Thread: Teen plans to file lawsuit against Paladino

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Teen plans to file lawsuit against Paladino

Teen plans to file lawsuit against Paladino

BUFFALO, NY - Austin Harig plans to file a lawsuit against school board member Carl Paladino. This is the same high school student who ran against Paladino in this week's school board election.

When Paladino talked about his school board election victory, he had harsh words for his opponent, stating the 18-year-old was just suspended from school for tardiness, and not showing up.

Harig now plans to file a lawsuit against Paladino for violating the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act.
    http://www.wgrz.com/news/teen-plans-...no-1/178508727

If anyone knows this person they should be told please don't waste Carl's time with this.

“Mr. Paladino had no business making that public because he just used it to defame my character, and embarrass me," Harig said.
    Well lets review. One issue Buffalo School's have is attendance issues. Someone running for the school board has attendance issues himself and then complains when someone points it out. Apparently Austin would fit right in.

It might have been an appropriate topic during the campaign, but even then the law might have prevented Paladino from releasing that information - for example the IRS can't release Paladino's income tax records just because he is running for office.

But once the election was over I don't think any member of the school board or employee of the school district could release that information.

I think Paladino will be writing a check to the kid for this one.

Considering the election was over and Paladino won, it seems like a real spiteful and dumb move on Paladino's part.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I agree with the both of you two. My main point is you have to somewhat lead by example. One major issue the school's have is poor attendance. So you have someone who has poor attendance running for the school board. I wonder if he was just missing classes or if it was over health issues.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I agree with the both of you two. My main point is you have to somewhat lead by example. One major issue the school's have is poor attendance. So you have someone who has poor attendance running for the school board. I wonder if he was just missing classes or if it was over health issues.
    So now we have two people that failed to lead by example... 18 year-old Harig for skipping highschool classes for unknown reasons, and 70 year-old Paladino for sharing private student records with the media for his own personal amusement, probably with the intent to defame someone's character.

One is a personal issue, the other is an abuse of power. Harig was penalized for his actions. Will Paladino be penalized for his own actions?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    How is something like missing school private information when any kid/teacher in the class sees they are not in class? I'm nor defending Carl. Carl won, should just shut up and focus at the task. So if "student Johnny" mentions to his parents "student Freddy" was suspended for not showing up for class does that means "Johnny's" parents can not mention that to other parents as fact? I don't see how that would be a private record compared to medical records, test scores and/or "personal" family issues.

If I was the kid and Carl stated that about my attendance I'd understand it's true. I wouldn't go sue him but I would respond that the missing of class was based on a valid reason. Health, family issues or what ever. If it was because I'm just missing class just to screw off there is really nothing I could say to justify it. He would right in with the current crop of many politicians in NYS. If it's the law then Carl should deal with what he said. Do you sort of see where I am coming from on this?

Just for curiosity does anyone reading speakup know Austin? Is there a valid reason for missing enough school that you are written up about it?

1) We don't know if Carl won, Carl leads by 107 votes there are 140 absentee ballots.
    2) It wasn't that the kid was missing school that's a problem. Carl reported that he was suspended. Carl alleges he "heard it on the streets". The greater likelihood is that he contacted someone in the district to find out information about this kid.

I don't know about the legality of the issue, but I think Carl is bound by the same laws I am, in that I cannot share any information that makes a student personally identifiable. As such, I can talk about a student "John Doe" who stubbed their toe, but I cannot give enough detail so that anyone can identify John Doe. Carl had better make darn sure it was "on the streets" or he's in *huge* trouble.
    Especially seeing as how he would have access to the relevant information.
    Personally, I hope the kid sues him and prevails. Carl never gave a darn about the kids or education in Buffalo. He just owns a bunch of properties and he wants them all to go up in value by spiking demand and he thinks the schools are keeping that from happening.
    Now that he has lost he, McCarthy, Quinn, etc., are all going to leave.

Harig is being advised by supporters..Teachers union..and others...it's no secret that Paladino's days on the School Board will be numbered, by his aspiration to run for governor..Harig is looking for all the sympathy and support he can garner to replace Carl on the School Board .. when the opportunity arises...besides..what better public relations , sensationalism, free publicity...than an alleged scandal...that many will remember so he can use it to his advantage!

Quote Originally Posted by joe d. View Post
    Harig is being advised by supporters..Teachers union..and others...it's no secret that Paladino's days on the School Board will be numbered, by his aspiration to run for governor..Harig is looking for all the sympathy and support he can garner to replace Carl on the School Board .. when the opportunity arises...besides..what better public relations , sensationalism, free publicity...than an alleged scandal...that many will remember so he can use it to his advantage!
    Personally, I think he is a bit young and perhaps naive to be a contributing member of the board. However, there should be a place where students can have a voice and learn about policy, etc.
    Also, Paladino has proven himself a catastrophe and if he can't work a school board, how the in the world will he govern a state?

sour grapes - call the lawyers.... oh boy, our society is whacked! Do not do the crime if you cannot do the time.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Thread Information