Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My grandfathers house/bar is for sale again

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Haven't seen anything in the news about it lately.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    My grand father told me there was a lovejoy theater on the corner. This must be what he talked about but the address doesn't make sense. This is listed as 1020 E. Lovejoy Street, Buffalo, NY 14206 but my grand father's address was 1194 Lovejoy.

It also says Lovejoy Street and Davey Street which would be next to his house. I wonder if the house next to the theater in this photo was his.

Located on the corner of Lovejoy Street & Davey Street. Opened as the Lovejoy Palace Theatre in around 1909. It was later renamed Lovejoy Theatre, and was closed and demolished in the late-1940’s. A supermarket was built on the site.

Joe VogelJoe Vogel on December 6, 2013 at 6:33 pm
    The address of the Lovejoy Theatre that was listed in city directories in the 1920s was 1002 Lovejoy Street, which is still the address on the Cricket Wireless building today.

This document (a Microsoft Word file) about some of Buffalo’s silent era theaters quotes the minutes of the common council meeting of March 1, 1909, containing this information about the first Lovejoy Theatre:

“Christian Mumenthaler and one, to build frame nickelodeon, 25x100x15 feet high, front of lot, northwest corner of Lovejoy and Davey streets.”
    It also says that the architect of the Lovejoy Theatre was P.L. Cimini. It also lists him as the architect of the nearby Avon Theatre.
    In addition, it says that the first Lovejoy Theater was demolished in the late 1940s, which I originally misread (or mis-remebered) as simply 1940.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Well this is cool. Two things...

If you look at post 13 my uncle/aunt are sitting on the left side of the photo.

There was a post about a new restaurant opening up on Lovejoy and a poster said "their" uncle ran the bar. Well I had to ask because it my uncle. A woman from his side of the family explain how she was related and had these two photos.

My aunt is the woman sitting all the way on the left and my uncle is standing in the back. I don't know the year but that was a while ago.

Now this photo is older. I was told it was at someone's wedding. Aunt and uncle are on the right.

Now here's some good news..

Grand Opening

Speak Easy
    Spirit-Free for the Free Spirit
    Appetizers
    Mocktails, Non-Alcoholic Beer
    Kambucha & Much More!!!!

Friday September 27th
    1194 E. Lovejoy St
    6:00 PM - Midnight

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Just saw this that was posted in July.

5 women owned business opened in our business district in the past two years and I know of few more opening real soon that are also owned by women. Seeing that we seem to be headed in the right direction and storefronts are starting to fill up again, how does the neighborhood feel about investors purchasing current storefronts and turning them into apartments? I had the pleasure of introducing myself to the real estate agent for 1156 Lovejoy today and he preceded to tell me that many people are interested in buying either to put a “deli/store” or convert it to a 2nd apartment. Neither will ever happen as long I am here, but I’m concerned that real estate agents are not properly representing the community by not telling potential buyers that we are a neighborhood in resurgence and that community groups will not approve of investments that degrade or diminish potential here...
    I see they are talking about my fathers old barber shop. Before that it was a savings and loan type bank before the 70's. I think they hurt the neighborhood when they turned previous store fronts into apartments.

This is really a nice thread bringing back the nostalgia of the past in Buffalo.

Delightful read!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I think it's good that someone is giving it a shot with the bar. Lot of memories and people drank and ate there over the years.

This was the facebook group where I spotted the news about the restaurant opening

https://www.facebook.com/groups/599935473396053/

It's cool that you're learning of these pictures of family
    Where are you seeing these posts?

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    There's a new bar in Lovejoy, that isn't really a bar at all

Posted: 6:40 PM, Sep 26, 2019
    Updated: 6:54 PM, Sep 26, 2019

LOVEJOY, N.Y. (WKBW) — The saying around Lovejoy's new gathering place is "Spirit-free for the Free Spirit." Sandra and Luther Robinson, with their partner Joe Sciandra, have transformed the former Checkmate Bar and Grill into Speak Easy. Checkmate shut down about a year ago following a shooting outside the establishment .
    https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news...Bm9cX1uLZswUbc

It's cool but weird to see the place open. I remember how it looked when family ran the place. I wish I knew where the photo's went that my uncle had. They used to have parties in the basement. There were photo's of the parties hanging in the basement and few behind the bar.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Interesting

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1975...4831667238369/

Greg Siegel‎
    Sorry for the long post....My family owned the Lovejoys....my great aunts Ruth and Sara, as some on is page called them the flashlight sisters. love it. these were the sisters of Jake Rappaport who open the 3rd Lovejoy. Sara also ran the candy counter. Also working were my grandfather and mother Jack and Fanny Siegel, Fanny was also a Rappaport. Some of you might remember Jack, he would be the one taking the tickets once you go through big wooden double doors he would sitting on the tall chair on the left. Jack also would spend hours across the street at the firehouse talking and playing checkers during the day before he would have to go back to the theater and get ready for movie time, My grandmother Fanny also help with the flashlights. My uncle Al was the one in the ticket booth in the lobby selling tickets, I remember he had a full head of white hair and always was smiling, he was married to Sara, I spent many Saturdays watching movies and getting free candy. I also got to see first run movies when my parents helped out on opening nights with the large crowd. I always had the best seat in the house watching from the projection booth. I have posted a picture of the 2nd Lovejoy the first one was built in around 1909 and called the Lovejoy Palace. This one open around 1919 by my great 3x Uncle Sam Rappaport. His son Jake opened the "new" Lovejoy down the street. When Jake passed on, is when the rest of the that generation of family members came aboard and helped run the theater until 1975. From '75 to 79 they rented the theater to keep showing movies but that person failed for many reasons. My father became the executive of the estate and was given options what to do with the building and land. it was decided the best thing to was to stop paying taxes and let the city take over the property. I think turning the building into a community pool was the best outcome for everyone in the area and the way to save the art-deco building. I would love to hear your stories about going to the movies. Thank you for letting me ramble.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Well this is cool

I remember the real phone booth that used to be here

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Alcohol-free bar open for one and all in Buffalo

BUFFALO, N.Y. — Joe Sciandra and Sandi Robinson opened an alcohol-free bar in the Lovejoy neighborhood of Buffalo.

Indeed, an alcohol-free bar.

"Speakeasy Buffalo is a great atmosphere where people can come and eat in a sober environment."
    https://www.wgrz.com/article/enterta...lhCvpROCSj_3Es

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    When Prohibition was in effect

This was in 1932. My grandfather used to tell me stories of all the parties they used to have in the basement of the restaurant. There used to be photos hanging in the basement of the parties but I have no clue who ended up with those.

1932 raid Dry Agents Prohibition

Tony Fracasso - Admin

1928 Prohibition Raid

1928 Prohibition Raid

Four Men Arrested when Agents Find Beer, Wine

John R. Hanny and E. E. Smith were arrested Wednesday night in a raid on the saloon at 1283 Niagara street, where dry agents seized two half barrels of beer.
    In a visit to the Gold Cafe, the 1903 Broadway, the raiders found 11 halves of beer and a bottle of wine and arrested Michael Dinpfle.
    Giuseppe Fracassi was arrested when dry agents found two halves of beer and a bottle of wine in his place at 1194 Lovejoy.

1928 Prohibition Raid

So there is my great grandfather who owned the Lovejoy Tavern before my Grandfather and Uncle. Time flies. That was just over 90 years ago. I wish I took notes when my grand father was alive.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    So it looks like he purchased the building in 1922 from the Magnus Beck Brewing Co.

Magnus Beck Brewing Co. to Joseph Fracasso and one, Lovejoy, n. 33 w. Davey. I highlighted with the red arrow.

1922 Magnus Beck Brewing

Magnus Beck Brewing Co. Inc. opened in 1933 and closed in 1955 it was open for 22 years. Items from breweries of this age tend to be more common and less valuable than some breweries. Early items can still be valuable as can rarer types of items. This listing was active during Prohibition which makes it an oddity. Some breweries were able to stay in business by producing "near-beer" which was very low alcohol, some switched over to bottling sodas or other beverages, some became Ice-houses or other related businesses. Magnus Beck Brewing Co. Inc. was in an active brewing city. Buffalo, NY was listed as having 50 breweries, which is quite a few. Sometimes a large number of breweries can lead to an active collecting community that will be willing to pay more for breweriana items than other collectors.

Address Information: 461/475 North Division St
    http://www.oldbreweries.com/brewerie...o-inc-ny-178g/

Beer in Buffalo has a long and storied history, starting with its first drinking establishment – the Cold Spring Tavern – opening in 1805.

Joseph Webb opened the first brewery in Black Rock in 1811 and by 1831, more than 173,000 bushels of wheat passed through Buffalo to become beer. In 1826, Rudolph Baer’s brewery produce the first home-brewed lager in Buffalo and in 1830, Jacob Roos Brewing opened between Church and York Streets. It later became the Iroquois Brewing Company. Magnus Beck Brewery and Downs Brewery joined it in 1840, followed by the Born Brewery (later renamed the Gerhard Lang Brewing Co.) Lang was also one of the first local breweries to reopen after Prohibition, before shuttering in 1949.

https://buffaloah.com/h/brew/rbcadmin.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information