Thread: zoo gets green light for rain forest

zoo gets green light for rain forest

The Buffalo Zoo will break ground this fall on a $16 million South American rain forest attraction with a two-story waterfall and exotic exhibits of crocodiles, vampire bats and anacondas.

The Erie County Legislature gave the go-ahead Thursday to borrowing $4 million, ending a stalemate that threatened to kill the zoo project.
    "Excited and relieved," zoo President Donna M. Fernandes said.

The rain forest, centerpiece of the zoo's $75 million reconstruction program, seemed in danger just a week ago when several lawmakers questioned the wisdom of borrowing money at a time when the county is recovering from a fiscal crisis.

In the end, 14 of the Legislature's 15 members voted for the borrowing. Legislator Thomas A. Loughran, D-Amherst, voted against it.

At risk was the state funding, as well as a $4 million challenge grant from M&T Bank Chairman Robert G. Wilmers, whose name will adorn the rain forest. Loughran said he liked the project but was opposed to borrowing to make it happen. He wanted the county to take the $4 million out of last year's budget surplus.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...29/1058602.asp
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by steven
    The Erie County Legislature gave the go-ahead Thursday to borrowing $4 million, ending a stalemate that threatened to kill the zoo project.
    "Excited and relieved," zoo President Donna M. Fernandes said.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...29/1058602.asp
    Well it's about time! I know I've been busy working to pay my taxes but I was beginning to wonder if the County was ever going figure out a way to spend more money!

Thread Information