Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for the Gov to Close Houses of Worship

Time for the Gov to Close Houses of Worship

It has widely been reported that many mosques are used as stages to spew hate for Americans, Israel, Christians and Western culture generally. Some are now seeing this as much more political hate speech and less as protected religious speech.

And perhaps the time is coming to start closing them down.

But anti-Western speech is not the exclusive province of mosques. Consider the following article in today's The News:

CALIFORNIA
    IRS orders church to provide documents

9/17/2006

LOS ANGELES (AP) - The Internal Revenue Service has ordered a prominent liberal church to turn over documents and e-mails it produced during the 2004 election year that contain references to political candidates.
    The IRS is investigating whether All Saints Episcopal Church in Pasadena violated the federal tax code when its then-rector, the Rev. George F. Regas, delivered a sermon against the Iraq War on the eve of the presidential election.

Tax-exempt organizations are barred from intervening in political campaigns and elections, and the church could lose its tax-exempt status.

The Rev. Ed Bacon was ordered Thursday to testify before IRS officials Oct. 11. He said he will inform his 3,500 congregants about the investigation at today's services and will seek their advice on whether to comply.

"There is a lot at stake here," Bacon said. "If the IRS prevails, it will have a chilling effect on the practice of religion in America."

An IRS spokesman declined comment on the investigation.

Is the Federal govt preparing to proceed against houses of worship used for political purposes. And to provide PC coverage, will they move against Christian churches first?

And of all Christian churches, what is more stereotypically identified with the mainstream and elite as the Episcopal Church?
    Truth springs from argument among friends.

Sometimes, it's what churches don't do that is also politically motivated.

The National Cathedral outside of Washington D.C. is also an Episcopal parish. Its cornerstone was laid by Teddy Roosevelt in 1903.

Each November, the United States Marine Corps celebrates its anniversary with a service there. About ten years ago, the Corps said it would like Dr. James Dobson to deliver the sermon.

Dr. Dobson is a renowned Christian activist and is the founder of "Focus on the Family". Dr. Dobson has a PhD in developmental psychology, but is regularly mis-identified as a minister (agnostics everywhere like to lump all vocal, public Christians together as "Bible-Thumpers.")

The hierarchy of the Cathedral was aghast. The Dean said "No" to Dr. Dobson. As did the Rector and the Canon of the Cathedral. The USMC said,"This is our celebration and we'll invite whom we damn well please." When the papers got wind of it, the hierarchy backed down and Dr. Dobson delivered the sermon.

Just this month, the National Cathedral welcomed the former President of Iran to speak at the Cathedral. As the Chief Intolerant in a nation of intorlerants, during his presidency anything that smacked of political or religious dissension was ruthlessly stamped out. In Iran, religious freedom is viewed as dissension.

How can we win the War on Terror when our own institutions have no functioning moral compass as to what is right and wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by biker
    Sometimes, it's what churches don't do that is also politically motivated.

The National Cathedral outside of Washington D.C. is also an Episcopal parish. Its cornerstone was laid by Teddy Roosevelt in 1903.

Just this month, the National Cathedral welcomed the former President of Iran to speak at the Cathedral. As the Chief Intolerant in a nation of intorlerants, during his presidency anything that smacked of political or religious dissension was ruthlessly stamped out. In Iran, religious freedom is viewed as dissension.

How can we win the War on Terror when our own institutions have no functioning moral compass as to what is right and wrong?
    You have hit the nail on the head.
    It is time to review religious tenets as to the purpose for the religion and the protection of that religion through the US Constitution and our laws.
    When a masque is being used for hate speech and to stir up anti-US sentiment, it is time to disband such church or religion. There still is such a thing as treason. It just needs enforcement.

When a masque is being used for hate speech and to stir up anti-US sentiment, it is time to disband such church or religion.
    Seems to me like a smart law enforcement agency would see the mosque as a great opportunity for surveillance. Why break it up?

Had it not been for the Bergen Hunt and Fish Club, John Gotti may have died a free man.

I think bugging Vito's LotsaPasta or a Hunt Club would be viewed by the courts differently than an Islamic brainwashing/hate camp---errr, mosque.

I think bugging Vito's LotsaPasta or a Hunt Club would be viewed by the courts differently than an Islamic brainwashing/hate camp---errr, mosque.
    True. They'd have only one or two possible suspects at the pizza joint and one or two hundred at the mosque.
    The evil hide even when no one is chasing them.- Proverbs

Soo....what you're saying is that, the courts would probably frown on bugging a Mosque......but they should be allowed to close them down??

I don't see your logic. Or is it just a "In a perfect world, we'd do such and such" thing??

I'm not being a wise guy here, I'm just trying to undertstand.

The courts are not going to shut down anything. Lawyers in a circle jerk sometimes deal with criminal issues appropriately. The allusion to Gotti was a civil/criminal matter.

The War on Terror is a war, not a criminal justice issue. To think the solution to Islamo-facism is to send in Wyatt Earp is to concede defeat.

In dealing with people who want to extirminate you, the only solution in your favor is to kill them first.

All of them.

Probably the only way the West will way up is if these whack jobs actually try to kill the Pope.

Then the whole Western world will turn to do battle with its enemies.

Except for maybe, France.
    And Germany.
    Probably not Italy, Belgium and the Netherlands.
    The Scandanavians will probably opt out, figuring the Arabs won't like countries that cold.
    The Russians will probably decide they're actually an Eastern country at that point, so they'll pass too.

So, except for those minor exceptions, the entire Western world might unite.

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    Soo....what you're saying is that, the courts would probably frown on bugging a Mosque......but they should be allowed to close them down??

I don't see your logic. Or is it just a "In a perfect world, we'd do such and such" thing??

I'm not being a wise guy here, I'm just trying to undertstand.
    With our Constitution, they cannot close them down. I also agree if they are open info can be gained, but why allow it to permeate here in the USA?
    Then there is the awful problem the libs have with NSA, FICA, wire-tapping, seizure laws, militarily tribunals and just plain prosecuting a war against a verified and known enemy.

LHardy:

The libs want to leave the mosques alone to prove how tolerant the libs are, no matter how many Americans die as a result. Remember, the Dem/libs have their eternal excuse:

"Our intentions were good.

This fifth column thinks that excuses all their abhorrent behavior.

If you want to see what we are fighting, watch this very brave Muslim lady and her description:

http://switch5.castup.net/frames/200...050wmv&ak=null

You can never discount the value of a Church when it comes to stirring up those bent on revolution and war.....just look at the role of the Old North Church in Boston

http://www.oldnorth.com/
    "The horror........The horror..........."

Quote Originally Posted by LHardy
    It is time to review religious tenets as to the purpose for the religion and the protection of that religion through the US Constitution and our laws.
    Sometimes you guys really scare me.

Believing in religious tolerance isn't called being a "lib" its called being an American. Remember that silly thing we have called the constitution, and that other thing called the Bill of rights?

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Steven:

I don't think the framers of the Constitution envisioned houses of worship being used as staging grounds for violence. And I respect the words of one who protected and defended that Constitution.

I think people should be free to pursue their own faiths and beliefs. But not when part of the dogma is violence.

That's all.

I guess as another example of my boundaries, WRT religion is today's visit by the Dalai Lama (sp?).

I think it's great he's here and that a lot of people are going to see and listen to him.

I don't think it's great that Christian Bishops will be performing an ecumenical service with him. That's turning their faith into mush.

I don't think St. Paul would have performed an ecumenical service with him.

I also don't think there should be Christian or Jewish protests outside of where he's speaking. It's even silly to imagine it.

I wonder what the reception in a Muslim country for this guy would be?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information