Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Control protocols need review and updating

Quote Originally Posted by Wehner View Post
    Seems to me that every time I brought up dog control issues in the past I was cast aside by the town board. Everything was in the name of cost control and waste. Dino and his lapdog town board wouldn't give me the time of day when I inquired about procedures at the dco operation. I am so disappointed that I missed the dog and pony show Monday. We still have a long way to go in dog control in Lancaster. I can only hope for the best.....
    Mike that is what many of us are hoping for, namely, what’s best for the animals.

In that light, the politics of the past and the shoddy operation that was in place for years does nothing to now help hold the town accountable for establishing a dog control operation that has the necessary equipment, trained employees and protocols that meet high quality standards. This should not be about past transgressions and blame but what the department should be. So much time has been wasted because of the political crap; time that could have been spent on doing the right thing.

The town claims the kennel operation has yet to be completed, is reviewing and plans to update protocols, has heard from the public at the town board meeting level and through Facebook postings and word of mouth. It is imperative that the board incorporate into its code what those protocols will be. Residents have been kept in the dark for too long on what happens to stray dogs that are picked up off the streets.

Individuals should also be aware that abandoning animals to the streets is a federal offense – at least that is what I have recently been informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    It would be nice when dealing with animals that standards and regulations were actually exceeded. The minimum doesn't always mean the most desirable.
    I agree 100 percent!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Mike that is what many of us are hoping for, namely, what’s best for the animals.

In that light, the politics of the past and the shoddy operation that was in place for years does nothing to now help hold the town accountable for establishing a dog control operation that has the necessary equipment, trained employees and protocols that meet high quality standards. This should not be about past transgressions and blame but what the department should be. So much time has been wasted because of the political crap; time that could have been spent on doing the right thing.

The town claims the kennel operation has yet to be completed, is reviewing and plans to update protocols, has heard from the public at the town board meeting level and through Facebook postings and word of mouth. It is imperative that the board incorporate into its code what those protocols will be. Residents have been kept in the dark for too long on what happens to stray dogs that are picked up off the streets.

Individuals should also be aware that abandoning animals to the streets is a federal offense – at least that is what I have recently been informed.

LEE: I don't claim to be the end all when it comes to DOG CONTROL but I think that my 11 years as DCO and my NEW YORK STATE AG & MKTS CERTIFICATION, i may have some knowledge and insight that would help bring DOG CONTROL IN THE TOW OF LANCASTER BACK ON COURSE. I offered my services to the town in an effort to help set up and run the DOG CONTROL OFFICE. I OFFERED MY SERVICES FREE OF CHARGE. I WAS SHOWN THE DOOR!!! When the town web site advertised for the DCO position I applied. I hand delivered my application to town hall.. I was not even interviewed for the position.

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    *Time did not allow to ask how six part time DCO’S (19 hours or less) were enough to manage a 24/7 day operation and with 12 hr. shifts; 7x24 =168 hrs in the week. 168/6 = 28 hrs per week per DCO. I am sure there must be some schedule to accommodate the need.
    I have to ask. When we had a FT DCO 40 hours per week, was the department staffed for the other 128 hours?

Georgia L Schlager

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    Councilman Walter: As they work 12 hour shifts the dogs are cared for once in that shift’s time. I drive by there every day to make sure the dogs are being looked after.
    Once isn't enough as far as I'm concerned, my old post from another thread

I'd like to know what the responsibility is for the on-call DCO on a particular day, aside from picking up dogs.

"If there is a dog in the Lancaster kennel, does that person take the dog to do his duty 3 times a day or clean the feces and urine from the kennel 3 times a day. Do they assure the dog has fresh food and water?

Looking at Article 7 of NYS agriculture and markets it states -
    (a) Properly sheltered means the provision of shelter suitable to the breed and age of
    the dog. Said shelter shall be structurally sound, clean, and sufficient to protect the dog
    from detriment to its well-being, and shall provide adequate space to allow the dog to
    move about in a natural manner,
    light, air and temperature sufficient to protect the
    animal.

(b) Properly fed means the provision, at suitable intervals, of wholesome food
    appropriate for the breed and age of the dog and sufficient to maintain a reasonable
    level of nutrition in each dog. Such food shall be served in a receptacle, dish or
    container that has been physically cleaned so that agents injurious to the health of the
    dog have been removed and destroyed to a practical minimum.

(c) Properly watered means the provision of constant access to a supply of clean,
    fresh, potable water in a sanitary manner, or the provision of such access at intervals
    suitable for the breed and age of the dog."

I'm also in agreement with proper training being part of the hiring process.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by DebLemaster View Post
    I agree 100 percent!
    Unfortunately the system of government usually means just getting by, and if you try to do more there will be somebody higher up telling you to stop. I mean why exceed expectation if there is the expectation that will be the new standard.

see post #18

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I have to ask. When we had a FT DCO 40 hours per week, was the department staffed for the other 128 hours?
    YES.... Schedules were provided to the town clerks office,Lancaster town police,Depew police and at the time the Lancaster village police. Everyone scheduled was on call. The police dept had full discretion on call outs. If they thought it was necessary they were called.

LEE: I don't claim to be the end all when it comes to DOG CONTROL but I think that my 11 years as DCO and my NEW YORK STATE AG & MKTS CERTIFICATION, i may have some knowledge and insight that would help bring DOG CONTROL IN THE TOW OF LANCASTER BACK ON COURSE. I offered my services to the town in an effort to help set up and run the DOG CONTROL OFFICE. I OFFERED MY SERVICES FREE OF CHARGE. I WAS SHOWN THE DOOR!!! When the town web site advertised for the DCO position I applied. I hand delivered my application to town hall.. I was not even interviewed for the position.
    Mike:

You had the door shut on you because of the political BS that was going on with your wife while she was employed in the Clerk’s office. And the town was looking to go to another direction by signing an agreement with the Town of Clarence where the stray dogs would be taken and kenneled. It was sold as a cost savings project where there was now no need for a full time certified DCO. And yes, the project was approved by the entire town board and an agreement never came to fruition.

That was then and nobody since has any idea of how the Dog Control Department was being managed; that is until the matter become public and personal.

Whether it was the DCO’S appearance before the town board, the residents who took an interest in the matter, or whether the town is being truthful saying it was already working on protocols and that the project has not been completed, it doesn’t matter to Mrs. Lemaster, the public or me, as long as the town makes the necessary changes to ensure we have a well managed operation in place that hires and trains individuals who have some sense of how to handle a stressed stray – especially one with an owner’s collar that indicates this is not an on the loose dog and a threat to the community.

The town seems sincere in making the right changes. There are enough of us involved to make sure we hold them accountable and report on the project progress.

Help us out here, Mike. We need your input on whether the town needs to go back to a full time, certified DCO; what training the hires need to become capable, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Once isn't enough as far as I'm concerned, my old post from another thread

I'd like to know what the responsibility is for the on-call DCO on a particular day, aside from picking up dogs.

"If there is a dog in the Lancaster kennel, does that person take the dog to do his duty 3 times a day or clean the feces and urine from the kennel 3 times a day. Do they assure the dog has fresh food and water?

Looking at Article 7 of NYS agriculture and markets it states -
    (a) Properly sheltered means the provision of shelter suitable to the breed and age of
    the dog. Said shelter shall be structurally sound, clean, and sufficient to protect the dog
    from detriment to its well-being, and shall provide adequate space to allow the dog to
    move about in a natural manner,
    light, air and temperature sufficient to protect the
    animal.

(b) Properly fed means the provision, at suitable intervals, of wholesome food
    appropriate for the breed and age of the dog and sufficient to maintain a reasonable
    level of nutrition in each dog. Such food shall be served in a receptacle, dish or
    container that has been physically cleaned so that agents injurious to the health of the
    dog have been removed and destroyed to a practical minimum.

(c) Properly watered means the provision of constant access to a supply of clean,
    fresh, potable water in a sanitary manner, or the provision of such access at intervals
    suitable for the breed and age of the dog."

I'm also in agreement with proper training being part of the hiring process.
    I am with you gorja. Once IS NOT enough. Someone closer to the situation contacted me and said they have yet to see any of the dogs being taken out of the kennel for a walk. We offered to volunteer our services and walk the dogs but were told we could not due to legal concerns. I do understand that but at the same time, confined dogs need exercise.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by DebLemaster View Post
    I am with you gorja. Once IS NOT enough. Someone closer to the situation contacted me and said they have yet to see any of the dogs being taken out of the kennel for a walk. We offered to volunteer our services and walk the dogs but were told we could not due to legal concerns. I do understand that but at the same time, confined dogs need exercise.

This is why maybe the town should not be in the dog baby sitting business. Perhaps have the town provide a shelter but have the local SPCA man the property with volunteers. Still have to review how many strays are picked up and so forth to make a proper decision.

So how many dogs are usually at the kennel?

How many calls come in a week to pick up a stray dog?

How is the kennel budgeted? Is dry/wet food stocked regularly along with basic supplies?

Are there adequate toys for the dogs?

When it's 80+ degrees how warm are the kennels where the dogs are?

Does the DCO do anything with wildlife or just dogs and cats?

http://lancasterny.gov/town-departments/dog-control/

Hours of Operation:

The Town of Lancaster Dog Control Office is staffed by Town employees, who are hired to serve as Dog Control Officers, on-call. If you are unable to reach an officer at the Dog Control Office, please leave a message for matters that are not urgent. Matters needing immediate attention must be referred to the Lancaster Police Department at 683-2800.
    Main Function of Department:

• To serve the residents of the Town of Lancaster and Villages of Depew and Lancaster who may have problems or questions related to dogs
    • Ensuring the licensing of dogs
    • Picking up dogs at large
    • Ensuring proper care and feeding of dogs detained at the Town of Lancaster kennels
    • Enforcement of Town and Village codes and New York State law pertaining to dog control
    • Issuing appearance ticket for violations of Town and Village codes
    • Enforcement of impoundment fees to be paid by the respective owner to the Town Clerk of the Town of Lancaster
    • Maintaining an up-to-date census of dogs in the Town and Villages
    • Sending notices for delinquent dog licenses
    • Maintaining kennels to provide a clean and safe environment for detained dogs

This is why maybe the town should not be in the dog baby sitting business. Perhaps have the town provide a shelter but have the local SPCA man the property with volunteers. Still have to review how many strays are picked up and so forth to make a proper decision.

I doubt that the ECSPCA would be able to take on a task like this. I am sure you would agree they have more than enough to handle.

So how many dogs are usually at the kennel?
    Our Kennel can hold 4 total. They have hit the max. of four once or twice since this new facility opened.

How many calls come in a week to pick up a stray dog?
    Varies

How is the kennel budgeted? Is dry/wet food stocked regularly along with basic supplies?
    YES, I did notice basic supplies and food.

Are there adequate toys for the dogs?
    NO

When it's 80+ degrees how warm are the kennels where the dogs are?
    No problem with temperature. Inside section of kennels is temperature controlled with both heat and air. They are able to go in and out at will.

Does the DCO do anything with wildlife or just dogs and cats?
    Dogs ONLY.

Quote Originally Posted by lee chowaniec View Post
    at the july 5, 2016 lancaster town board work session a dog control officer (dco) appeared at the work session to report that he had been bitten in the upper arm by a stray dog (pit bull mix). The dco claims he was feeding the dog at the time, pushing the bowl in “very gently”. From resident questioning it was discovered the dco was not wearing kevlar arm protective gloves; (claiming he didn’t have any) and was asking to be provided with them. “had i had them i would not have suffered a wound.”

attendees were informed:

some dogs are kenneled for only hours before being picked up by the owner, some for five days.

As the four cage kennel was fully occupied lancaster contacted alden and cheektowaga to see whether they were able to take the dog in. They were not. ”supervisor johanna coleman informed the board that the town had an agreement with the spca to accept dogs that were not aggressive, having behavioral issues or biters.

“if the dog is a general threat to the public it has to be taken down,” declared the dco. “that is the rule.” the dog was held for five days and taken (from all appearances) to a vet to be euthanized. Fortunately, that did not happen.

residents question town board on protocols

at the recent town board meeting lancaster residents debbie lemaster and lee chowaniec thanked and commended town board member matt walter for his help in assisting to save a stray dogs life – a stray dog with a collar indicating an owner no longer wanting the animal.

lemaster addresses board.

lemaster, an avid animal lover and member of the wny lost and found pets and the writer were present at the work session and had some concerns about the dog control operation. Lemaster’s interests peaked when she began reading facebook posts that indicated that things did not bode for the dog’s welfare.

Reading that the dog was taken to a vet to be euthanized, she was also in contact with people who were reporting that the dog was not aggressive at the vet facility, was socializing with the other animals and while being observed only displayed minor cage aggressiveness. The animal facility refused to euthanize the dog and ultimately found a rescue shelter for the dog where he will be put up for adoption.

Lemaster informed the board that she and chowaniec went to visit the new four-kennel operation to see how the dogs were being housed and managed. Finding three piles of waste and fresh urine, and unable to reach the dco, lemaster contacted councilman walter. He immediately contacted a dco and had the outdoor caged section cleaned and the dog attended to.

Lemaster asked whether the dogs were taken out of the kennels for walks/exercise as there is no enclosed area for the dogs to move about. Walter responded that the town is looking at instating new protocols and such area will be considered. “we are not done yet, and there is a lot of misinformation out there,” declared walter. “it is a work in progress and it has not been completed as yet. We are working on a protocol on how to handle the situation when there is an overflow at our kennels and the same is true at the spca when occasions like the fourth of july fireworks scare the dogs and they take off.”

walter declared he visits the kennel daily to ensure the dco’s are doing their jobs and that the dogs are being treated properly. He hopes to have in place protocols in the next few weeks that would address a dog going unclaimed for 2-3 days and in finding a rescue center before considering having a dog euthanized. Lemaster declared that she hoped such protocol was already in place for the dog in question.

Supervisor johanna coleman interjected that 90% of the dogs are in for one day or less, but that there was a need for a protocol to address the exception situations to ensure dogs are not euthanized until behaviorists make a determination that the dog is not a threat and all where all avenues of finding a home for the dog are exhausted.

chowaniec addresses board

i also commend councilman walter for his concern and assistance in the matter otherwise a good dog might have been put down.

There has been much change taking place since the failed agreement with clarence to shelter our stray dogs. It was stated that the town will adopt new protocols. For clarification, what protocols do we have in place now to handle and house dogs until picked up by an owner or housed at the kennel for five days.

Chowaniec: who does the dco in charge report to?

supervisor coleman: Lieutenant gumbo; a former dco who inspects the operation. Thank god that dan highway superintendent amatura) and matt (walter) help to ensure the dogs are fed and have water. Others help out as well.

Chowaniec: The reason i ask on the chain of command is because as you just stated mr. Amatura and mr. Lubera have assisted in setting up the operation and in doing so have saved the town significant dollars by not outside contracting the current operation and having to pay prevailing wages. They play no role in the operations of the dog control department as some seem to think.

Supervisor coleman: The dco’s first report to lieutenant gumbo and then contact my office if further direction is needed. And then they can contact matt (walter).

Chowaniec: And that’s because mr. Walter is the dog control operation town board committee chair?

Coleman: But gumbo is a former dco and he knows dogs.

Chowaniec: speaking of knowing dogs, how many part time dco’s are on staff?

coleman: I think we have five. (six some board member interjected)*

chowaniec: I believe there were 10 at one time.

Coleman: Not that i know of.

Walter: There might have been 7; maybe 6.

Chowaniec: are there any job requirements to be met to become a part time dco in lancaster; any certifications needed to be a part time dco; any training on handling dogs or education needed to prevent a dco from being bit and/or for making an observation and determination that the dog in question is not overly aggressive or anti-social and later cause for euthanization?

Coleman: No, except for some training on operation expectations.

Chowaniec: Apparently, not enough. Had the dco who attended the last board work session to report on the dog bite been wearing the protective hand/arm gear required to handle a dog he would not have been bitten. He openly admitted he had no such gear – nor a cage to be in his vehicle to handle an aggressive dog; one required to transfer a dog to the custody of other agencies.

When the program to use part time dco’s was instated a few years ago i asked the same question of then council member mar aquino the same question and he answered that this is not rocket science and that anyone can do the dco job. I disagreed then and do so now. This has become a patronage position without the regard of having people in place who care about dogs enough to know how to handle them.

Chowaniec: how frequently are the dogs fed, given water and having their waste removed.

councilman walter: As they work 12 hour shifts the dogs are cared for once in that shift’s time. I drive by there every day to make sure the dogs are being looked after.

Chowaniec: When lemaster and i visited the kennel at 9:30 am there were three piles of solid waste and a large area of urine. What is the floor composition of the outdoor section of the shelter cage? It appears to be something other than concrete and capable of absorbing waste liquids and disintegrating in the future; and in the meantime emitting odors?

Walter: Non absorbing material on top and concrete below – easily hosed down and right into the drain.

Chowaniec: Thank you; just a closing comment. As an animal lover, as many others, this curiosity was triggered by the recent event of a dco being bitten in the upper arm by a dog he considered to be aggressive and one capable of being an uncontrolled repetitive biter. The animal was observed in a vet’s office for several days (a behaviorist) and found to be social and no personal threat - if anything the opposite socializing with other animals at the facility; even cats.

It was noted when the bitten dco attended the previous meetings work session to report the incident, he openly admitted he was unprepared to handle the dog in not wearing the necessary protective hand/arm gear to safely a dog and later requested a cage to put in the back of his truck to separate himself from the likes of an aggressive dog. Had the dco been wearing the protective gear he would not have been bitten.

It is good to hear that the town is in the process of reviewing and updating its protocols in the dog control department to prevent such happening in the future – one although infrequent, handled improperly and costly. I would hope that in the future capable people are hired and given adequate training. Lost/stray dogs are under duress when picked up and may very well show aggressive tendencies that are not present under normal conditions. We do need dco's that know how to handle such situations.

time did not allow to ask how six part time dco’s (19 hours or less) were enough to manage a 24/7 day operation and with 12 hr. Shifts; 7x24 =168 hrs in the week. 168/6 = 28 hrs per week per dco. I am sure there must be some schedule to accommodate the need.

all of these so called protocols should have been taken care of years ago. The town boards p_____g contest over who could save the most taxpayer dollars compromised the department as a whole and exposed every dco to possible injury or worse...

all of these so called protocols should have been taken care of years ago. The town boards p_____g contest over who could save the most taxpayer dollars compromised the department as a whole and exposed every dco to possible injury or worse...
    Yes, Mike, the Doc Control operation was mismanaged for years and got even worse when the Clarence agreement fell through. We both heard board members declare that being a DCO was not rocket science and that anyone could do the job. Yep, but we recently found how well that job was being done and how well the dogs were being treated and what attempts made to find homes for strays that were not aggressive.

The town board says they are taking this project in another direction. This board and they should be given a chance - although we have been lied to a few times already and that will only spur us on to hold them accountable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Yes, Mike, the Doc Control operation was mismanaged for years and got even worse when the Clarence agreement fell through. We both heard board members declare that being a DCO was not rocket science and that anyone could do the job. Yep, but we recently found how well that job was being done and how well the dogs were being treated and what attempts made to find homes for strays that were not aggressive.

The town board says they are taking this project in another direction. This board and they should be given a chance - although we have been lied to a few times already and that will only spur us on to hold them accountable.

Sorry Lee, I just cannot drink town board kook aid anymore. Just a little too tasteless for my palette. I still have a half full glass, maybe a consensus can be reached.

Sorry Lee, I just cannot drink town board kook aid anymore. Just a little too tasteless for my palette. I still have a half full glass, maybe a consensus can be reached.
    Sorry to her that, Mike.

However, it is my (and many others) belief that this board is paying for the sins of past boards that mismanaged this Department. They have heard the public's concerns and recommendations and seem sincere in putting in protocols in place that will improve and bring the dog control operation up to standard, Until such reasonable time they fail to do as promised (on this work in progress) tey are deserving of patience.

This is not the only department that is being scrutinized and being held accountable by the public for failure to address issues that should not exist. The recent election mantra of this board was to take the town in another direction - and they appear to be doing that. We shall see as time goes by.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information