Thread: 4 Year Term for Erie County Legislators is a Bad Idea

4 Year Term for Erie County Legislators is a Bad Idea

The Erie County legislature is a bad idea. It does one thing a year...it passes the budget. The rest of the time is spent scratching themselves. Dump them and Markie who is a hopeless a**hole and go back to the board of supervisors.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Grump were you around when there was a board of supervisors?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Not in Erie county. But what did I say that was wrong? I urge you to attend a few meetings of the leg. & watch while they award certificates to dog catchers etc. There is nothing they do that can't be done by a board of supervisors. Until 1960 or so that's the way all counties except those in NYC were governed.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    You didn't say anything wrong.

I was wondering if your opinion was formed on first hand experience. I see the same issues you do. Award programs and "face time" handing away our money. They support funding groups that in turn help them get reelected the following round. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Not in Erie county. But what did I say that was wrong? I urge you to attend a few meetings of the leg. & watch while they award certificates to dog catchers etc. There is nothing they do that can't be done by a board of supervisors. Until 1960 or so that's the way all counties except those in NYC were governed.
    Yes, but as you know unfortunately the twisted purpose of government is to employ people and nowhere is that more apparent than in WNY, with it's multiple layers and taxing jurisdictions.

Our taxes are insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    Yes, but as you know unfortunately the twisted purpose of government is to employ people and nowhere is that more apparent than in WNY, with it's multiple layers and taxing jurisdictions.

Our taxes are insane.
    I'm reminded of a saying used in Civilization 4. Not sure the original source, and my wording might not be 100%
    "the bureaucracy must be expanded to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy"
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    I'm reminded of a saying used in Civilization 4. Not sure the original source, and my wording might not be 100%
    "the bureaucracy must be expanded to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy"
    The probability of internal collapse increases as complexity and layers increase. Each layer justifies it's existence and need for expansion until the people paying for it are driven to extinction.

Who would have thought Illinois, Detroit and many soon to come would go bankrupt?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    The probability of internal collapse increases as complexity and layers increase. Each layer justifies it's existence and need for expansion until the people paying for it are driven to extinction.

Who would have thought Illinois, Detroit and many soon to come would go bankrupt?

The probability of corruption increases as complexity and layers increase. Each layer justifies it's existence and need for expansion until the net tax payers paying for it move to other lower taxed states. Err something like that.

I was quite young when my county made the switch to executive government. It was about the same time as Erie County made the change. My parents went to school with our first county executive and were on a first name basis with him. That never prevented my father from pointing out the decay in services while the cost to provide increased by leaps and bounds...and how everybody from hell to Harlem in county gov. spent their days finding do nothing jobs for family...just like Markie.

The probability of corruption increases as complexity and layers increase. Each layer justifies it's existence and need for expansion until the net tax payers paying for it move to other lower taxed states. Err something like that.
    exactly!

Thread Information