make them dependent and enslave them.

All you have to is read, "the deliberate dumbing down of america" or look it up on u-tube and watch the video. It was written by a woman who used to work for the government, (70's and 80's I think) whose job was to help design and implement the plan to do it.

One thing that I can never figure out.

The school tax increases because, let's say, they need new buses. I can understand this but then the next year they don't need the buses and don't lower the taxes but instead increase for some other stated reason. I understand that there are long term, major costs, such as roofing, a new field house or buses. The budget should not have to increase each and every year because of it.

As Lancaster school district taxpayers, we contribute 92% of the teachers monthly health care premium.

Do you think the teachers will be contributing more like they do in the real world?

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    As Lancaster school district taxpayers, we contribute 92% of the teachers monthly health care premium.

Do you think the teachers will be contributing more like they do in the real world?
    If only I could get them to contribute just 8% to mine!

Any news on the contract talks yet? And anything on budget reduction plans?

Yesterday's BuffaloNews article -
    "No Bailout likely as schools face big aid cuts"
    http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/story/925311.html

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Any news on the contract talks yet? And anything on budget reduction plans?

Yesterday's BuffaloNews article -
    "No Bailout likely as schools face big aid cuts"
    http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/story/925311.html
    Haven’t heard anything on the school district contract negotiations, except the process is near Fact Finding where contract negotiation positions will become public. Please tell me why town and school employee contracts are not made public for review as we taxpayers are going to be funding them. I am not saying the public should be part of the negotiations, but should be made privy to what is being asked. At least we can vote on the school budget, but by then it is programs and activities that are cut, not mandated administration and staff compensations.

Consider what was reported in the Buffalo News link you posted in regards to the Lancaster Central School District (LCSD) contract negotiations:

"This year is very different," said Assemblyman Sam Hoyt, D-Buffalo. "Every school district in the state of New York should be prepared for cuts. I fear it will be severe and harsh."

That was made crystal clear to the Lancaster Teachers Association (LTA) at a Board of Education (BOE) meeting in August by Superintendent Edward Myska. Mr. Myska gave a presentation on what cuts would have had to make had Lancaster not received federal stimulus money for 2009. That seemed to have had no impact on contract negotiations that have in progress for near one year.

The dire situation — plus the recognition that property owners will not stomach a huge school tax increase when they vote on budgets — are prompting talk of cost-saving measures that would have been unheard of in years past:

• Consolidating operations between school districts.

• Getting tough in teacher contract negotiations.

• Making wider use of distance learning and other methods employed by colleges.

• Resurrecting talk of merging school districts.

It appears the district is taking a stand in the negotiations. What does the union want? In speaking with several teachers this year they claim they want a lot because they had a good year and improved from 16th to 12th on the Business First ranking. Well now, that should do it. Teachers receive an automatic 3.4% step wage increase. Is that not enough?

According to another Buffalo News January 16th report ‘Family incomes fall as prices rise’, “Inflation-adjusted weekly wages fell 1.6 percent last year — the sharpest drop since 1990 — but consumer prices rose modestly. The overall inflation rate last year — 2.7 percent — understates the burden of some families. Many are struggling with surging costs for health care and college tuition. Both have been galloping far above the overall inflation rate.”

“Inflation and wages remain low because employers can’t or won’t raise pay in an economy that has shed 7.2 million jobs since the recession began two years ago. The unemployment rate is 10 percent, and the number of jobless has hit 15.3 million, up from 7.7 million when the recession started in at the end of 2007. Over the last 10 years, for example, inflation-adjusted wages grew only about 13 percent — the slowest pace in five decades, according to calculations made by Scott Hoyt of Moody’s Economy. com. And that trend is expected to persist as long as the recovery remains weak and the job market tight.”

“Even though the Consumer Price Index rose 2.7 percent from December 2008 to December 2009, more than 50 million Social Security recipients got no cost-of-living benefit increase this year. That’s because overall prices fell from July to September last year, compared with the same months in 2008 — the period the government uses to determine Social Security adjustments"

Hey LTA, are you listening?

Back to the school report link

As bad as this coming budget year might be, the following year is likely to be much worse. By then, the federal stimulus money that saved the day will expire, leaving states without a safety net.

That (and the above report) seems to have no impact on the LTA and school teachers. We deserve more; we have a tough job; walk in our shoes for a week, etc. is their mantra.

"Twenty-thousand teachers have lost their jobs in California. "Furlough Fridays" slashed some school weeks to just four days in Hawaii. Teachers in Nevada took a 4 percent pay cut. More than half the states have canceled early childhood or prekindergarten programs."

That seems to mean nothing to New York State Teacher Unions.

"Some school officials hope the federal government will release another round of stimulus money for schools in two years."

Once more they are looking for a federal bailout to continue the status quo - taxpayer monies. The Union is backing the Health Care Plan now that Cadillac health care plans will not be taxed; corruption to the max.

"The state school boards association is calling for tougher negotiations with unions."

Hopefully, that is the LCSD’s position. It’s either pay us now or pay us later at budget approval time – where once again the kids will be expected to take the hit. School spending has increased near three times the rate of inflation over the last five years. Enough is enough!
    Last edited by Lee Chowaniec; January 17th, 2010 at 11:01 PM.

It comes from above!

Do we blame the garbage men when local taxes go up!

It starts at the top - even in schools. If the officials that run higher offices don't mis-spend so much money we're not having this conversation.

who

Where do we start
    Attachment 2945
    Click the Picture to see what Town Hall says!
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by captainobvious View Post
    Do we blame the garbage men when local taxes go up!

It starts at the top - even in schools. If the officials that run higher offices don't mis-spend so much money we're not having this conversation.
    If you are inferring that administrators (salaries, benefits, etc) should also share the pain, I agree. I asked the School District Superintendent last year if he was willing to accept a pay cut to set an example. He never answered the question and it never happened.

With the delay in state aid, the cut back in state aid proposed in next year's budget and if no stimulus money comes along, they won't know whether to crap or go blind. They will try to stick it to the taxpayer, who should in turn be ready to vote down any budget proposal except a contingency one. They knew this day was coming.

I cannot believe I am going to risk giving my input on this particular topic. As a family of educators, I see the other side. Although it is apparent to the average taxpayer at this time in our fiscal financil turmoil, I feel that the unions need to respect the taxpayers and halt on their incremental raises.

If the school taxes are going to be as startling as the recent town and county taxes, I have to say that we cannot afford the benefits received by the teachers that fail our children
    ~~~~~~~~~~administration that line their pockets
    ~~~~~~~~~~healthcare that is the golden carat

If a district fails to maintain high standards, there should be a consequence.
    If they meet the high standards, I feel then it is justified in an increase or bonus.

But today, times are different, and we ALL are struggling~~everyone needs to feel the burden of the taxpayers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information