Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Volutneer Fire Departments Financial Reporting

Volutneer Fire Departments Financial Reporting

www.osc.state.ny.us/localgov/pubs/arm_fds.pdf

A fire company is defined in the above cited publication.

Chapter 4 contains expense categories.

How - without - violating regulation can volunteer fore companies in Amherst buy alchohol?

Quote Originally Posted by |- Amherst Stakeholder -|

How - without - violating regulation can volunteer fore companies in Amherst buy alchohol?
    They're buying alcohol?

Maybe they are using money from fundraisers?

Main & Transit Fire Company

They have a beautiful bar and lounge area where they serve alcohol to their members.

Micheal

Quote Originally Posted by Micheal Joseph
    They have a beautiful bar and lounge area where they serve alcohol to their members.

Micheal
    But is that taxpayer money? Better not be!

Quote Originally Posted by atotaltotalfan2001
    But is that taxpayer money? Better not be!
    How can one tell, when they built the new fire hall, they also built the bar lounge area.

Micheal

Quote Originally Posted by |- Amherst Stakeholder -|

This information only applies to Eggerstville and Snyder Fire Dept's.. From what I hear no taxpayer money is used to by beer.

Quote Originally Posted by New Ideas
    This information only applies to Eggerstville and Snyder Fire Dept's.. From what I hear no taxpayer money is used to by beer.
    Then why build a bar? With taxpayer money?

Your local fire companies should be more concerned with saving properties and lives then having the biggest firehouse in town. Be it the Amherst companies or the Cheektowaga ones, volunteer fire companies are becoming a joke.
    These companies waste taxpayer money on Taj Mahals to house their 8 pieces of apparatus. Last I checked the area has LOST population. Besides, the volunteer ranks have steadily dwindled, not that the blue light army is ready to accept applicants from outside their districts.
    Tell me this, why the hell does Eggertsville need a bunk room? Nobody actually does Squad time, nor do they have paid members. It was a way to waste money. If you don't believe me look on Firehouse.Com for it. I've asked colleagues of mine that belong to the department and they always say "I dunno".
    All that should be there is apparatus bay, lockers, a ready/crew room, and that's it. You don't need bars, leather couches, flat panel TV's, etc.
    See as a paid EMS Provider, all I ask is I have an ambulance that runs, has usable equipment, possibly all the emergency lights working, and comfortable seats. We don't have the luxuries that the vollies have, yet we are the ones running are tails off.

I can respect the concern of how $$ are spent in the fire service, but I believe the amenities (with the exception of "alcohol") are used as a means for volunteer retention. Are some excessive? I guess it depends on your perception. I find it interesting that one blogger singled out two major Amherst fire departments that are fire commissioned districts that do not have town oversite for their budgets. Their elected ( by owners in that district) fire commissioners are comprised of mostly (if not all) active or inactive firefighters in that specific district. That being said, the volunteer fire service is highly regulated with audits that are sent to the state. As far as the purchase and consumption of alcohol are concerned, this is also regulated and rules are in place as far as participation in an emergency situation. Excessive consumption in most department's is not tolerated and is heavily regulated. Unfortunately like any other occupation, association, etc. you may have someone that abuses the system. I can appreciate a paid EMS individual feeling the way they do, but these amenities are for those who decided to volunteer their time in the community and are designed to provide some "bonding" between members in the organization. To be able to relax, have a soda, watch some TV or a movie is not all that bad, when you look at the benefit of not having to pay the additional costs associated with a paid department. Also remember that the state regulates how $$ are spent, therefore "taxpayer" monies cannot be spent on what some of you call an "alcohol" issue. There can always be some changes in how this service is provided to the community as far as $$ are concerned, but not in the way some of you are looking at it. Many of these individuals have gotten out of bed, a family event, etc. to help in an emergency situation whether EMS, auto accident, fire, disaster (October storm), etc. and at a schedule of 24/7. I feel some of you either do not appreciate this dedication or are self concious of other beliefs that these individuals are taking advantage of some self created "perks" that you are not intitled to.

Quote Originally Posted by forreason
    I can respect the concern of how $$ are spent in the fire service, but I believe the amenities (with the exception of "alcohol") are used as a means for volunteer retention. Are some excessive? I guess it depends on your perception. I find it interesting that one blogger singled out two major Amherst fire departments that are fire commissioned districts that do not have town oversite for their budgets. Their elected ( by owners in that district) fire commissioners are comprised of mostly (if not all) active or inactive firefighters in that specific district. That being said, the volunteer fire service is highly regulated with audits that are sent to the state. As far as the purchase and consumption of alcohol are concerned, this is also regulated and rules are in place as far as participation in an emergency situation. Excessive consumption in most department's is not tolerated and is heavily regulated. Unfortunately like any other occupation, association, etc. you may have someone that abuses the system. I can appreciate a paid EMS individual feeling the way they do, but these amenities are for those who decided to volunteer their time in the community and are designed to provide some "bonding" between members in the organization. To be able to relax, have a soda, watch some TV or a movie is not all that bad, when you look at the benefit of not having to pay the additional costs associated with a paid department. Also remember that the state regulates how $$ are spent, therefore "taxpayer" monies cannot be spent on what some of you call an "alcohol" issue. There can always be some changes in how this service is provided to the community as far as $$ are concerned, but not in the way some of you are looking at it. Many of these individuals have gotten out of bed, a family event, etc. to help in an emergency situation whether EMS, auto accident, fire, disaster (October storm), etc. and at a schedule of 24/7. I feel some of you either do not appreciate this dedication or are self concious of other beliefs that these individuals are taking advantage of some self created "perks" that you are not intitled to.

A lot of people will bitch about anything. They key word is VOLUNTEER. These guys are not getting paid. BTW, the bed may be used when there is an emergency situation (like the October surprise) when people may need to be there round the clock.

I feel some of you either do not appreciate this dedication or are self concious of other beliefs that these individuals are taking advantage of some self created "perks" that you are not intitled to.

Nice dodge. The topic at hand is how much money are in the coffers of these groups, how it is being spent and the annual "fund drive" the covers the "perks" not the protection.

Yes there is a lot of dedication and with this there should be perks. However, providing a country club should not be the case.

As far as your comment of giving volunteers the ability "To be able to relax, have a soda, watch some TV or a movie is not all that bad, when you look at the benefit of not having to pay the additional costs associated with a paid department." is spot on.

My point is that big screen plasma or lcd tv's are not needed. Company bar rooms nicer then most in Buffalo are not needed. Leather seating is not needed. Face the facts, for the most part, the fire companies are the working man's country club for town workers. Just be honest with what you are, what you have and what you are looking for is all. There is a HUGE difference between nice and LAVISH.

Also, the cost of fire protection is more in Amherst then the city when you consider the donations made by the public. Measure your words before you get on the soap box

Wow, you've taken their "justifications" for wasting taxpayer money hook, line and sinker. Most volunteers spend lots of "time" at the firehouse but when it comes to putting on an air pack and fighting fires they are standing out at the street rubber necking leaving about 10-12 brave hearted firefighters per fire company to carry the workload. Any time you see a volunteer with beard, goatee or big beer gut you're not looking at someone who belongs in the fire service.

Quote Originally Posted by Greener Pastures
    Wow, you've taken their "justifications" for wasting taxpayer money hook, line and sinker. Most volunteers spend lots of "time" at the firehouse but when it comes to putting on an air pack and fighting fires they are standing out at the street rubber necking leaving about 10-12 brave hearted firefighters per fire company to carry the workload. Any time you see a volunteer with beard, goatee or big beer gut you're not looking at someone who belongs in the fire service.

Why can't a firefighter have a beard or a goatee? Not that I like either but to each his own.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by left wing
    Why can't a firefighter have a beard or a goatee? Not that I like either but to each his own.
    Heat from the flames singes hair I would gather.

Hair on Face

A Firefighter that has to put on an airpack cannot have any hair on his/her face that will affect the seal of the mask.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information